CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Stephen Smith

Profile:
dislocated elbow

I was trying to do an L-sit on parallettes today and I had my elbows hyperextended, and dislocated my left elbow. The radius bone popped out and looked pretty jacked up, but when I straightened my arm it popped back in. It's a bit sore and stiff right now, but I was able to (with great care and very deliberate movements) complete my workout without much difficulty. I haven't decided yet whether I will go to the doctor, since I'm not sure they could do anything for me anyway short of surgery, and I don't want to go that route. I would like some advice for care and recovery following something like this. This is the first time I've ever hurt an elbow and I have no experience here.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: dislocated elbow

Well, you should go see the md for this, only for an xray to ensure you havent chip the bone or make sure the alignment is correct. If the joint is working, most likely you in correctly.
If you haven't loss any sensation to your hand then its in correctly.

ICE ICE ICE for 15 mins every hour and keep moving the arm.. just dont lift anything.

You should consider looking for some rehab exercises to re strengthen that joint again.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Second the doctor - too many with injuries, issues lately wondering whether they should go to the doctor when they do something abnormal or have something weird going on.

Go!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I hear what you're saying... I've been beaten up enough and I have good enough body awareness that I haven't been wrong in an injury self-diagnosis in decades, but it can't hurt to drop a $10 co-pay at the urgent care to get a professional look at it just to be safe...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

No idea what your current fitness levels are. Definitely need to go seek some form of medical advice from a pro.

1. You could have natural hyperextension in your elbows.

2. Possibly you do not have a lot of bent arm strength developed.

- Most kids when learning supports at first lack a lot of bent arm pull and push strength but considering they are 2-4x lighter than adults probably decreases their risk of a similar injury even if they do have freaky elbow syndrome.

3. You may have tried the L sit after exhausting the existing strength/power surrounding your elbow.

Weird. I went through your log and I would say general pull and push strength isn't the problem and call it # 1. If this is the case, you will always have to be careful about lockout since when you lockout your elbow is at a disadvantaged position. That you continued some pushups and rows is either a good sign or possibly detrimental.

If a doc can't find anything abnormal, just chalk it up to being a freak with freak elbows and being lucky and keep it in mind.

You might want to tackle L sits without turning the inside of the elbow forward. Have it face the side of your body as this will let your shoulder take a bit more of the work than the tricep

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe : 09-27-2008 at 12:14 AM.