CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
USAW Sports Performance Coach vs CSCS

I'm pretty familiar with the CSCS certification, but not familiar with USA Weightlifting's Sports Performance Coach cert. I see that the USAW cert has no prereqs. Is it a nationally recognized certification? Can you get insurance based on this certification? Seems like it might be a more appropriate cert for somebody interested in opening an affiliate.

I was planning on taking the CSCS exam later this year, but would reconsider if the Sports Performance Coach would achieve the same goal.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Dave Rubin

Profile:
Re: USAW Sports Performance Coach vs CSCS

Dan

I chose to get my CSCS first, mainly for its wide recognition in the sports community. Good or bad it's instant credibility with certain populatoins. I'm still thinking of getting the USAW. I really would like to stick with all the CF certs, but I do think there is a little something to be said for the name recognition.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hollingsworth View Post
I'm pretty familiar with the CSCS certification, but not familiar with USA Weightlifting's Sports Performance Coach cert. I see that the USAW cert has no prereqs. Is it a nationally recognized certification? Can you get insurance based on this certification? Seems like it might be a more appropriate cert for somebody interested in opening an affiliate.

I was planning on taking the CSCS exam later this year, but would reconsider if the Sports Performance Coach would achieve the same goal.
Hi Dan

I have been around the business for a while and have never heard of the USA Weightlifting cert. I would say that for sure CSCS is more recognized. I am sure you know this already but CSCS is the standard for sports strength coaches. I am not sure how much that gives you as an affiliate though. In any case, when I see CSCS after somebody's name, I figure that they probably know what they are doing. Can't say the same about many other certs. The USAW might be a great cert (maybe beter than CSCS) but I don't think the recognition factor is nearly there. I think more potential clients would recognize CSCS. Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. I have most of the CSCS study materials. THey are generally OK but are a bit old school and a bit one dimensional. You have to supplement them for a good knowledge base (i.e., with Rip's stuff).

Mike
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Hey -

I've been around for a while, have heard of both, and have worked with people with each.

Depends COMPLETELY what you want to do with the credential.

Each is great, and equally respected and/or useless in different circles.

So.... what do you want to do with it/get out of it?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

ok here i the scoop from my experience:

the cscs is more of a scientific base test, you read and study the materials you get tested from a paper and video test. no hands on practical needed.

the usaw sport conditioning is a specific certification inlcudes an extensive two day hands on practical learning and a very easy test to learn how to begin to see and discern movemnet. there is a written test at the end.

Both are generally a requirement for a strength coach to have when applying for universities or a franchise like velocity.

personally, i find that its up to the individual to choose the certification that they want to focus on: clinical, strength coach, olympic coach, general personal trainer, or even crossfit, etc..

the only reason i picked the usaw was it was held locally and cheaper at $335 rather than the crossfit oly cert. Nothing against the coaching staff, just a money issue. i would love to get certs in all crossfit, but its going take some time and money.

find out what is best for your situation and run with it, make the best of it, and help others achieve it.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Sean Manseau

Profile:

My two cents: I got my CSCS last year, for some of the reasons mentioned above. But I really haven't found it to be useful. (At the time I actually chose the CSCS over my CF level II, a decision for which I'm kicking myself.)

The thing to keep in mind is you have to continually "renew" a CSCS--that is, the NSCA requires you to earn a certain number of CEUs (by writing articles for the S&C Journal, attending NSCA-approved seminars, taking online quizzes, etc) each year in order to retain your credential. I'm seriously thinking of letting it go--and if someone has a compelling reason to not do so, I'd love to hear it, because I've really been on the fence. I too like the "legitimacy" the CSCS confers*, but I don't feel like forking over $300 to the NSCA every year for the rest of my career.

As far as I know, that USAW certification is yours to keep. I've been waiting for a Sports Performance Coach training weekend to be held locally so I can attend.

Dan, I've been seeing your posts on here as you prepare to affiliate, and I appreciate the care you're taking. You're going to do great things!

*Which begs the question, "In whose eyes?", because I know none of our athletes have any idea what that cred does or does not mean. Ultimately all that matters is, do you know your stuff? Can you communicate what you know to your athletes successfully? And do you know enough to know how you much you *don't* know, so you'll keep busting your a** to learn?

Last edited by Sean Manseau : 10-02-2008 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Manseau View Post
My two cents: I got my CSCS last year, for some of the reasons mentioned above. But I really haven't found it to be useful. (At the time I actually chose the CSCS over my CF level II, a decision for which I'm kicking myself.)

The thing to keep in mind is you have to continually "renew" a CSCS--that is, the NSCA requires you to earn a certain number of CEUs (by writing articles for the S&C Journal, attending NSCA-approved seminars, taking online quizzes, etc) each year in order to retain your credential. I'm seriously thinking of letting it go--and if someone has a compelling reason to not do so, I'd love to hear it, because I've really been on the fence. I too like the "legitimacy" the CSCS confers*, but I don't feel like forking over $300 to the NSCA every year for the rest of my career.

As far as I know, that USAW certification is yours to keep. I've been waiting for a Sports Performance Coach training weekend to be held locally so I can attend.

Dan, I've been seeing your posts on here as you prepare to affiliate, and I appreciate the care you're taking. You're going to do great things!

*Which begs the question, "In whose eyes?", because I know none of our athletes have any idea what that cred does or does not mean. Ultimately all that matters is, do you know your stuff? Can you communicate what you know to your athletes successfully? And do you know enough to know how you much you *don't* know, so you'll keep busting your a** to learn?
Very good points.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
You only have to "renew" your CSCS every three years. Because you got yours last year, you should either be exempt from this cycle of renewal, or only have to accumulate a prorated number of con-ed units. And, the cost is much less than $300. The last cylce I renewed for $40, that $40 to cover a three year period.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Jason M Struck

Profile:

* can you get athletes if a college won't hire you b/c you have no CSCS?

all previous posts are excellent. I will say this; I don't think the USAW sports performance cert is that great. It's too basic, and doesn't really teach much about weightlifting as the name implies, it's about high hang power cleans for linebackers.

For crossfitters or amateur lifters? not so good.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Sean Manseau

Profile:

Just got off the phone with the NSCA. Everyone awarded a CSCS since 2005 has to re-certify this year.

here's the score: if you got it in 2005, you have to turn in 6 CEUs. Because I got mine Dec. of last year, I have to turn in 2. Someone who got his/hers in Jan. of this year has to turn in 1.

Not sure what the cost is going to be, but the CEUs have to be from different categories. One online quiz counts for one CEU--but you can take only one. To balance that, I'll have to take a couple first aid-type classes, which count for .5 CEUs. Judging by my Red Cross First Aid/CPR last year, that's another hundred bucks, at least. So yeah, not $300...but still maybe more than it's worth.

Last edited by Sean Manseau : 10-02-2008 at 09:20 AM.