CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm going on vacation in approximately two weeks! We're driving to FL then after a week going to New Orleans for three days. Usually every three weeks I back off the WOD and preform a half volume week: ie. I continue to do the WOD but cut the volume in half. Haven't done this in 5 weeks, anticipating the vacation. I am on the 3 days work one day off cycle and on the days off I walk about three miles. I have not taken a full day off in 137 workouts. Well I'm taking about two weeks completely off. Eating what I want and laying on the beach catching up on my reading. Personally I think it's good to schedule at least a couple of weeks off a year (not necessarly in a row). Now, I'm going into this time off hard. . .I'm going to supercompensate. I'm pushing the WOD 110%, doing extra workouts and being super strict on the diet. Opinions??? Will I slide less by supercompensating?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Larry, I think this is all good. I wonder if it is necessary to go so hard, sounds like you have been training long and hard enough to use a break. One thing I have learned is don't go on vacation with any soreness or fatigue in my low back, neck, or hamstrings. Things I normally wouldn't notice get really aggrevated when I sit for hours driving or flying, which is no fun on vacation.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
David Werner

Profile:
Larry
Enjoy the vacation. You don't need to burn it extra hard before hand, but it's fine if you want to do that.

You will be stronger and faster when you get back, your first workouts back are going to be some of your best ever (unless you've gotten sick or injured), it's a promise. It has happened to me many times in the military, train hard for a while until operational requirements get in the way, come back after two, three even four weeks and have the best workouts ever. It's true that my military job was not exactly sedentary so while on vacation - play. Hike, Bike, Swim whatever, no workouts mind you, just play. It is a great change-up.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 07-05-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:
Larry,
In a 1 to 2 week time frame, you shouldn't slide at all. Brian and Dave are both exactly correct here, IMHO. I would suggest re-doing one of the "girls" we did recently or some other benchmark of your own when you get back. Guarantees are hard to issue, but I'm confident you'll put up some impressive number after a week or so off.

In my experience, both the physical and mental rest create a nice rebound opportunity ... kind of like the "pent up demand" that follows an economic slowdown. The ability was always there, but the desire becomes even stronger.

Have fun and enjoy FLA and the Big Easy!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Thanks guys. I know you all know that guilty feeling of laying off. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
David Heyer

Profile:
Larry,
I just got back from vacation. Ate like crap and didn't workout at all. I was feeling guilty for a while but I told myself to relax and enjoy the time off. Yesterday I did one of last weeks WOD. I felt great and ready to go. I am a little sore today, but I think the break helped me recover and gave me more focus.

Enjoy your vacation.

Dave
Old 07-06-2004, 06:48 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Larry,

This gets indirectly at something I've been thinking about, which is a sort of biochemical dependance on exercise. If I go a week without working out, I get depressed. It's like there's something in me that needs that biochemical kick.

I don't know if it's endorphins, or a psychological need to push myself, or what it is, but I know that I need workouts to feel right, and if CrossFit were a drug, it would probably be Crack.

I think you probably know that you can't get that out of shape in two weeks, but you also probably sense that you will miss the workouts.

For me, I can't decide if this is a good thing or not. I don't want to be dependant on anything, but at the same time, exercise is no doubt good for you.

Couple ideas: dance for 3-4 hours every night, if you dance. And I mean 3-4 hours, sweat pouring down, shirt drenched. Chase your wife around. Swim out to the buoy on the beach and back a few times. Do Tabata pushups. Run a mile knee deep in the water.

If you're like me, you're going to have to do something, but you will also be able to do a lot of laying around as well. If you get a good book, that will help a lot.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry-

Can you explain this...this "VACATION" thing to me?
Robb
Old 07-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Barry: If I dance, people will be dying of laughter around me and my kids will disown me. The only thing worse would be if I sung. Both scenerios are highly unlikely. I know what you mean by addiction. This site is the first thing I do in the morning and I check back a couple times a day. So I'm not only addicted to the actual workouts but to the community. I rarely take a full day off, usually working on martial art technique or playing around with gymnastics so this will be intresting. I'm sure I'll at least walk down the beach. . .to a bar or somthing.

Robb: A vacation is where you go someplace diffrent and have your kids bug you about souverners. Spend a lot of money for an uncomfortable bed and eat out three times (or more) a day. I know what you mean, this is my once a year pilgrimage to sun and fun.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
We have LOADS of sun in Chico so come visit anytime