CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
larry guyett

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit for a few months. My daughter who does jv cheer and BB could benefit from crossfit mostly for BB. Now I'll only have 3 days a week after the season and thur the summer.

Weightlifting wise I'll start her with squats, deadlifts, pushpulls and then add thrusters wallballs ,cleans, box jumps etc.

Now my favorites are Fight gone bad, Anne are you ok type workouts.
My question is with 3 days a week how should I break up the workouts ? 2 days of oly and powerlift type workouts and one day of fight gone bad type ? Or switch every other day etc. ?

She needs strength along with endurance.

Thanks. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Larry

I wouldn't cherry pick the WODs. If you have followed the WODs you'll see that they are arranged in a 3-on/1-off sequence. I would just take one of those 3 day chunks and spread it out over her 3 workouts.

Another route to take is the Maximum Effort Black Box. Replace the middle day with a pure strength effort like 5x5 back squats or 10x3 deadlifts. The first and third days can be metcon.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
larry guyett

Profile:
Thanks i like that idea of taking the 3 wod and spreading them out over the 3 workouts a week.

I may start with a month of learning DL's, squats, pushpress etc.

Keep 'em coming thanks.

(Message edited by Larry on January 10, 2007)
Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Larry,
I have a little bit of experience with this. I just sent off an email regarding strength training kids. Here is a portion of it.

"I have two examples at Brand X, boys that have been training for three years, David and Connor (my son). Both boys weigh 120#'s and are now 15. The first year we did the wods with little or no weight, PVC pipes and 10# bars. Very hard on a 13 year old boy who is watching his friends bench press and squat and brag about all the weight they are using. What we did during this year was practice fundamentals. The second year we began adding real weight to their Crossfit workouts. The workouts they were doing would be what you see as the Big Dawgs on the kids site. Because they had spent the time to get their fundamentals down, they quickly were able to move up in weight. Last summer we added strength work to the mix. The results have been astounding. Both boys are sophmores in high school. Connor made the varsity wrestling team on a team predicted to win league and place in CIF. At 120# he does Fran as Rx'd with the mens weight (95# Thrusters) in 5:12. David made the varsity soccer team. As a sophmore was picked team captain and has been asked to go play in England for 6 months. David has a Helen time of 7:40 seconds using the mens weight of 1.5 Pood KB and running 450 M per round instead of 400. He may well have the fastest recorded Helen time and he is only 15. CF is the platform we work from. The strength is in addition to it."

The best thing you can do for your kids is stress the fundamentals. Chipper like workouts are fun (that is why everyone does them) but the biggest bang for your buck will come from couplets and triplets. Run and Squat. Run, Thrusters, Pull ups. These kinds of workouts are going to the most for your kids.

We've played with the addition of strength work a couple of ways. The ME schedule described above, and currently we are trying taking our ME day and including a very brief (under 10:00) Metcon workout after.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
larry guyett

Profile:
Jeff, thanks. My first thought was run squat,run Dl,pushpress type of workout. I'm thinking of a warm up of back ext. sit ups,wall ball,dips ,chins (on gravatron sp? ) then 3 rounds of run /weight moves. Maybe two days of that and the middle day of metcon ?

She has good flexabilty from cheer and can do back handsprings ,splits etc. She nees to be able to run the floor for a whole game and gain some strenght.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Outstanding info Jeff, thanks. Your kids are a real inspiration and also further proof of the wide applications of CF. It was a kick seeing Keegan tossing the bar around at Coach Burgener's.