CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Alex Straus

Profile:
Just my 2cents ...

a good friend of mine who was morbidly obese started taking up walking as well as a very healthy diet and started shedding weight like crazy. He told me that walking is just a start, but a good start. Every day after dinner he walks for about an hour at a brisk pace. Eventually he says hes going to start doing more and more in terms of exercising, but I think that for someone like him, walking is an excellent exercise. For people like us, walking is , but hey, to each his own.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I do consider it a low grade workout but it does have it's bennefits.

As long as people realize walking is a low grade workout, that's A-OK. It's when the medical community calls it a "great" exercise that the problems start...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Scott Kustes

Profile:
The article is right as are all of us in this thread. Walking is a good form of activity, IF it isn't your only form of exercise. Those that are aiming to get fit by walking alone are deluding themselves, much like the water aerobics crew. As the article points out (and as we all know), fitness requires some heavy breathing and probably a drop or two of sweat too.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Scott, I take high offense to your comment about sweating. I mean seriously, why would you encourage guys to ruin their silk gym shirts and gelled hair? And women's makeup????? Are you aware of what happens when 5lbs of foundation and mascara collide with sweat? That's just insane.

:harhar00:

On a more serious note, as mentioned above, walking is great stepping stone for people who are extremely over weight and/or out of shape.

But it's also great as a form of active recovery for those who work hard. So while I agree it's not going to produce elite athletes, it certainly has a valid place in our routines.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Just think...thousands of years ago walking was travel from place to place for water and food....running was the way to catch food, or not be food for something else....now with all wonderful modern technology and society, running is not needed to survive...and neither is walking. Nature kept us fit and alive long ago...modern times has only hurt that symbiotic relationship.

Wow....so deep....must of read Walden Pond or something lately. ha,
Old 09-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
Peter Queen

Profile:
"As long as people realize walking is a low grade workout, that's A-OK. It's when the medical community calls it a "great" exercise that the problems start..."
Lincoln: no disagreement from me there.
I do a lot more than just walk. I just wanted to point out that it is not a bad form of exercise.

"For people like us, walking is ..."
Wow, Alex, don't hold back, tell us how you realy feel.:lol:

"So while I agree it's not going to produce elite athletes, it certainly has a valid place in our routines.
Anthony: Thank Youuuuuuu!:happy:

"back in my day...we walked uphill both ways...in 10' of snow...."
Mike, you forgot "barefooted":rofl:

Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Walking isn't a workout unless you're 50+ lbs overweight or you're really old and just starting to w/o, or, if you're fit, you're walking up a mountain, or you're doing rucksack marches. Unless you're (doing) one of those, then walking as a means of transportation is just a great means to have a physically active lifestyle.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #18
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Mike, funny you should mention Walden Pond - I've heard it said that Thoreau used to walk upwards of four hours a day.

A commenter on Devaney's site recently paraphrased Cordain as saying hunter/gatherers would walk 15km a day to gather food - I suspect that's probably a foraging range, rather than a daily average, but, you know, our hip structure and upright posture bear testimony to our ancestral need and ability to cover a lot of ground.

Clarence Bass is a big advocate of combining frequent walking with intermittent high-intensity efforts. IIRC, one of those health-and-fitness magazines had a study a while back that showed that long-distance backpackers typically had lower body-fat percentages than participants in higher-intensity long-distance aerobic activities.

Didn't Coach Wolf recently mention something about how some of his athletes seemed to perform at a higher level when their overall activity level was higher? (Farming?)

I agree with the y'all that walking probably isn't the whole script for all-around fitness. But it sounds like doing it often, alongside the occasional gut-busting, fight-for-your-life activity that CrossFit provides, might be an important key to giving those powerful old genes a chance to express themselves.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Walking is a long, steady-state endurance activity, and tends to reduce the percentage of type IIb muscle fibers per muscle cross section.

I get wherever I need to go by driving, sprinting, or bear-crawling.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Mark you are correct, of course Thoreau also lived in a cabin for 2 years with nothing else to do and was afforded the luxery of those walks (I would love time to walk for 4 hours in nature...very good for the mind and spirit). I think walking is a great type of movement and cruitial for a healthy body, although at my fitness level my body requires running and higher intensity for real gains in fitness level.

In an ideal world...walking would be our everyday lifestyle...to and from the store....over to friends houses....just to clear the mind and get focused on life.....and runnning would be intermittent to keep up higher fitness preparation (aka..be ready to run for your life).

Unfortnately in today's world, most people believe that they wont have the time to walk 2...4...8 hours a day. (people are over commited on activities that may not really matter all that much just to keep busy...cause sitting still is so much harder) Walking is now intermittent..lucky to get people to do it for 15-20 minutes, running almost never and sitting is a lifestyle. A good step for people would be to first clear their schedule of things that really may be useless busy work, and then find time for meaningful activities such as walking...although in todays quick fast paced world unless you do move to a farm it's probably too hard for most people to do...that and throw out the tv.