CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I have to tell you everything about me before I really delve into this post.

I was in the Marine Corps back in 95-99. I was an "air-winger," which meant we NEVER pt'd. In other words, I got really fat!

Well, I got out of the Corps and got even fatter. Then I joined law enforcement and lost some weight at the Academy, although I would have lost more if I hadn't drank so darn much.

Well, I got fat yet again because I did'nt PT like I should have. I lifted weights all the time because I love lifting weights. I lifted to be the next Arnold. I would love to have that kind of physique, but I don't have the time to workout like that nor do I have the money for steroids. I also don't want to lose my job due to steroids, either.

Anyway, I saw my father in Feb of '04 after he had his SECOND stroke. That was enough for me to realize that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. I found out back then that my BP was HIGH (170/90) as was my resting heart rate (95 BPM).

I wasn't having it.

Well, I lost the weight (from 250 - 175) when I boxed in the Arizona Police and Fire Games. Now, I'm at about 188 - 190 depending upon whether or not I've had enough fibre in my diet the night before.

Anway, while I was training for the fight, my resting heart rate was still between 65 - 75.

Last morning, while I was still in bed, I checked it just for the heck of it.

I'm under 60 BPM now. I haven't done anything different with my diet yet. I started CF about two weeks ago.

Michael Joyce, who is quoted on this site, introduced me to this site. Thanks goes out to him and to the creators of this site.

God Bless both of you. Michael's recommendation and the creators of this site have helped add years to my life!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
Dan Silver

Profile:

Excellent work, brother. Stay safe on the streets and amaze your co-workers by scaling fences that many would run from.

-D.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Kris,
What kind of diet did you use to lose?

Thanks,
SS
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I ate nothing but grain cereals, chicken and vegetables. When time was getting even closer, I eat mostly negative calorie foods. This consisted of beans and vegetables. My wife wasn't happy with that diet.

I also ran like a dog, ALOT.

Boxing training is a very extensive workout, too. But, it deals mostly with stamina training instead of strength training. I lost a lot in the strength arena, but I'm QUICKLY getting it back with this CF.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Sean Harrison

Profile:
^^^ Wow! Nobody has replied to you for some time.
They must be scratching their heads as to how someone can lose weight with grains in the diet.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
Chris Wyant

Profile:
I have the worst diet for an athlete period. Red meat in huge quantities, chicken, bread (white and rye), frnech fries, pancakes, waffles, french toast, pizza, orangina, water, milk, orange juice, and stoned wheat thins (thats about it). But when I was a lwt for crew - even on this diet - I could easily lose 10lbs in 2 days right before a race by 1. Huge #2's 2. Sauna 3. Running like a dog. It was during these two days that I would pay attention to my heart rate alot. Before starting my standing heart rate (no excercise just take it and go) would be 56 (resting was around 41-43) but then when id go and lose weight - Heartrate would bump to standing of 65. Just goes to show what stressing weight can do to the heart.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
You can lose weight with grains. You can lose weight eating nothing but junk. Weight loss by itself is simply about eating few enough calories to lose weight.

There is a difference between losing weight and performance. I lost 50 lbs on Weightwatchers. But the zone diet kicks my performance up a notch that is just too wierd to be coincidence.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #8
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Well, for me, it was A LOT of fiber that did the trick.

Plus, I also did the "negative calorie" thing right about a month before the fight.

Oh yeah, I won the fight, too. Now, I'm 1-0. I guess I'm done while I'm still at 100%