CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Is the pulse a reliable indicator of fitness? Is it worth tracking?

Does anyone here record their pulse?

I'd be curious to see what the average heart rate is for dedicated crossfitters.

My current pulse is ~61 but then again I haven't been training much as I've been on vacation. At it's lowest I was on a calorie-restriction type diet and was doing a ton of cardio (it was 48-53 BPM at the time).
Old 08-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Jim Butts

Profile:
I'm 225-230 lbs., 48 yo, probably 30 lbs overweight, on a see-food diet with my main dietary supplementation being pale ale, especially this summer. My resting pulse is about 46. I've concluded from the above information (admittedly anecdotal) that resting pulse is if not completely irrelevent, at least a very strange indicator of fitness...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
alex st jean

Profile:

After reading this post i decided to check my resting pulse, its been about 2 and half hours since my WOD and my pulse is at 78 bpm, is there something wrong with me? im 17 150lbs but compared to you guys my pulse is gigantic.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
David Knutzen

Profile:
Just came back from the WOD myself about 20 minutes ago, and my pulse is currently 87. As a SWAG, I'd venture that my normal resting rate is about 60-70. I wouldn't worry about it too much, really.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
De Vaney talked about pulse not too long ago.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/archives...ex.html#000148

Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
The accurate resting pulse rate should be taken, upon waking in the morning.(before getting out of bed). Have a clock with a sweep hand within sight. Wake up, before movement, look at the clock and take your pulse rate at the radial or corotid artery. That is your resting heart rate. To monitor the RHR for training purposes, check your RHR every morning and write it down. Daily increase of 10% or more will usually indicate overtraining. An increase in RHR during training periods may result in a decrease in 'motivation to exercise'.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Alex, it's still quite early after a WOD for your heart rate to return totally to normal. At least mine never drops down that quickly, but my resting is 55ish. Listen to Skip and do it in the morning.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I think Skip hit that one out of the park. In addition to overtraining (under recovery) it might also mean your body is fighting off something, or you're about to get sick. You need to be anal and check it every day to see patterns.

I've personally never bothered, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Nick Wilson

Profile:  
Taking your resting pulse rate regularly can show an improvement to fitness (e.g. your RHR is 70, 3 months later it has dropped to 60). And as Skip and William rightly point out, it can help you track when you're under recovered or coming down with an illness (though you could do that by just listening to your body and taking it a bit easier if you feel run down).

HR is only one of many fitness indicators, and I personally don't think it's the best or most useful. But at the same time, it costs nothing to track it so if you feel like it, go ahead.

Actually comparing HR with other people is pointless as peoples heart rates differ widely (e.g. my RHR is lower than some professional athletes, yet higher than a guy at work who hasn't exercised in 10 years). In general you'd expect the average CF heart rate to be lower than the average sedentary person, but on a case by case basis comparisons are meaningless
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Larry Cook

Profile:
In addition, I think it would be interesting to see how quickly your heart rate recovers after exercise. Not necessarily how long it takes to get back to RHR but how much it drops in, say, 60 seconds after stopping.