CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
William Winger

Profile:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0920192536.htm

Once again I am forced to post this, although this time it isn't the article/source that should be ridiculed, more the obviousness of the content.

'Wait, so you're telling me that I can't just walk 10,000 steps a day and get fit? Next you'll be telling me that CFit is the best way, and that's just too hard...'

Yeah, I am telling you CFit is the best. The locus of your choices lie on a 45 degree line on the axis of 'intensity' and 'effectiveness', anyone who promises more effectiveness for less intensity is selling something (and probably lying too).
Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Walking isn't exercise, walking is transportation.

Love that quote, can't remember where I heard it...
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
"....take 200 to 400 of them at a brisker pace."
I do agree with that, but when I take my daily 2 mile lunch time walk at work I do the entire distance very briskly for the intensity of the exercise and to get back in time from lunch.:proud:
I don't necessarily disagree with the article as far as what they are trying to say, but I do disagree with the attempt of trying to discount casual walking altogether. Some people can't walk fast. I respect those who walk regardless of their pace than those who don't walk at all. Now if you want to see someone who deserves a kick in the a$$, I saw a guy just two days ago riding a bike while smoking a cigarette.:yikes: & :wtf:
What's the point of even trying?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Walking is a 1st rate exercise for great-grandparents and people who have been recently hospitalized for an extended period. For the rest of us, it's a 5th rate form of exercise.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Peter,
Personally, I like the cell-phone-talking bike riders (not using a headset).
Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I personally walk whenever I can for several reasons.
I can get from here to there without dumping allot of in the air
It will help flush lactic acid out of my body
Tends to get the creaks out of my low back
it is a good low level fat draw (can't hurt)
walking around after game and looking for fruit and veg is major part of our design plan and keeps stuff moving the way it was designed to move. Over time the absence of walking can have a detrimental effect on the body.
Will it replace my wod NO WAY but it is a nice supplement.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
"Walking is a 1st rate exercise for great-grandparents and people who have been recently hospitalized for an extended period.
Wow, no love on this thread for walking.:lol:
OK, I guess I am one of the few supporters. But it still is a good basic cardio routine on the fly if you just don't have time for everything else in a day. I do consider it a low grade workout but it does have it's bennefits. Like I said, I walk with a very agressive pace to make it more worthwhile.

..cell-phone-talking bike riders.
Now that's one I have'nt seen yet. How the @#$% is he suppose to use the brakes properly and shift gears with one hand. People like that remind me of the saying that talks about hoping that certain people don't reproduce.:bangin:
Old 09-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Personally, I'm a fan of walking as well. I enjoy walking to work and back (6 miles total) pretty much every day, but CrossFit and O-Lifting are my primary forms of exercise...and I like it that way.

For me, walking far is preferable to being stuck on a crowded rush hour subway or bus, both for the body and mind.

Now, if I could only start incorporating a sandbag carry into my daily routine, that would be another story altogether!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hey Yoon, wear a backpack with some weights in it. It will look less conspicuous if the cops drive by.:happy:

Hey Lincoln here's an example, the native Americans use to have to walk/run everywhere before horses were introduced in this country.

To reemphasise a point made by Yoon, just because we can take a bus or a car does not mean we have to. African Americans boycotted the public transit system in the sixties and those who walked instead of car pooling with those who had cars got along just fine by walking. When my kids use to ask me to drive them down to the park which was only a block away I use to tell them to walk their lazy butts down there themselves. Then I would walk down with them to emphasize the point.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"back in my day...we walked uphill both ways...in 10' of snow...."