CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Anthony Militello

Profile:
One Legged squat?

I'd really like to know what the benefits of being able to do a one legged squat offer in ways of athletic performance and how I could go about developing the one legged squat? I've read that holding a KB actually makes it easier because of the counter-balance? Any tips for developing akiles flexability?
Old 12-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Re: One Legged squat?

Not sure what the orthodox answer is, but I can tell you that I have been doing a lot of work on a ladder lately, and I do what amount to partial range pistols all day long. I have come to believe that the principle benefits of the one legged squat--aka pistol--in addition to balance, and the use and control of body tension, is that it develops in a helpful way a full range eccentric squat, of the sort that is actually used in functional movement.

One example, I had to climb up on a painting platform, then down. Since there was a good 3' gap between the upper plank and the lower plank, getting down in effect required a pistol. That is a very different movement than a bodyweight squat.

I have come to believe that minimizing DOMS through minimizing how dynamic your eccentric contraction is, helps further athletic recovery. However, the eccentric is still important, and I can't think of a better means of developing it than the highly controlled movement of the pistol.

That may not answer your whole question, but as far as technique, just do a search. There's likely a video on the video page, and there is likely a lot of discussion at Dragon Door too, since that is one of the main movements those folks do. I have personally found a kettlebell or dumbell helpful in maintaining balance, but I think purists want you to do it without the weight. I think it is harder, but that's what you aim for. Then you add massive weight that goes way past what's needed for balance. I think the top guys are doing them with something like 110 lb.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Anthony Militello

Profile:

amazing. it really seems like somthing that would help as a fighter...thats what is really getting me intrested. thanks for the responce bud!:stir:
Old 12-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Greg Privitera

Profile:

single leg squats will also develop a couple muscles moreso than 2 leg squats. Glute medius and VMO especially. These muscles are important for knee health, and the VMO definitely helps with jumping ability.

(to be fair, VMO is also heavily involved in the bottom portion of a 2-leg squat).

A common argument for single leg movements is that most of the time you are usually in a split stance (more weight on one leg at a time) during many sporting movements.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Anthony Militello

Profile:

awsome. i did a little work today. i can get to the bottom position on my left leg(but im righty...weird) and not my right...but i cant get back up lol.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I actually think there should be more unilateral work than we probably do now just because most sports or activities require planting and moving off of one foot rather than two. So yes, pistols are definitely useful in this respect as well stuff like lunges, single leg DLs, etc.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

I pistol almost everytime I get up with nothing around to brace myself on, simply because I know it won't tweak with my knee at all, and it looks cool.

Athletically, balance is likely the biggest carryover.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

THE text on pistols;

http://www.dragondoor.com/b28.html?k...31&img=b28.jpg

work & family safe
Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Gina Johnson

Profile:

I do pistols just about every night on my left side only. The right can belt out 10 w/ ease but the left really stuggles to get 10. It's just a great exercise to catch the left up to the right. I'll do 100 air squats at 25 rep increments, then do the pistols. I find it's hard to jump right in doing pistols w/out having the quads nicely warmed up.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Basic tutorial on pistols. Good site in general for bodyweight movements.

http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm (WFS)