CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Heather G. Patterson

Profile:
Yet, another New Member

Hello to all-

I am VERY new to this crossFit program. I did my first workout on Sunday, and have been following the WOD, one day behind. Did Murph today. A little about me. I was NOT an athlete to begin with, but decided to get fit about 5 years ago by doing aerobic tapes like the FIRM and Tae Boe. That started the weightloss and fitness, but I quickly found that I enjoyed working out. I did "light" weights and lots of cardio. I discovered I love to run, and have successfully completed 2 marathons (qualifiying for Boston), several 1/2's and countless 10k's and 5k's. I now cycle and do a little swimming in the hopes of maybe doing a tri. 2 years ago I discovered rowing and that is my new love. But in finding it, I found out that I had the WRONG muscle makeup. Long distance running and explosive power of rowing really doesn't mix. I was told my coach last year to "Hit the weights". Which I attempted for all of 1 month. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the muscle strength, but I hated the boring of the machines. So I fell back on my cardio and that got me through for the last year, but I am now at the point where I NEED muscle. So rather than running another marathon this fall, I was going back to the machines. THEN, one of my rowing buddies showed me Nasty Girls and DAMN!!!!! Those girls are strong and have the explosive power I need. They are my size and don't look like Hulk Hogan....and the workouts looked fun, hard, and right up my alley. Now 3 days later, I am hooked. I can't wait to try the workouts and I was blest to have had Shane Hammon, the USA olympic weightlifter, coaching at my boathouse for awhile so those lifts aren't foreign to me...and I love that fact that I am intergrating running, rowing, and weightlifting in one workout.

I will be asking lots of questions and needing lots of guidance.

Heather
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: Yet, another New Member

Oops, this looks like the OP double-posted.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Brian Wahl

Profile:

Where is this Boathouse? Do you do CrossFit stuff there?

I'm in OKC working out at All-American Fitness, which isn't very crossfit-friendly...

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Heather G. Patterson

Profile:

I work out at the Chesapeake Boathouse that is located in bricktown. It is off of Lincoln and Reno in Regatta Park. It is somewhat Crossfit friendly in that it has the equipment for the olympic weight lifting and well as plenty of C2s. It is also part of the river trails so there are several miles for running that is protected. It doesn't have weightballs nor kettlebells. Seeing that I am new to crossfit, I don't really know how lacking it might be. Please feel free to come and visit and look for yourself. You can get a membership there that doesn't include the rowing aspect.

Hope this helps. Go to the following website for more info:

www.chesapeakeboathouse.org

Heather
Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Marc Tower

Profile:

It's good to see fellow Okies here! If you're ever in Stillwater, come visit us, we have a good CrossFit group.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Lee Austin

Profile:

Hey Heather,
I've been going to OKC regattas since before they even broke ground on that boathouse (most recently for the junior regionals back in May? Or June? It was really freakin' hot, whenever it was.) and have probably passed you on the trail. I've just started Crossfit too and I'm really hoping it'll help my erg scores.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather G. Patterson View Post
2 years ago I discovered rowing and that is my new love. But in finding it, I found out that I had the WRONG muscle makeup. Long distance running and explosive power of rowing really doesn't mix.
Heather,

Elite rowers are primarily "slow twitch." Rowing is not explosive power. It's strength/endurance.

Check this out:

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/rowphys.htm