CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
I am getting back into shape after a long layoff. Did cross fit most of 05-06, fel off the wagon, and look awful.

I know crossfit works from m y own experiemce. I am curious about amateur weightlefting competition. I think that having a competitive sport will motivate me.

How do yoo get started? Are there novice classes?

I live in the triangle area of NC.

B
Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Mike Burgener

Profile:
usa weightlifting: www.usaweightlifting.org is the governing body of the sport of weightlifting. you become a member of this organization: $35 per year. this allows you to lift in sanctioned competitions thru-out the usa. i know there are coaches in your area, so i would call usa-weightlifting and speak to andrea brinkman: 7190=-866-4508 and ask her what certified coaches are available in your area. futhermore, i would suggest to contact the crossfit people in your area and see if they can teach you the lifts. oly lifting competitions are fun and exciting. i am sure you would have some fun.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Bryan, a couple of us competed for our first time at a local CF affiliate (CF San Diego) today. It was a USAW "Local Weightlifting Club" meet. Like Coach Burgener wrote, you pay to get registered with USAW (either on line or at the meet), then it's $10 bucks a meet.

Hook up with your local coach, get a little work on your technique, then go for it. The people we were lifting with today had widely differing experience levels and abilities. There was an outstanding amount of support from everyone.

Try it, you won't be disapppointed. Until then you can find a ton of info on Coach B's page - www.mikesgym.org