CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Joel Thomas

Profile:
strengthening muscles around knee????

ive had tracking issues, general pain, and a feeling of weak knees... i get insurance in like 3 days, but in the past the docs have always told me to enlarge the muscles around the knees to help these issues.... is that true?? why does that help? my knees are awful and really hurts the concept of doing CF... im trying to get into it and fix them at the same time...

any tips? or what to ask the docs when i go in next week?
thanks!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: strengthening muscles around knee????

Squat.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Joel Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Squat.
really? could you be more specific? because i was told thats the worst thing i could do....
Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Squatting is only bad for the knees if done with improper form, or done to an improper depth. I'd recommend picking up starting strength by Mark Rippetoe, which goes into depth ( no pun intended) on not only what the correct form is but WHY it is correct form. And also explains why not only is going deep not bad for your knee but in fact good for it.

Do air squats hurt your knee?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Thomas View Post
really? could you be more specific? because i was told thats the worst thing i could do....
I'd also check your diet - added bodyweight isn't good for your knee either.

Most doctors are going to say its the worst thing you can do because they treat people who don't squat properly and therefore its "bad for your knees". Its amazingly good for your knees to squat properly. Its good for your whole body to squat properly. I squat many times a day, but not out in the front lawn as my neighbors already think I'm crazy enough.

I second the Starting Strength.

In the mean time: (wfs) Squats: https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/c...tr=HOME:cfjart
CrossFit Total (has a section on back squat): http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...06_CFTotal.pdf
Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Joel Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'd also check your diet - added bodyweight isn't good for your knee either.

Most doctors are going to say its the worst thing you can do because they treat people who don't squat properly and therefore its "bad for your knees". Its amazingly good for your knees to squat properly. Its good for your whole body to squat properly. I squat many times a day, but not out in the front lawn as my neighbors already think I'm crazy enough.

I second the Starting Strength.

In the mean time: (wfs) Squats: https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/c...tr=HOME:cfjart
CrossFit Total (has a section on back squat): http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...06_CFTotal.pdf
ahh ok i see... thanks for the info.. i will have to refine how ive been doing them
Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Matthias Neumann

Profile:

For starters, you could try the strengthening knee exercises on http://www.bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html (work/family safe); scroll down to "Strengthening Knee Exercises".

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

A basic linear progression of Back Squatting would do wonders for your knee pain. Either order Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or find a coach in your area, or both and start right away on strength training. It will be the fastest and most permanent way to fix knee pain/problems.

-Robert
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Steven Holm

Profile:

I've got similar knee problems, and my chiropractor told me to start doing single leg, leg extensions, with my foot turned around 15 degrees outward. And the key is to really emphasize a one second pause at the top of the R.O.M.
I've been doing this every few days, and while it is not very crossfit like, it's really helped it so far with strengthening, and helping to properly locate the knee cap.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
I've got similar knee problems, and my chiropractor told me to start doing single leg, leg extensions, with my foot turned around 15 degrees outward. And the key is to really emphasize a one second pause at the top of the R.O.M.
I've been doing this every few days, and while it is not very crossfit like, it's really helped it so far with strengthening, and helping to properly locate the knee cap.
The problem with these type of exercises is that it has no crossover to actual knee stability. In leg extensions you isolate the quad. Never ever ever ever in any functional movement (running, jumping, walking, stairs, lunges, sitting, standing, etc) do you ever use your quad in isolation. It is always working in concert with your Hamstring to balance the forces on both sides of the knee. When you do an isolation movement like leg extensions the neural pathway from the brain to the muscle that is used is different from the one that is used when you do a functional exercise (like squats!). Not only is it different but the pathway developed in isolation exercises cannot be used during functional movement (walking, jumping, running...). So any strength you gain does not help stabilize your knee when you actually need it too.

If you want to increase stability in the knee you need to strengthen it using functional exercises that will carry over to real life uses. Isolation work is useful for the first week or two after a major surgery, other than that...