CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Crossfitting for new moms

I've been checking out this website for a while now, so it's time I introduced myself. . .

I'm a personal trainer (ACSM HFI), formerly of a big box gym, but now I am a full-time stay-at-home mom. I had a troubled pregnancy that resulted in my baby girl being born 10 weeks early and blood pressure problems for me. (As you can see from my avatar, our precious principessa is doing fine now.) It's time that I get serious about returning to my previous fitness level, or hopefully better.
When I was first released to start exercising again I had to take things really slow. I attend Stroller Strides classes 4 x week both for the exercise and for the socialization that me and my daughter get. I've attended a few Crossfit workouts at Crossfit Texas, but I haven't been able to start doing the WODs yet. No equipment and a high maintenance baby have made things difficult. An ideal situation would be combining Crossfit and Stroller Strides, so that my baby could come with me on my workouts. I'm wracking my brain to figure out how to do that. It's hard to really push yourself when you have to attend to a baby during the workout. If there are any other Crossfitters out there that are new moms, I'd be glad to hear how you worked things out. I'm asking my husband for a set of Elite rings for Christmas. I really hope that I get them

Thanks for reading my long intro. Good luck to everyone else out there.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Johan Blixt Dackhammar

Profile:
Re: Crossfitting for new moms

One of these and a pull-up bar or rings will make quite some workout while keeping her close.

Naah, but welcome! And I'm sure you'll get things to work out. You know babies small always like watching new interesting things - and what's more interesting than their mom working out? And while you're waiting for those rings (I'm sure he'll get them for you) just use your imagination. You can do amazing things with most things you find. I used to suck quite much at that, but it's amazing what's out there. Run with the Stroller Stride and as soon as you see a rock go do some cleans or something with it and keep going. A tree - some pull-ups.

Don't know if that was much of help, but I used to find myself too focused on following WODs that I forgot what CrossFit is all about.

WELCOME, AND GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Johan Blixt Dackhammar : 11-28-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Didn't look good with a large image...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I'm sorry I can't help you with specific exercise advice, but I did want to say congratulations on your new mamahood and beautiful baby girl!

One word of general advice: if you are nursing, make SURE to drink lots of fluids and start exercising hydrated. Eat enough to support your milk supply and energy needs. Nursing an infant exclusively costs about 500 extra calories a day, mostly protein and fat. So eat well!

And

Susie
Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Johan, remember to designate w/fs for all links. Mods don't like it when you don't.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Yvette Coddington

Profile:

Eva,

Welcome to crossfit and motherhood. It's a whole new world!!

Having two kids of my own, I can offer a little advice. I don't know how helpful it's going to be...

1. Be flexible and work out when you can. My husband is AF and gone most of the time, so I remember doing a lot of running pushing a baby around. Not the greatest, but better than nothing. When he was home, I would totally ditch the bambinos with him and workout then.

2. I had a couple of friends who organized a workout club. We all lived on base at the time so were close to each other and a gym. We had a schedule where everyone got an hour to workout and had to watch kids for about an hour. We did it rotation style. You only had to be alone with the kids for 30 minutes, otherwise you had some company. It worked really well. We met about 8am and we were done by 10am. I want to say all of our kids were between 6 mos and 1 year.

3. On the positive side, most Crossfit workouts only take 20 minutes. You can sub/scale quite a bit. Have you checked out the Brand X site? Hopefully, your baby naps at least once a day and you could do a little something.

4. Give yourself a break! You seem motivated, so I'm sure you can work it out!

Best of luck and I look forward to your posts on the main page!

Yvette
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
Don King

Profile:

Eva,

Welcome to Crossfit. I obviously can't comment on the whole Crossfit/motherhood thing, but I am also the parent of a preemie. I'm guessing from your post you had Preeclampsia during your pregnancy? This is what my wife had(she was extremely sick), she was in the hospital for a week after giving birth and made a full recovery. My son was born at 25 1/2 weeks, weighed 1lb 9oz and was in the hospital for three months after being born. Long story short, I'm happy to report he is a healthy seven-year-old with no signs of being a preemie. I'm sure your daughter will do fine as well. Again, welcome to Crossfit and good luck.

Don
Old 11-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement. I'm being very careful with my intensity as I get back into fitness. I want to be safe for my baby as well as myself. I found Eva T.'s bodyweight workouts to do until I get some equipment. I'll have to do some serious scaling though. Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in back (Pregnancy, bed rest, and early motherhood can cause a lot of muscle imbalances) so I won't be able to start those workouts right away. I'll keep going to Stroller Strides though. My goal, once I get back in shape and get some money together, is to get a Crossfit cert and start a stroller Crossfit class for moms. I know a few moms here that say that childcare is their main barrier to starting Crossfit, so I'd like to help them out.
Thanks again to everybody.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Laurie Bowler

Profile:

Hi Eva, and welcome!
As an affiliate owner with 2 kids (one completely carried, practically born, and definetly raised in a CF gym) I know it can be a challenge. For the last 2.5 years I've taught with a kid in one arm 75% of the time and worked out with them. We also have quite a few new moms at our place. Talk with your affiliate - kids are welcome at ours and I'll gladly carry around someone else's baby for 15 minutes if it means they get to work out. We believe kids shouldn't be any sort of barrier, and we do everything we can to make sure they're not. Parents bring exersaucers, blankets, toys, caretakers, all sorts of thing into our gym.

We also have a ton of women willing to entertain the kids for a few minutes, its likely that if you talk with CF Texas they can tell you a time where they may be able to help you or a time when there are lots of people there willing to help with a *cutie* baby (she is darling). Its actually really cool to see our guys play with our 2 year old, he loves the attention and they turn into big, goofy kids.

You may also find another CF friend who is willing to help and go together. I love Yvettes idea of a co-op. Kids seem to be one of best reasons to skip exercise and it takes dedication and creativity to make it work, but it can. Do check Brand X's site http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/ (W/Fsafe) for scaling ideas and get going! With a gradual "long slow onramp" to intensity.

Laurie
Rainier CF
Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Robin Maier

Profile:

I run "CrossFit Mamas" classes 3 mornings of the week where moms come in groups of four. Two workout while two watch the kids in a play area and then they switch. Since most of our workouts are around 20 minutes long, they are all done in one hour. Our CF Mamas love it that they can bring their kids along and love to get out and visit with other moms. We have even been on the local evening news!

I have a 15 month old baby girl who plays with the other kids while I coach and my husband helps out with it all when he can (he's a firefighter and so works shift work). I started doing CrossFit 4 months after having my baby and one of my reasons for starting my own affiliate (July 1/07) was to help other new moms get back in shape. And CrossFit is the best way to do it!

Maybe another new mom will go along to CrossFit Texas with you and you can alternate working out/watching kids. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Robin Maier
CrossFit Regina
www.crossfitregina.com
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Since I'm not working right now, we can't afford to join any Crossfit affiliate. I've been going to the free workouts that CrossFit Texas holds once a week. Since I was up front with them about not being able to be a paying member and one of the owners is a former co-worker, they don't seem to mind that I'm only there for the freebies. I'll have to do the workouts at home for now. I'm glad to hear that childcare issues are being addressed by some affiliates. Moms want to be buff too!