CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
Last night I was doing air squats for my kid because at 8 months old, they are his favorite thing to do and he cracks up when dad does them with him. After about a minute of this, the middle of my back on the right side of the spine felt like something tightened (I was focused on my kid more than form). Since then, I have had a strain like pain right where the ribs end. I slept on the floor and have been working the area constantly (praying that I do not have something serious). Today, I can tell that the pain is there but I can move full range and feel fine. I really have to move that particular part of my back to make it pronounced.

Any advice??
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Garth Reed

Profile:
correction to my post. I just tried to lift a 30lb box and got a sharp pain. I guess I am heading to light duty for back exercises. THIS SUCKS!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Garth, it could be a dislocated rib. I have a rib that dislocates from time to time right at the socket where it attaches to the spine. The pain is best described as a dull discomfort that varies in intensity.

My massage therapist easily pops it back in after loosening up the muscles around it.

This may or may not be your problem, but I thought I'd mention it for you to consider.

Regardless of what the problem is I would think that a trip to a good massage therapist would be a wise move.

Hope you're feeling well soon.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Ryan Kelly

Profile:
Jason,
Can any rib dislocate? I've had a dull pain in my upper back for two years, which sounds similar to your symptoms. I've been able to reduce the pain by using a foam roller, but it's never completely gone.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I think a rib head can get "out" a little.
A major dislocation with a rib would probably keep you from moving and breathing very well.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Any rib can shift its location and cause pain. It is not a full dislocation, as this would require tearing of the ligaments that hold it in place. Instead it is refered to as a subluxation, it moves slightly out of place, but not enough to do permanent damage. If a subluxation is in the middle and upper ribs will be a sharp pain upon breathing in and the pain may refer around to the front of your chest about the same height. A good chiropractor will be able to tell if it is a rib subluxation or a muscle strain or both. Be sure too find a chiropractor who does not guarantee "100% health" or other outlandish things in their advertising. Find a good, down-to-earth chiropractor who will perform a series of orthopedic tests to determine the cause of your pain. An x-ray for this condition would be only to rule out any fracture, and should probably not be used for any other reason by your chiropractor. Good luck.