CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Amanda Caines

Profile:
Excessive urination?

Hi, everyone,

I'm pretty new to the boards. Been crossfitting for a few months, on the zone two weeks. I have an odd issue that I can't find an answer to in a search of the boards.

I usually work out from 6-7 in the evening, and because I commute, have dinner when I arrive home around 8.

My problem is that, well, I'm having to urinate a heck of lot post-workout lately. Especially after more intense workouts, and a ridiculous amount if I drink any water at all between working out and bed. Last night, I was really thirsty and had 3/4 of a small bottle of water on the way home. I probably went to the bathroom 4 times before bed, and woke up at least four times during the night! I love my sleep - I'm tired today.

I do drink plenty of water during the day at work. I don't keep track, but I don't think it's an excessive amount. Only caffeine is a cup or two of green tea in the morning. I have experienced over-hydration before, but don't have any of those symptoms. I'm 5'5, 132-136#s, not sure currently on bodyfat, but think around 21-22%. No medical issues other than some exercise-induced asthma controlled by an inhaler pre-workout. Trying to lose more bodyfat and get stronger overall to tackle some mountaineering.

Any ideas, anyone? I need some sleep!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Cory Davis

Profile:
Re: Excessive urination?

Hey there. This is my first post actually. I just wanted to throw an idea out there. Do you find yourself thirsty and drinking alot of water throughout the day? So in turn you would obviously be urinating alot. If so, is there a history of Diabetes in your family ? I'm not trying to freak you out, but I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, and that was one of my symptoms I had when I was diagnosed.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Amanda Caines

Profile:

Hi, Cory,

Ah, you didn't freak me out at all.

No family history of diabetes. No thirst problems, and I don't think I'm drinking too much water during the day. I've made that mistake before, and it won't happen again. During the day, I don't have a problem. The strange thing is, it's only at night, and only on nights I work out. The more intense the workout, the more frequently I'm running to the bathroom. And drinking any water post-workout, even small amounts, makes it that much worse. I thought about diabetes, but no family history and it doesn't happen every day.

Maybe it's just some odd quirk and I'll just have to not drink water on nights I work out, but that just doesn't make sense to me...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

It may be worth getting a blood test to rule out diabetes. You probably don't have it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

It sounds more as if you're taking on a lot more water than normal during the workout (are you a mouth breather? That can dry your mouth out and make you feel parched). You may also be eating more fruit or veg with a high water content or diuretic effect which can add to the load.

Another thing is women have a lot more organs occuping the pelvic space than men - things like uterine fibroids or even a full bowel can cause additional pressure on the bladder.

Just a few thoughts anyway.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Agreed, when My fiance became type 1, she had several weeks straight of excessive urination and no other symptoms. It's not likely, but if it is diabetes you definately want to know early.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Amanda Caines

Profile:

If it was possibly diabetes, could it present itself at such specific times rather than all the time?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Darren Zega

Profile:  

If that's the only time your hormones are out of whack, yes, it could.

But I'm not an endocrinologist and don't know that much about it. But like we said, while unlikely, there's no reason not to check.

I should also add that by diabetes, we don't just mean "sugar" diabetes (diabetes mellitus). There is a second class of diabetes called diabetes insipudis, or "water" diabetes that had 4 subtypes. Common to all, however, is excessive urination.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 01-18-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I think it would be worth looking into. I have a Woolies bladder of the worst kind and I don't get up that much at night! Nights that I have got up endlessly I'm usually dropping fluid for some reason. Often stress.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Amanda Caines

Profile:

I'd never heard of DI. Guess it's time for a visit to the doctor just to be sure - thanks everyone.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I'm adding this out of left field. Are you fully emptying your bladder each time? How is your low back? Sometimes a low back issue can affect the bladder. Good luck on this.