CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Stephen Thomas

Profile:
Not resting as required?

Hello hello,

What is everyone's take on not resting as prescribed for the WODs? For example... if Mr. Z's body is telling him that he doesnt need to rest today, even if incorporating the WODs into his fitness time, should he rest anyway?

Discuss.

My personal philosophy is that your body is the best judge of these sorts of things. If day 3 comes without a hitch, why not go do some PT?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Not resting as required?

Because you may not feel the same on days 4, 5, and 6.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

It's my personal experience that intuitive training only works for those who have trained have trained enough that they know their body well. Generally these people have advanced to elite levels of strength. So in effect I would say no.

Plus, more is not always better.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Incorporate more rest. Be smart. I wasn't and got injured. It sucked. End of story.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
My personal philosophy is that your body is the best judge of these sorts of things.
I agree completely, Stephen. And, yes, obviously deciding your own workout/rest cycle will work only as well as you know your own body, but I don't think that requires elite level athleticism. It does require being objective, not getting over-enthused, and paying close attention to the feedback you're getting from your body.

I would advise anyone new to CF to be conservative and take plenty of rest days, but once you get a handle on all of this, I would say you not only can decide your own schedule, but should do so. It may turn out that the Rx'd routine works best for you, but I think it's silly to say that every Crossfitter out there needs one rest day every fourth day, and I've seen plenty of posts on this board that indicate that there's a wide variety of schedules within this community. My own schedule is all over the map, somewhat due to work and travel requirements, but mostly because I take rest when I need it. Period. Not when either a website or the calendar tells me to.

And again, having said all that, it's easy to go over the top when you first start CF, so erring on the conservative side is a very wise beginner strategy.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Justin Algera

Profile:

My question would be, why would you not rest? What do you gain from training 5-6-7, whatever days in a row without rest? Just because your body feels good, a rest may make you feel better, and prepare you to be better the next time. I don't know how many times I thought I felt pretty good, and as soon as the workout starts, I think, "yep, should have taken the rest day."
Old 05-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

This discussion comes up from time to time and the answer is always that rest needs to be programmed in.

Wasn't there a video a while back where Eva T. was saying something that a training program is only as effective as the recovery program that goes with it? If you feel like doing more, don't just go harder.

Whether it's 5/2, 3/1 etc. rest is necessary and essential to continued progress.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

this is a great thread. i was just thinking about how ive been doing crossfit for a little over a month while not missing a single workout. and while im seeing results and am actually much stronger im getting tired. so i was thinking maybe i should take the whole next cycle off giving me five days with no workout. is this wise or should i just take two or what? i dont like taking days off but feeling tired i know isnt right. i guess i just dont know how many to take off.
any ideas for me?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
this is a great thread. i was just thinking about how ive been doing crossfit for a little over a month while not missing a single workout. and while im seeing results and am actually much stronger im getting tired. so i was thinking maybe i should take the whole next cycle off giving me five days with no workout. is this wise or should i just take two or what? i dont like taking days off but feeling tired i know isnt right. i guess i just dont know how many to take off.
any ideas for me?
If you feel tired 2-3 days.
If you feel sore with some decreasing performance 4-5 days.
If you feel depressed, sore, tired, decreasing performance, hard to eat, dehydrated, etc. 6-7 days should be fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you feel tired 2-3 days.
If you feel sore with some decreasing performance 4-5 days.
If you feel depressed, sore, tired, decreasing performance, hard to eat, dehydrated, etc. 6-7 days should be fine.
excellent. thank you