CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #141
Blair Book

Profile:
Re: Why do you train?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

In all seriousness, CF makes me feel better about myself, and lets me do my job alot better. Feeling good translates to all facets of life. I feel I am a better person because of it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #142
Randy Kite

Profile:

I owe it to my wife and sons to be physically able to protect them and myself from anything that may come.

Because I owe it to the troops I train to be able to do anything I ask them to do and more.

I do it because when the fight comes I will be the one that walks away leaving the defeated on the ground.

I do it so I can conquer that little voice that says, "I can't do that".

I do it because it makes me feel like the Warrior I've always wanted to be.

Yea, this kool aid is good stuff.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #143
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

I train:
-because I was the weak kid who got beat up at school.
-to strengthen my mind and fight off depression.
-to earn myself some pride.
-so that the next time I get mugged, it'll be them lying on the floor and me walking away.
-because it's kind of like childbirth (i imagine) in that when you're halfway through you question your sanity, but afterwards you really want another.

-and yes, I want the bedroom mirror to say 'damn, your *** is smokin'!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #144
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

To go home alive at the end of my shift to my wife and 3 kids.

I look at it this way. How can I protect those I'm sworn to protect if I'm not fit enough to protect myself.

And it feels great to be fit.

Oh and I guess it looks ok too
Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #145
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I want to be better at everything.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #146
David Vessey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gibbs View Post
I know its a cliche but for me - healthy body=healthy mind. As someone who is prone to depression and has a stressful job as well as family with 3 teenage girls I know the value of exercise goes well beyond the physical.
The egotist in me also likes being in better shape and fitter than 98% of people my age and most people half my age.
... And of course I am vain and anyone who says they are not is kidding themselves.
I've always thought along the same lines and hence the quote in my sig: mens sana in corpore sano - roughly, healthy mind in a healthy body.

I enjoy the challenge and variety of crossfit, mainly the variety. I got so bored trying to stick to the 3 day weight/2 day cardio 'system'. And I'm a 22 year old single male, so the physical results are appreciated
Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #147
Alex Byron

Profile:

Many reasons:

By being physically as healthy as possible now at my current age of 38 and following a daily routine of healthy eating and exercising I hope to maintain a high quality of life as I age.

CrossFit workouts make me feel great both short-term from the Endorphin rush getting me in a happy-happy-joy-joy mood for the day, as well as long-term as it relieves depression, makes me feel good about myself, and gives me another thing to be passionate about in life.

Being fit allows me to perform any daily task to my full potential without worries about failure or injury.

In a year and half of CrossFit, I have yet to injure myself. Instead, I have learned how to use my body properly and protect it against injury, while greatly increasing its ability. Something I never had in the past, where I quickly plateaued, regularly tweaked or pulled something from trying too hard or incorrectly, etc.

Facing a challenge every morning in form of the WoD is great mental exercise as well and helps me improve my attitude and mindset.

In general, CF is an awesome approach to fitness. I come from a background of smoking, drinking, no exercise, desk job, sedentary home life, weak, skinny, etc. After spending a decade dabbling in weight lifting, Martial Arts, running and making general improvements to my lifestyle I found CF and realized "This is it! Everything else I've done so far pales in comparison." Now I am healthier and stronger than ever. In hindsight, I can't believe how far I've come, and now I wonder what else I can accomplish if I keep this up.

And yes, the nice physique and appearance that comes with it is a great bonus, too. A buddy just told me "Man, you look like an extra from the movie '300'!" Can't argue with that
Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #148
Feng Yi Chew

Profile:

This is a great thread and I found it interesting to read others' perspectives on training and CrossFit. If anything, we're all bound together by the spirit of continual self-improvement.

Coincidentally, some time ago, I thought about why I had chosen to subscribe to the CrossFit methodology, and typed an article on my blog. My thoughts can be found here:

Why We Do CrossFit
(WFS)

It was inspired in part by a photo I saw on the CF affiliate blog, as well as a guy who came up to me and my fellow training partners in the middle of a Painstorm workout we were doing in my college gym, and asked what we were training for.

Simply put, this excerpt from my entry says it all...

"The reason why I do CrossFit is to be prepared for whatever life has in store for me. That might sound too profound for something like fitness, which most people are apt to construe as an accompaniment to, not a core constituent of, their daily lives. But the CrossFit pedagogy goes above and beyond the daily WOD posted on the main page of the site, something I think most people who are new to the concept have yet to grasp. CrossFit is far more than the sum of its parts - it's a lifestyle that revolves around working towards and then maintaining your body in a superior state - ready for all of life's curveballs."

I hope everyone's training goes well!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #149
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Nice Feng;
Hope all is well, enjoy your summer.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #150
Adrian Frankling

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Why do you train?

because it is fun. crossfit is now my sport and all the recruits actually look at me as the slightly crazy instructor. i have also motivated others and created my own little guerilla fitness insurgency