CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Gina Johnson

Profile:
I really do feel like I found my home! I come from a very athletic backround with extensive training in gymnastics and bodybuilding.After years of both, burnout hit me hard and I couldn't bring myself to look at another machine and wrist injury/age slowed me down with gymnastics. I am a certified personal trainer but the gyms lack of motivation was killing me. Lo and behold crossfit came into my life at the nick of time! I'm 4 months into it and I've never been stronger or looked better! My long term goals are to become certified and affiliated and open my own garage gym.I love being a part of a group of people with the same mentality as myself. At my age,it's a little hard to find others who thrive off of the challenges and intensity that is crossfit. Anyway, I'm excited about my future with crossfit...I've got a lot to learn and would LOVE to hear how other girls around my age are doing. Thank you a million times crossfit!Without sounding too corny,I truly feel born again!!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Wade Miller

Profile:
Gina,

Welcome. I know the feeling, dito what you are saying.

All the best,
Wade
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Kat Campise

Profile:
Hi Gina!

I'm glad to see more girls joining the ranks! I discovered Crossfit in April 2007. I lurked, I read the WOD each day, I ruminated, and then I finally decided that Crossfit is what I needed to improve my fight performance. I came from a BB background as well, but continued to lose interest as my desire to enter fitness/figure competitions waned.

I've always intended to have my own home gym. Crossfit has facilitated this as I've been weaned off of the "Globogym" cardio and muscle isolation machines. I recently interviewed for a group fitness position at our local over populated bastion of fitness mis-information...but the snooty group fitness director's vision of dancy aerobics clashed with my vision of actually working the participants arses off...oh well...she lost out...

And for me, well, it is getting easier to move that 200 pound punching bag with my striking combos...:showoff:
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Connie Morreale

Profile:
hey gina,
fellow personal trainer, 46 years old and kicking a$$. we are on the same page here. talk to you lots, i'm sure.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
Gina Johnson

Profile:
Thanxs Wade...I feel like I gained a ton of friends overnight! I'm new to message boards so this is great to be able to communicate like this and share our common interests. Crossfit, I noticed with myself as well as others, seems to have a way of taking over our lives! I call this a good thing!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
Gina Johnson

Profile:
Hey Connie! Great to hear from you. What I have found to be very cool is the compliments I receive now that I didn't get 20 years ago! This is the pay-off, to be admired for our perserverence through the years. There's just no stopping us!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Gina Johnson

Profile:
Hey Kat! I too had a similar exp. with my former PT director.He was just too 'programmed' to even consider familarizing himself w/crossfit on the website! As you said, his loss ! This crossfit world truly is for a select few....it really weeds out the wimps fast!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Hey Gina~
I too had a similar experience, PT, aerobics instructor on military bases for 10+years, BURNT out trying to educate the system on practical fitness for the Marines. Left the scene, found CF 2 months ago through my sons, Marines. I am completley enjoying the challenge and look forward to getting certified too~ Hope to see you at a CF cert/seminar~
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Gina;
Welcome aboard. Read every post, attend a cert ASAP, tweak your diet, have fun.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Gina Johnson

Profile:
Lisa- discovering crossfit is like having a new lease on life... just what we've all needed to kick start us again and bring that passion back. Hope to meet you too at a cert...ya never know!