CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Mike Varga

Profile:
I want to join the revolution against big box gyms. So I am in the process of becoming affiliated, and hopefully I can make a change in my county. My majors in school have been science and exercise science so I'm starting to educate myself in business. I'm reading as many books as I can about business and am writing my business plan as we speak. I'm aware that we're all here to help one another out, so I was wondering if anyone had a solid business plan that they wouldn't mind sharing.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill Russell

Profile:
Read through the posts in this forum. There are many many affiliates who regularly post great ideas and tips for the new folks. Skip Chase has posted some of the most valuable info a new affiliate could ask for, put all of his posts together and you'll have a fantastic draft of your operating plan.

We are starting an affiliate this year and plan on using many of the ideas posted here.

I'll look for a few of the really good threads and I'll post links for you. I'm sure you will find them helpful.

Good luck,

Bill Russell
Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Mike,

IMHO, I think part of the difficulty in nailing down a specific model for a CF business plan lies in the broad variety of affilate approaches. There are so many, and while I haven't recently searched the boards here I've not yet seen a business plan for an affiliate. Our small facility started in the back yard with close friends. We then grew at a pretty conservative rate.

The slow but steady growth allowed us to gradually purchase equipment until we not only had about everything we need, but also (and way more importantly) had a good accounting of exactly what equipment WE needed for the demographic we serve. You don't want to spend a bunch of money on light weight stuff, then have nothing but semi-pro or college level athletes showing up to your place.

By the time we got into our new facility and filled it up (we need a new spot already...) we were glad we had no business loan to pay back. We controlled the growth and we hope our athletes are happy with that (at least they don't throw things at us). Now our equipment expenditures have no negative impact and they are usually exactly what we need.

Skip has some great and true advice. You can't go wrong looking up his past entries. I'd advise you to also hook up with an affiliate run by folks like you (longtime private trainer with tons of clients, younger trainer starting from scratch, husband/wife) in an area similar to one you serve (college town, military base, housewives, office/business district) then keep asking those good questions.

Good luck.

Steve
www.crossfitmarina.com
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
James Howard

Profile:
Mike,

I am also beginning my affilliation process here in Virginia. I have read a lot of business books over the last few years and thought I would recommend some of the better ones to you and anyone else interested. Here they are:
The E-Myth Revisited
The E-Myth Mastery
Blue Ocean Theory
The Purple Cow

If I remember any more or can find the books, I will post them. Good luck and I hope you like the books.

Jim
Old 04-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
David Wallach

Profile:
Hi Jim,

Excellent advice on that reading list. If you dont mind: where in VA are you?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Scratch the business plan idea and just start doing it. Besides, I bet the plan will change drastically over the course of a year in business. Start small and go from there.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
James Howard

Profile:
David,

I am located in Virginia Beach. I have written the essay and am getting ready to submit it. Right now I am in IRAQ, so I hope to be able to get an affilliation without having gone to a certification or having met very many people in the community.

Jim
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Ryan Shupe

Profile:
I agree with steve, start small. I am currently working on a small space that is actually attached to a gymnastics facility. They like crossfit and think a crossfit gym would be a good fit. I had no business plan just walked in met the owner and told him about crossfit. 6 months later we are working on the layout.

-Ryan{}}}
Old 05-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Adam Kruppa

Profile:
Where you thinking about starting in VA Bch?

There's a girl that works at Bally's that I heard is leaving to start a CF in VB.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
John Schneider

Profile:
James,
Where are you at in Iraq? Funny how being over here can get crazy ideas in your head like this one. It seems to be going around I guess.