CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: strengthening muscles around knee????

1. straight-leg isometric VMO squeeze (100x day; hold 20 secs)
  2. isometric wall squat (with foam or ball squeezed between knees as hard as possible)
  3. Peterson step ups
  4. terminal knee extensions
  5. backwards sled dragging
  6. backwards power walk incline treadmill
Most of these can be googled or found on YouTube.

Squatting is BAD only if your VMO is still not fully engaging. To squat with a weakened VMO only strengthens the outer quad causing more imbalance. Squatting is GOOD/GREAT but only deep and only when you've got the VMO firing.

That's what I learned (and practice) as a past knee sufferer.
Good luck.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Joel Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
The problem with these type of exercises is that it has no crossover to actual knee stability. In leg extensions you isolate the quad. Never ever ever ever in any functional movement (running, jumping, walking, stairs, lunges, sitting, standing, etc) do you ever use your quad in isolation. It is always working in concert with your Hamstring to balance the forces on both sides of the knee. When you do an isolation movement like leg extensions the neural pathway from the brain to the muscle that is used is different from the one that is used when you do a functional exercise (like squats!). Not only is it different but the pathway developed in isolation exercises cannot be used during functional movement (walking, jumping, running...). So any strength you gain does not help stabilize your knee when you actually need it too.

If you want to increase stability in the knee you need to strengthen it using functional exercises that will carry over to real life uses. Isolation work is useful for the first week or two after a major surgery, other than that...
problem is, those "fuctional exercise" while great, hurt and bother the knee... ideally it would be best if it can be tolerated, but at times for me it cannot be
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Thomas View Post
problem is, those "fuctional exercise" while great, hurt and bother the knee... ideally it would be best if it can be tolerated, but at times for me it cannot be
Typically pain when doing squats is associated with not doing them properly. Either find a good coach in the area or you can try posting some videos to get your form checked out. I do not know a single person who when doing squats properly has pain, regardless of prior injuries or even full knee replacements.

-Robert
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
Joel Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Typically pain when doing squats is associated with not doing them properly. Either find a good coach in the area or you can try posting some videos to get your form checked out. I do not know a single person who when doing squats properly has pain, regardless of prior injuries or even full knee replacements.

-Robert
its not my issue now, but 2 years ago i had a bad meniscus and could barely bend my knee down in squat position 1 time with 0 weight. so SOME injuries prevent squats... i will try to slowly and lightly add them since it seems they are so helpful
Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I had the same issue with my knees a couple months ago. I had the weak knee feeling for a while then, I started getting really bad knee pain. I started pose running and within a week, the pain and weak feeling were gone. I don't have any problems now. I've been messing with starting strength and move up in weight with the squat just about every time I go in the gym. No pains.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #16
Steven Holm

Profile:

Wow, good advice from everyone. I definitely want to try Pose running too. I'll have to search the site to find out how to do it. I always hear about it on here.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #17
James Dent

Profile:

I've had multiple knee ops and this is working for me - no impact:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/V...74&ItemID=1934
Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #18
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i would also recommend starting strength and i will also testify to the effectiveness of pose. i used to have really bad shin splints, actually it was compartment syndrome, and changing to the pose fixed it.

i understand squats can be scary when you first start doing them. take it slow and use a chair under you. just sit in the chair and stand back up. this way you don't have to worry about over stressing your knee at first.

but what i have found strengthens the knee the best is riding a bike. its low impact and really strengthens all the muscles around the knee. if you use the pedals with the clips you can get better leg work because you also get the pull as much as the push.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
Tom Meehan

Profile:

Isolation exercises are generally poor - it's especially hard to "isolate" the VMO. With that said, there is some carryover with working muscle in "relative" isolation to performing compound movements. Most athletes have weak links that interfere with performing movements effeciently and it can be beneficial to focus on specific areas - in your case knee stability. The VMO is a freequent culprit in patellar tracking issues. EMG (electomyographic) studies of various VMO exercises have found that most do not significantly isolate the VMO. One exercise that has been found to put greater stress on the VMO is backward running/walking - a plus is that it is functional.

An area I suggest looking into is McConnel taping. It is generally easy to do and helps stabilize the patella, especially during running.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:

-Robert
Robert (and others),

I have apparently been doing squats incorrectly for basically 40 years, per what Rip says in the "Squats" chapter of SS. While my injured r/knee feels tons better when I follow the guidelines Rip teaches, my VMO is still apparently weaker than my VLO. I have had a "slight" tracking problem in the past year and 5 months since my surgery to reattach the three avulsed quad tendons. Leg extensions with my right leg as described by Steven Holm have helped immensely. I'm getting less "popping" and crepitus now that I've been doing these exercises again for the past week. The knee also seems to feel more stable when I squat the "SS way."