CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #51
Timothy Walsh

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Queen View Post
Remember Alex, just ease into it. I have been doing POSE style running now for about 3 weeks as well as doing the pre-training/pre-conditioning exercises for it. I have to tell you, that after 20 years of running (some of it including marathons) my legs, feet, knees and back do not feel half as bad during the post cool down sessions. I actually feel like I did not run at all..comparatively speaking. It's because the entire range of muscles are being recruited properly into the running ROM and the energy distribution is being use more efficiently which causes a lot less stress on any particular muscle group.
Start out by reading this (w/f safe article): http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html
That's how I got started and it really helps in braking down the mechanics of propper body alignment and muscle conditioning.

As far as the Nike 5.0 and 3.0, each is designed for you to migrate into as you continue to condition and strengthen your POSE runnning style over time. 7.0s are for beginners, 5.0s are mid range and 3.0s are for those who have reached an even higher level of conditioning. 3.0s are pretty much next to running barefooted.
I have read over that article a couple of times and practiced some of the movements. I guess i might be missing something, but it just seems like running on the balls of the feet. With the use of hamstrings instead of calves for work.

Or i might also have a hard time grasping something w/o an actual teacher.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #52
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I just got my pair of H-streets today. They feel like nothing! and I thought my Puma speedcats were a low-profile shoe. I will probably only wear them running because they are so minimalist, I will try to keep them alive. That's unfortunate, because they look bada$$.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #53
Norm Hoogerdyk

Profile:

Puma Numostro's ,very comfortable light weight and flat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puma Numostro.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	749  
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #54
George Mounce

Profile:

I will say I finally found an exercise not fit for VFF - long rows. I ripped the heel off my foot (not the shoe mind you) during I think the 1000m portion of today's WOD due to how it sits in the Concept2 foot thingy.

Ouch...
Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #55
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

I got my VFFs in a little while ago. The 45s I ordered are the perfect length for my toes (long toes run in the family) but the heel doesnt even come close to a proper fit. The 43s my dad ordered feel pretty good and I was wearing them around a bit but the fabric inbetween the toes doesnt go all the way down the the crotch of my toe (like it does on the 45s) and I am not sure it would be that big of a deal as they seemed to maintain a good ammount of flexability.

We were going to go do some rock climbing in them but the wall was closed so we didnt get a chance.

Also I left the 43s with my dad and am going to be returning the 45s for a pair of 43s
Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #56
Aaron Winter

Profile:

I'm going to have to bump this thread...

It's the only active discussion I've managed to find on this subject, so I'd like to keep it alive.

My deal is this: I started running forefoot a while ago and it has helped tremendously. It's not Pose running; I just let efficiency dictate my form.

I've also seen the light when it comes to shoe selection. I'm putting myself through an interval training phase right now (sprints) and want the right shoe for it.

Since I'm doing my running on asphalt, spikes are out, but I'm wondering if H-streets, Sambas, etc. would be appropriate shoes for the exercise. I seriously want my knees to outlast me.

Oh, and I can't swing the VFFs (at the moment, atleast). The ridicule in my circle would just make it impossible.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #57
George Mounce

Profile:

Any shoe will just about work as long as the heel isn't higher then the forefoot (I can seriously notice the difference between my work boots and my Chuck Taylor's or my VFFs). I often switch between my New Balance 790s or my VFFs, just depends. What you don't want is a shoe putting your body on a wedge - this helps to create heel striking, as that is the hole reasoning behind having a huge heel cushion. Take out the heel striking - no heel cushion is needed. I did the 10k the other day in my VFFs and I felt fine. I use somewhat of POSE with a little Gordon Pirie mixed in.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #58
Aaron Winter

Profile:

Does the "500 mile rule" apply to these types of shoes the same as they would a gooshy support shoe?

How well do h-streets/sambas/tai chi's/vffs hold up? With h-streets discontinued, are Puma Cortlandts a good lateral?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but until I've given it a shot, that's all I've got.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #59
Craig Loizides

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Winter View Post
Does the "500 mile rule" apply to these types of shoes the same as they would a gooshy support shoe?

How well do h-streets/sambas/tai chi's/vffs hold up? With h-streets discontinued, are Puma Cortlandts a good lateral?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but until I've given it a shot, that's all I've got.
I've heard you can go longer than 500 miles, but I'm only up to about 200 miles on my H. Streets so I can't say for sure.

Also, I was in a store recently and saw the Puma Saloh. They looked identical to H Streets. You might want to give them a try.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 AM   #60
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Winter View Post

I have both cortlandt and h-streets. Cortlandts are a spikeless xc version of the h-street; more substantial uppers and a bit thicker sole with rubber knobs. The knobs don't really get in the way for anything, I've squatted with them and done thrusters just fine. I mainly use them when I run on grass/gravel/dirt or when a WOD calls for short run intervals (cuz I run in my backyard) and they are great. H-streets can be found on E-bay if you keep searching long enough... it took me several weeks to fins a pair in my size. So far, nothing compares, they are the coolest shoe I've ever owned. If you're gonna use them for xc you better have some strong ankles cuz they are basically slippers with a thin rubber sole.

(I still have that size 9 Nike waffle racer if anyone's interested)