CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I have a Ford F350 which sucks for taking the kids to the Y or other little trips and costs $70 to fill up with diesel. My wife drives the Prius and taking my patrol car to the store is frowned upon. I've had a hankering for a Mini Cooper for a long time and here in the Tacoma area you wait about 6 months to get a regular Cooper and a year for a Cooper S.

A 2005 Cooper S is being detailed and safety checked at the local dealership and should be available soon and is a dark silver color. I wanted red with black stripes but dark silver works too. I have test driven them but that's all the experience I have behind the wheel and I am looking for input from anyone who has one as to how much you like the car. It is specifically for around town trips with the kids and no long haul stuff.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Eugene, if I'm not mistaken I saw Nicole driving a really nice Mini at the last seminar. You might drop her a note.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Cole Hanley

Profile:
Your kids get tired of flipping tires and the next thing you know your new Mini is on its roof. Bummer.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Thanks Matt...now I remember seeing one at the Golden Seminar as well. I want to see if all the hype is worth the 26 grand they want for a used 05.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Eugene:

What's your main goal with the next car? Fun to drive? Gas mileage? Size? I love this conversation--talking about the "next car" is a blast. I'll have to do it in the fall as we replace our SUV so it's nice to know that I can turn to the CF group for ideas.

I had lots of luck with used Saabs a few years ago. Pretty good gas mileage, more comfortable than a really small car like the Mini, and a ton of fun to drive. A 3-5 year old 9-3 turbo will cost about as much as the Mini. Another option: we just bought a VW golf turbo-diesel for my 17yo son to drive. 40+ mpg...a little get up and go...perfect for a broke 17yo! Just a few thoughts.

Darrell
Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
John Velandra

Profile:
Eugene,
I use a pt cruiser and LOVE it. The great thing is that before I bought it (until I had someone show it off to me), I never wanted one and now.... totally recommend them.

Great storage for all the toys to take to a park, decent milage and very comfortable. Ask Abbie about mine the next time you see her.

John
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Eugene,
So you were watching the "Italian Job". All that tire flipping ought to come in handy for parking. How much will it cost you to repair them? If it takes another mortgage to fix the alternator is it worth it? I have been driving Nissans and have had very good luck, both in maintenace and gas, with them. The Altimas are nice. I would get one of those if I were getting a sedan again. I have an 03 Maxima. The four doors are nice for little people. I would look at Edmunds and Consumer Reports to get some info on cars of interest.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Mini-Cooper-S-2002-Present-COOPER-S-2005-MIN I-COOPER-S-TURBO-DUAL-MNRF-LEATHER-6-SPEED-12K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107009 QQitemZ4633196844QQrdZ1

I'm working on getting this one.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Cole Hanley

Profile:
Pretty cool looking - should be a lot of fun. But will the other toys make room for it in the garage? That is such a great looking garage you've got - it would be a shame to mess it up by putting a car in it.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I have another garage for cars and you can bet this little beauty will have its own garage space, warm baths and a nice blankie. I would never put a car in the gym.