CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
I had a crossfit “first” yesterday. My buddy and I were leaving a posh health club (our dojo is located in the annex, where we both teach karate to kids/teens) after doing Tuesday’s (050823) WoD. The gym facilities are nice, but typical of many “big-box” gyms with most of the floor space dedicated to machines of some sort – we did our workout in the small, but sufficient, free-weight area.

We received the usual amount of stares during our Push-Presses and Push-Jerks, and afterward were discussing some ideas in the parking lot when a young man approached us. “Were you two guys just doing that crossfit workout stuff?” he asked. Stunned, we told him “yes” and spoke long enough to find out he had been following the site and slowly incorporating the philosophies into his own workouts. He said he could spot the routines a mile away in the midst of all the other gym patrons.

What struck me the most was how I felt to meet another CrossFitter who’s only link to us was a website and a desire for fitness. I had begun to think of us as alien exercisers: two smart kids on the short bus. I almost wanted to do some sort of “secret crossfit handshake” when we met him – I don’t know how else to describe it.

Anyway, we are already organizing a small group to meet at the park and share what we’ve found in Crossfit – as you’ve shared with us. Thanks again, Coach (and all at CFHQ).
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I can't wait for the first time this happens (if at all).

Cool story.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

I'm afraid I still get nothing but the often, blank, and sometimes just plain horrified, stares... that's great, Seth!!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
"Two smart kids on the short bus." Non-PC to be sure and a wonderfully original and brilliant expression of exercise giants in the Liliputian world of commercial gyms. How wonderful that like minds in training outlook can link you so quickly and powerfully.

It's a beautiful thing.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
What is the official secret crossfit handshake?

Perhaps thats something we need to work on:biggrin:

Nice story Seth, i'm in the same boat as Pat, i get blank stares and people back away from me slowly as they sidle toward the hearest bicep curl machine
Old 08-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Zachary Hany

Profile:
The only problem with a secret Crossfit handshake is that it would probably involve lifting the other person into a fireman's carry and walking for a quarter mile. No problem with that, just hard to keep it a secret. Then everyone would be doing it...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Thomas Kryston

Profile:

Never had the experience of a chance CrossFit meeting. Especially in my gym where 85% of floor space is devoted to machines.

But man, you're right, when it does happen, it must be a fantastic experience. Sort of like your own personal needle in a haystack experience.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM   #8
Micah Lundborg

Profile:  
In order to spot CrossFit people at a gym, there are three things to look for...First, look for the people who are doing a workout that appears to benefit the whole body. Secondly, look for the person who, while doing that workout, is sweating and breathing much harder than anyone else. Finally, watch for them to complete their workout. If upon completion, they fall flat on their back and look as though they might be dead (except for the heaving chest screaming for oxygen), then they are a CrossFit person.

As for the handshake, I generally use "the bump." Fist to fist. Why? After a workout, it takes too much energy to try and open the hand and clasp it around someone elses.:happy:
Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was at the National Association of Fugative Investigators conference in Orlando, Fl last week. There were some very unfriendly Zone beverages flowing. To balance out my dietary nightmare, I worked out at the posh gym in the hotel (Omni, very nice). 21-15-9 x 45# DB thrusters / pull-ups. Now I have my own gym, in my basement. No one sees me workout. Here I am MOTION in the middle of 35# concentration curls and treadmill jogging. I really didn't remember how bad it was "out there"! Of course I got the odd looks, I did more work in my warmup (3 x 10 pullups, 15 situps, 10 dips, 15 overhead squats, and 15 DB swings (of course no KB in the gym)). One guy asked what I was doing, I explained, he was intrested...until about 5 very slow thrusters, he was then too tired, lateral raises really kick your butt. I came home to my gym and kissed the rubber horse matts.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Working out at home means everyone I meet here does crossfit!

I think we should all go down to Australia and stare at Pat workout and then grab him and do a fireman's carry down the road.