CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
Ross Burke

Profile:
I think I may have come up with the workout from hell, after pondering the fight gone bad concept. The workout is comprised of four rounds with 5 one-minute subdivisions each.
Round one with a 135 lb. bar where applicable
1. 50 yard shuttle run
2. snatch grip deadlifts for a minute
3. pushups for a minute
4. front squats
5. shuttle run
Round two with a 115 lb. bar where applicable, this will be done as soon as the weights can be switched from 135 lbs. to 115. If such a 115 lb. barbell is immediately available, rest a minute between rounds.
1. full squat clean and split jerk
2. shuttle run
3. parallel bar dips
4. squat cleans
5. shuttle run
Round three with a 95 lb. bar where applicable, again, this round begins as soon as the weights can be changed.
1. thrusters
2. pullups
3. overhead squats
4. shuttle run
5. power snatches
Round 4 with a 55lb. dumbell where applicable, done one minute after the completion of round 3:
1. two arm dumbell swings
2. pullups
3. left arm snatches
4. situps
5. right arm snatches
I'm going to give this a try tomorrow assuming my sore muscles have had sufficient time to recover. Anyone who wants to make a mockery of my performance is more than welcome to attempt the workout as well. Scoring will be number of reps of worst exercise + 1/10 number of reps of best exercise. For example, 6 overhead squats + 1/10 of 67 situps = 12.67. The 50 yard shuttle run means running as many times as possible in one minute between two points 50 yards away from each other. One repettition of the shuttle run would be running from one side to the other. Any questions?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Ross, I have one question: What sort of bad acid were you on when you came up with this?
:happy:
Dave
Old 09-13-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I feel like puking just reading this :wink:

Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I've been thinking there needs to be an "Around The World" workout. Do either 9, 15, or 21 (of course) reps of every exercise that shows up in the WOD on any sort of regular basis. Throw in some 400M sprints. Maybe just 3 reps of each exercise, if we get enough of them in there.

So we should make up the list, and then argue about the ordering of them. Maybe do it on New Year's Eve each year, as a celebration of the WOD.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Ross Burke

Profile:
I made the very intelligent decision of putting an english paper off until 4:30 in the morning the day it was due, and consecuently I probably will be regretting that decision doing the above workout three hours from now. I like Mike's idea a lot, and I decided to develop it a little further, possibly at the expense of not staying true to his concept. I paired most of the exercises I have every seen on this site together to be done in the 21-15-9 fashion, i.e. for the first pair you will do 21 front squats, then 21 dips, then 15 squat, 15 dips, 9 squats, 9 dips, and then move on to the next pair.
The around the world workout:
Pair 1: front squats and dips
pair 2: clean and jerks and pullups
pair 3: deadlifts and handstand pushups
pair 4: overhead squats and box jumps(ouch!)
pair 5: dumbell swings and knees to elbows
pair 6: one arm snatches and pushups(maybe make these clap pushups to make the low rep totals more challenging.
pair 7: thrusters and situps
pair 8: this one's a little different, 21-15-9 of sumo deadlift high pulls alternated with 400m sprints
pair 9: 21-15-9 of push presses or jerks alternated with 500m rows.
Training volume is kind of like sleep deprivation. I can handle a hell of a lot for one day, but when I try to do it on a regular basis, it just doesn't work out. Thus while this workout looks ridiculous, in that it will take as much as three hours to do, for one day I think most of the people here would be able to stand that. I think that if it was used kind of as a out-with-a-bang workout prior to a vacation or a deloading or active rest week, it would work pretty well. Sometimes its good to see just how much work you can do one day and forget about being able to workout hard afterwards for a few days.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Ross,

Try front squats to horizontal hops with a barbell+weights totaling 1/3 bodyweight for distance (e.g., two basketball court-lengths). Do max rounds in twenty minutes alternated with a light posterior chain pull, break hop sets as needed to complete.
I did this Friday afternoon and I still cannot walk or get up from a chair without quad pain. The aerobic impact was proportional. This is THE workout I'm going to use whenever I persuade myself that I'm in shape.

Ross
Old 09-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Ross (Hunt):

What is a "light posterior chain pull"? (SLDL with the weight = 1/3 bw?)

(Oh, by the way, you people are really twisted . . . I like that!)

Dave
Old 09-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Ross Burke

Profile:
After reading my first post over, I realize I actually gave a wrong example of how the scoring would work. 6 overhead squats + 67 situps would be 12.7, not 12.67. Anyways I tried this today and it literally floored me by the end of it. Several people watched at me the whole time with helpful comments like "you run like a duck" and "that was only 49 pushups, why didn't you do 50" and after watching my swings "that looks very masochistic and very bad for the lower back." My weakest exercise was Power Snatches with only 5 reps, so that combined with 1/10 of 49 pushups comes out to a score of 9.9. As soon as I got home after my workout I slept for two hours, and it was only 4:30 when I got home. I worked really hard but I feel that I could get my score up to the 12 or 13 range before wrestling season starts in november. Come on, no one wants to try this?