CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Mike would be considered to be a very good fighter....he has fought some wars, and seems to have a legitimate shot at becoming a very, very good fighter. He has the natural ability to do so, and the drive to do so as well.

The big test for Mike will be his first loss. That will shape him for the rest of his career. I have spoken to Mike a bit on various Forums and he seems very professional, very driven and a very nice guy. He is a work horse in the gym. Before he went on TUF he had excellent strikes and very good submissions.....his weakness was wrestling. From working with Tito and Matt Hamill his wrestling has come on a huge ammount!!!

So yeah, he would be a threat and right now could easily be considered one of the best English fighters out there.

Ross is a different story....he COULD be excellent but he needs to accept the roles of subs and wrestling in modern MMA. He can knock out anyone....he can throw bombs....but he loses because he cannot defend subs. That said, Ross is loved by people....he will fight anyone, anytime....no excuse!!! Not quite as much potential as Mike, but if someone could make him see the light he could do well in the UFC!

Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy is, in my opinion one of the best fighters in the UK. He loves the game, loves to train, has no major weaknesses and can hit like a train. Keep an eye out for him in the future as i would expect some good things.

I could also see Brad "One Punch" Pickett doing good things with some hard training and a bit of luck. He could easily go fro 145lbs as he is now to 155 over time and makes some waves on the international scene. As i said, some luck, the right trainers, the rights fights and you could see him in UFC someday too.

I would not say that one particular fighting would be top of the pile.....no one clearly stands out as being the best in any country....cept Russia and Fedor!!! ha ha ha
Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

Brad Pickett is great. I don't know how he would stand up to the international scene, but he has solid skill and huge heart.

"He's also worked atleast one fight recently."

"Charlie, I'm not sure what you mean...?"

Although most of you probably already know this, a "worked" fight is one that is pre-determined (in the dreaded pro-wrestling sense). Although Severn is a trooper, one or two of his recent matches are reputed to have been works. Any true MMA fan will shudder at the mere thought that works are creeping into the sport...
Old 06-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Looks like I called this one.

Without explanation, one of the main bouts, featuring UFC Hall of Famer Dan “The Beast” Severn, has been removed from the card.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2302&zonei d=13
Old 06-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I have heard the rumors about Severn's worked fights as well -- there are a few other fighters in the US that are known for working fights.

Works have been in the sport for a while, though -- primarily in Japan, where the line between pro-wrestling and MMA is very thin. Pancrase was notorious for worked matches, Pride has had worked matches on their cards, the Rings organization grew out of prowrestling, etc.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Yep, Dan was not on the card due to "contract dispute."

There were two early stops by the ref, but overall a good card.