CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: More injuries in crossfit than in other fittness programs?

In terms of raw numbers, basketball and soccer are way more dangerous than gymnastics, Olympic weightlifting, and track&field, which can be seen as the main components of Crossfit.
I'd be more worried about twisting an ankle or knee on a wet field or basketball court than in doing an intense WOD.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

" " I think you should add, "when combined with a big ego and not so much common sense!" "

This sounds very common in all males, especially as the younger the male is.

Probably one of the biggest cause of injuries amongst Crossfitters on their own is percieved execution of form. For instance, video was not very flattering of my olympic lifting.

A lack of form and a lack of physical preparation are a good combination for an injury waiting to happen.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
In terms of raw numbers, basketball and soccer are way more dangerous than gymnastics, Olympic weightlifting, and track&field, which can be seen as the main components of Crossfit.
I'd be more worried about twisting an ankle or knee on a wet field or basketball court than in doing an intense WOD.
Yep. Hubbie plays b-ball every week. Not a week goes by when someone doesn't get injured. Twisted ankles, jammed fingers, knee injuries, achilles problems, it just goes on and on.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #14
Ed Haywood

Profile:

The OP is not comparing Crossfit foundational sports to other competitive sports. He is comparing the Crossfit training program to other training programs from an injury perspective. That is a legitimate question.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i remember hearing a sports medicine doctor talk about high school sport injuries and he said girl's cross country has more injuries then even football. i am guessing it is a lot of overuse injuries.

crossfit like any other physical activity has the risk of injury, but i believe xfit's advantage is that it's always changing so less overuse injuries.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Christopher E Bloom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olsen View Post
Crossfitt is a pretty rapid form of training, may this cause more injuries than other programs who is slower in movements. What do you think?
Best direct answer I can come up with to this question is:
Sort of.

Long answer is:
CROSSFIT IS SCALABLE in both load and speed. The key component to CrossFit (should be in any customizable fitness program) is that it is scalable. We have all said it, we have all heard it, and we have all done it. The key is to ensure you do it as needed and don't let Ego get in the way. Don't be afraid to drop the weight or slow down your pace. We can't train like we are competing in the CF Games during every WoD.

The goal of CrossFit is to get the best time/ load/ rounds etc on the prescribed WoD. If completing the prescribed WoD is not an option we, as athletes and coaches supervising athletes, need to drop the load and accept the fact that "life" will not let me (1) complete the WoD as prescribed or (2) set a PR if I am able to complete as RX'd. Although I am a competitive person, I feel no shame in doing Knee Pushups halfway through Murph in order to keep my WoD intensity up. I proudly mark the board (journal, website, log etc) as such and will never claim that all 200 PU's were as RX'd. One of these days, I'm gonna finish Murph as prescribed. In the mean time, Knee pushups and Push Up practice will have to suffice. I'm not willing to knock out my teeth or give myself Rhabdo to get a better Murph time.

I will never laugh at an athlete using the 10lb training bar with 5lb bumpers for thrusters and the Black Iron Woody Band for a Fran WoD. In fact, I will make an attempt to commend them for completing the scaled version and complement their effort (tactfully and in a way that they know is sincere and not poking fun at them).

To answer the original question, Yes there is more potential for Injury in CrossFit but with some good coaching supervision and an ego check at the door, you can see better results from CrossFit than with many other "Miracle" fitness programs.

WoD's don't hurt people. I mean, correct me if I am wrong but, CrossFit injuries are generally a result of Mis-scaling a WoD rather than the result of the WoD itself. That is just my personal observation.

Agree... Disagree?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
The OP is not comparing Crossfit foundational sports to other competitive sports. He is comparing the Crossfit training program to other training programs from an injury perspective. That is a legitimate question.
I agree. And absent any data I'd imagine that CrossFitters do exeperience a higher rate of injury than most other fitness enthusiasts.

But even that comparison is slightly skewed. The bulk of fitness programs involve limited intensity and movement pools and therefore produce limited results. Many, if not most, Crossfitters are pushing at far greater intensity than the average fitness participant. In my estimation, that variable is just as culpable for any increased rate of injury as any other. Add to that the exercises necessary to increase balance, agility, and coordination, and that rate of injury is likely to increase.

Perhaps a better question would be, "Is any increased rate of injury in CrossFit as compared to other fitness protocols, comensurate to the increase in all elements of fitness developed by CrossFit as compared to other fitness protocols?" (I would guess that for the competent CrossFitter, the increase in fitness far outpaces any increase in rate of injury.) Then you can ask if the increased fitness is worth the increased chance of injury.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Yes, exactly. It's Risk vs. Reward, like investing or business. If you want big fitness gains, you have to up the intensity, and with increased intensity comes increased risk of injury.

It's absolutely worth it to me, and probably to everyone else on this site. However, we can't casually dismiss the fact that Crossfit is more challenging to learn than traditional fitness programs, and that inadequately coached crossfitters probably do subject themselves to increased risk of injury compared to other programs. There are plenty of resources available to get coached and reduce the risk. The crossfit community does a great job of steering people towards resources such as the main site videos, these forums, affiliates, and certs. But I think it's undisputable that crossfitters push closer to the edge than globogym machine riders, with consequent increased risk of injury that must be offset by a more diligent learning cycle.

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 09-26-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Isn't there at least one journal article on efficacy of CrossFit and the REDUCED incidence of injury versus "traditional" training -- either for Canadian police/military or US SOF?

I know I've read it, but I can't think of where right now.
found it - wfs

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ity_Tested.pdf

Nope - that one is not it...
Still looking

Okay-
I guess this was it, towards the end of the article (begins page 31 of 39) - wfs
http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ief_Aug-06.pdf

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 09-26-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: found article
Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
Ed Haywood

Profile:

The first article does contain data establishing a reduced rate of injury for Crossfit vs the standard Canadian Army fitness program. There were 6 RTU injuries for the CA program versus only 2 for the crossfit program. But the soldiers in that study had crossfit certified instructors, so I don't believe the results can be extrapolated to non-coached or self-taught crossfitters.

It's also worth noting that the control group ran twice as much as the crossfit group. In my personal military experience, group runs were always a good injury generator, and you could pretty much count on a few twisted ankles and knees if you ran on rough ground, or stress fractures if you ran on pavement.

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 09-26-2008 at 03:09 PM.