CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I know it's not the healthiest thing to do. Honestly I would prefer to have weigh ins the day of the fight to avoid this aspect, but what can ya do.

My question is simple. How do fighters dehydrate/rehydrate in the safest manner possible? I'm looking for very detailed plans. If you need numbers, use a lean 180 cutting down to 165 with at least 17 hours to rehydrate.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
John Hackleman

Profile:
How lean? Maybe fight at the next weight up?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
John, I'm about 8% (that's me in the pic to the left) ... I don't have the conditioning to fight in a heavier class and I'm also a short 180 (5'7), so 165 would probably suit me better as a fighting weight. I'm quite happy walking at 180 and don't want to permanently drop to 165, so that's why I was looking to dehydrate/rehydrate. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Anthony-

How I would approach this will depend completely upon when weigh-in occurs. With the UFC type rules you have more than a day beofre the fight to re-hydrate/replace glycogen. If one must weigh in the morning of then you may need a different apporach.

In the first scenario I would start a program of hyper hydrosis 5-6 days out from the event that looks like this:

5 days out from the event consume 4 liters water.
4 days out/4 liters
3 days/3
2/1-nil
1/nil

The heavy consumption of water early will inhibit antidiuretic hormone (vasopresson)production. When you drop the water intake you will shed a water very easily but it tends to be healthy as you will derange electrolytes much less than say hours in the sauna.

After weigh in use a ballanced electorlyte formula like pedialyte or one of the non-calorie electrolyte sports drinks to come back to normal.

If you have a lot of weight to loose and day before weigh-ins you can also go 20-30g of carbs per day for the last 2 days to get a loss of water that associates with glycogen. Glycogen replacement whould then commence after the weigh-in with 300-400g of low GI carbs like yams or sweet potatoes being consumed throughout the day.

If you weigh in the day of and or do not have a load of weight to loose then just rely on the hyper hydrosis.

It goes without saying that one must limit sodium intake during the HH process!

You MUST do this whole process at least once and at least one month prior to competition to get a sense of how your body responds. Set it up just like an event with sparring and the whole deal.

It works and I think it involves a bit less suffering than other methods.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Ditto what Robb just posted. That's how I do it. I'd play around with this, as Robb said, at least a month or two prior to competition to see how your body responds. You may have to restrict your calories just a little to lose the entire 15lbs.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Robb & Veronica, thanks very much. That gives me something to chew on. I would absolutely test this out LONG before a fight to see how I react.

My weigh ins have typically been at Friday 7pm with competitions starting Saturday between 12pm and 4pm. The local MMA organization is going with a Friday 7pm weigh in and Saturday 7pm fight - although I'm a long way away from being ready for a mma fight. I just want to prepare myself well in advance so I know what to expect and how I respond to various factors.

So with that said, maybe my first attempt would be:

mon - 4+ litres
tue - 4 litres
wed - 3 litres
thu - 1 litre, calorie restriction
fri - 0 litre, calorie restriction, possible sauna
fri - after weighin, commence rehydration (yams, pedialyte, etc)
sat - continue hydration, eat normal fight day diet, kick some ***

Seem okay?

Also, what about natural diuretics such as caffiene, vitamin c, etc? Any use or over hyped?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Anthony, I'd do the hyper-hydrosis without the calorie restriction to see how your body responds. If you can't drop the 15lbs, then adjust your diet/calories to lose the extra weight far enough out that your body can adjust to training at the lighter weight. The idea is to train at a weight just over your weightclass limit where you can lose the extra overnight just by dehydration and not calorie restriction (besides maybe skipping a meal or two.)

I'd be happy to have the advantage of having a good 12hrs or so to rehydrate after weigh-ins! In al OL comp we have 2hrs to rehydrate and fuel up. I've been told that you'll sacrifice less strength losing the last bit of weight in as little amount of time possible, than by cutting weeks out. Not sure if there is any data on this, though. Diuretics can help, but be careful with that if you are alreay dehydrated. I know a lifter you had to be taken to the ER when he collapsed in the warmup room due to dehyrdation - ended up needing an IV, I think.

And just to give you an idea, I've been able to drop 5lbs, from 110 to 105lbs, in 24hrs by hyper-hydrosis and fasting. At 180lbs I'm sure you can lose quite a bit more.

good luck!