CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Clement Charles Florence

Profile:
Burpee Challenge

Some time ago I read about a burpee challenge on one of the affiliate sites. The idea was to do 1 burpee on day 1, 2 burpees on day 2 etc, up till day 100, a total 5090 burpees in 100 days. This is in addition to my normal WODs. I am currently at day 84 and am finding it quite a lesson in self discipline and mental tenacity. As I am 58 I have to baby myself somedays. One day I may do 15 at a time, and the next I might do 5 at a time,always being conscious of not getting an injury. Just wondering if anyone else has done something like this with burpees or even some other bodyweight exercise,and what is it likely to achieve or not achieve? Or is it just overkill?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Burpee Challenge

Ummm . . . once you get used to them (or anything), it's not such a big deal.

I routinely do 5 sets of 20 (100 total) as part of the warmup on any day that I work out (which is not every day). Was difficult 4 or 5 years ago, no big deal now.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Charity East

Profile:

My connection always hiccups on this board.
See post below

Last edited by Charity East : 11-06-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Charity East

Profile:

Good job on keeping up your affiliate schedule on top of this challenge. Somewhere in the 60's I ended up deciding to hit my affiliate one day a week and keep going on the burpee challenge. Once I hit the 90's (I'm on day 94 today! WOO HOO!), I decided my next visit to my affiliate would be to do my 100.

This challenge is definitely a test of your "self-discipline and mental tenacity" (I could not have worded it better for sure). I have no natural tendency to either of these things! So good on ya for sticking it out!

The upside to the burpee challenge? My CF Total went up by 25 points!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity East View Post
The upside to the burpee challenge? My CF Total went up by 25 points!
Interesting...In what lift(s)?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Charity East

Profile:

My previous CF total was:

Backsquat: 175
Shoulder press: 65
Deadlift: 225

Most recent CF Total
Backsquat: 170 (again, the whole trouble with burpees for me is in my knees)
Shoulder press: 80 (tried 90 and failed)
Deadlift: 240

I've also gone from doing assisted pushups to "big girl" pushups. The upper body strength has definitely increased. As soon as this challenge is done, I'm focusing in on getting my first "big girl" pullup before the end of the year.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i did the 30 day burpee to pull up challenge with +2 a day. so by day 30 it was 60 burpups. my advice would be to rotate the manner in which you perform the burpees daily. i found that by changing a few things the same movement can feel like a completely different workout.

for example one day i would try to crank them all out as fast as possible for time. then the next day i would move slow and focus on perfect form. i might break it up into sets of 5 or 10. then the next day i would do it tabata style. all out for a time period and then rest for half of that time period. etc...

my body responded really well to this and it kept the challenge from getting stale. good luck!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Jeremy Mathers

Profile:

we've been doing 100 burpees as a warmup at our affiliate this week.

So that means last night my 57 year old mother did 100 burpees, then 5 sets of heavy deadlifts and then 10 minutes of the thruster/pullup workout (cut short from 20 due to time)

your body will adapt
Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
i did the 30 day burpee to pull up challenge with +2 a day. so by day 30 it was 60 burpups. my advice would be to rotate the manner in which you perform the burpees daily. i found that by changing a few things the same movement can feel like a completely different workout.

for example one day i would try to crank them all out as fast as possible for time. then the next day i would move slow and focus on perfect form. i might break it up into sets of 5 or 10. then the next day i would do it tabata style. all out for a time period and then rest for half of that time period. etc...

my body responded really well to this and it kept the challenge from getting stale. good luck!
Today is day 95 for me, I have been doing the 8-count version, which just adds splitting the legs apart then together again after the pushup, as the basis type, and have played around with the burpee's many variants:
-burpups
-holding 2 35-lb DBs and do a squat clean/ thruster instead of a jump
-holding heavy DBs and trying to jump with them held low at sides
-combining them with running and rope climbs, etc. as workup to the Volkslauf mud run last October
-prison style
as well as messing with the set/ rep scheme, and I am amazed how versatile an exercise they can be, anything from a simple warmup to a serious metcon challenge as well as a mental challenge to keep doing them every day for 100 days. You really don't want to miss and have to make up a day when you get into the upper 80s.

Day 100 for me is next Tuesday, and I am going to try and get all 100 in a single set, however sloppy it gets. My only rule is I have to jump up and touch the ceiling at 12" above max reach with both hands. 12" doesn't sound like much of a jump, but after 99 days of burpees and multiple burpees, it will probably be the deal breaker.

Last edited by James R. Climer : 11-06-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typing errors