CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Any other crossfitters train in Filipino martial arts?

If so, do you do your stick drills before or after your WOD?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Matthew Albanese

Profile:
There's a general consensus that skill training should take place when you're fresh, hence if you are training martial arts skills and doing a WOD, it's generally more productive to do the WOD last, or at least get 3-4 hours of recovery time if doing the WOD first. That being said, I'm a big believer in training/practicing the skills you already have when you're tired.

I train/teach at a school that offers Kali as well as JKD, Thai Boxing, etc. I'm one of only a few people there who do CrossFit, and I usually end up doing the WOD after all the classes have ended. Though sometimes it's easier for me to stay motivated by doing it first thing as soon as I get to the school, and I'll end up with anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to recover before class starts. So I'd say I get a pretty good mix of before and after training. On occasion, I'll try to turn the class into a WOD. I usually do this with the Thai Boxing classes, but once or twice I've done it with kali.

Here's one that went over particularly well:

10 rounds (just because it's all we had time for)

2 minutes of a double stick drill (any 6 count, saint drill, uno dos cuatro-doubly punishing on the legs, btw)
Immediately followed by 10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, and 30 squats.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Interesting. My FMA instructor told me that I might want to try doing drills after working out, because the fatigue would simulate an adrenaline dump. Not sure I agree with him, though... I feel that if my muscle memory includes drills with lousy form, that can only be a bad thing.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #4

Profile:

yael - i would suggest doing both. you definitely want to work technique when as fresh as possible, particularly new technique, to get the best possible motor learning. but you also want to train that technique while fatigued. basic way to go about it is to train new technique while fresh, and once it gets well enough ingrained, throw it in with your metabolic conditioning. but you don't want to perform new skills fatigued because you'll end up overwriting good movement patterns with poor ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Whenever we train with sticks, we usaully don't do Crossfit before, but what we do instead is warm up with a crosspit type WOD and then defend the 1-5 strikes with empty hands. Then as we recover we will continue with some more skill work with the weapons. Before sparring (arnis) we may have both students spin around with their stick untill nice and dizzy, then fight!! That's fun.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Okay, stick drills, then WOD, and then more stick drills, I get it. :-)
Old 06-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Allan Talusan

Profile:
I am training for the World Championships in Full Contact Stick Fighting in a couple weeks and as a personal experiment have adopted crossfit as a regular part of my training for 2 months now. I do find that if you go to a fma school that pays particular attention to metcon and "cardio" training then doing Crossfit right before training can be detrimental to your stick fighting performance. I've done Fran and Cindy and a couple other WODs right before stick fighting which means then my Crossfit WOD>30 20 minutes jump rope> 30 minutes stick bagword> 15 Minutes footwork> 20-30 minutes stick fighting and drilling. With a WOD as an appetizer, by the time I'm ready to bang sticks, my arms are putty. Now I do the WOD in the morning or after my workout and I can see the impact that CF has on my fight game (more power, moresprint endurance, speed, etc). In fact, it is a wish for me to do well in the Worlds as a representative of the Crossfit community. If you are talking about a regular FMA curriculum class (90% technique) then I think that CF anytime before or after would be great.

One thing we like to do now in stick training are tabatas with sprints on the heavy bag and also burpees, sprawls, slam balls, tuck unders, etc. That is a great workout for fight conditioining imo.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #8
arunas rudis

Profile:  
Hello Allan,

I am interesting in FMA. Where can I find more information about World Championships in Full Contact Stick Fighting?

Best regards
Old 06-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Allan Talusan

Profile:
You can look at www.wekafusa.com with the information. It will be in a couple weeks in Disneyworld Orlando.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Kawika Bennett

Profile:
new skills then conditioning, or atleast have a long break.

if you are in a tournament i could see the advantage of wod(especially fgb) then a few rds of sparring.

for the fma people out there how often and frequently do you spar? also anyone fight/spar rattan without wekaf protection?