CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Paul Epstein

Profile:
Fish Oil Supplmentation vs Grass Fed Beef and Oily Fish

It seems everyone swears by fish oil supplementation to improve the ratios of Omegas in their diets but if you have a good diet is it really necasary?

I know i could do the maths, and i would if i wasnt so lazy, but i was wondering if someone already had and could save me the effort.

It seems that grass fed beef advocates claim the ratios of omegas are much closer to 1:1 as opposed to grain fed which are more like 20:1 in favour ot omega-6s.

I eat grass fed beef about 5 days a week, and grass fed venison and free range chicken and pork the other days. I also eat salmon steaks at least once a week and enjoy sardines and anchovies whenever i can sneak them into my meals without my girlfriend noticing....

Most of my non animal fats come from olive oil, macadamia (hawiian nut) oil and avacados....

Most fish oil advocates claim that you would need to eat way too much fish to get the required omega-3s to return to a more healthy ballance but perhaps this is based on the average persons bad diet?

My gut feel tells me im getting enough without fish oil supplementation...

My main reasons for wanting to avoid supplementation are..
1. I love eating and dont want to use up calories in capsules
2. It costs money which could be spent on better quality foods
3. Im wary of processed foods. Im a process engineer by trade and am inherantly distrustfull of industrialised food processing and quality control - ive met too many bad engineers.
4. Eating fish and meat provides protein, vitamins, minerals, joy and happiness that capsules do not.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Nick Hanson

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Supplmentation vs Grass Fed Beef and Oily Fish

You know I take fish oil daily (about 6 capsules) but I am not as stringent in my foods as you are. I think the only thing to do is to black box it. Take the pills for a month, and see how you feel if you feel better, keep taking them, if not drop them out. In regards to calories the ones I take are like 10 calories, so 60 extra a day.

Otherwise, if you already feel great, than don't worry about it. It sounds like you are doing pretty good without them.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
David Melrose

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Supplmentation vs Grass Fed Beef and Oily Fish

In the omega zone by sears he outlines some specific blood tests you can take to determine how much you need.

you may want to check it out then you dont have to guess.