CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Im talking with someone in Socal about bumper plates. He is selling used plates for 1.00 / pound. Is this a good deal? I am local to this guy so I would not have to pay any tax or shipping.

Nick
Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
The brand is important. Based on the brand either No, Ok or a Screamin' deal.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
What brands would be worth spending 1.00 per pound on? The guys name is Battalia and apparently was or is the boxing coach for Shamrock! I did a reverse number lookup on him and thats what came up. He is selling a bunch of equipmenso hopefully some of it is really good! If its worth it and he has more I will update here.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
If they are in good shape, with no shipping, taxes etc. you are probably doing ok at $1/lb.

New kraiburgs are being discounted by rubberman for $1/lb. I think HI-temp are in this ballpark new. I think RB was in the $2+ range new, but don't quote me. Then you start getting into the high end stuff where that is dirt cheap.

I have heard about VTX brand splitting and there are some dogs out there.

If they are in descent shape its probably a "fair" price, good luck!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Bill Russell

Profile:
Nick,

If they are solid rubber plates, I'd buy all of them at $1/pound local/no shipping. The Rubberman (great guys) are offering there 10lb and 10kg plates at $1/lb plus shipping, but I think their heavier plates are $1.20 (with the CF discount).

I bought some rubber covered steel plates a while back when I did not know there was a difference. I got lucky and got them for 29 cents a pound. I would not pay $1 a pound for those, so check to make sure what your socal guy is selling.

(Message edited by Otis My Man on April 03, 2007)
Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I bought a set! I got 2 x 25kg, 2 x 20, 2 x 15 and 2 x 10. So about 308 lbs for 290.00. These plate are solid rubber (steel core only) and are color coded. There is no manufacturer name per se just a symbol. A triangle shape with a barbell as the lower leg. Ill snap a pic of it tomorrow morning and post it here. Im curious to know what Ive got.

Good deal or not, I love my new plates! Now all I need is a decent bar!

This guy, Battalia Bellamoundo, is the boxing coach for Lion's Den. Really cool guy and he has a ton of stuff to sell! He has even offered to build me a lifting platform! I will start a new thread regarding these plates, pricing and contact info. He has STACKS of plates 6' high so there are many good deals waiting to be had.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Here are the pics of the plates. What kind are they?
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39317.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39318.jpg

Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
Nick Cruz

Profile:
There is a guy in Fullerton that has a ton of used bumper plates for sale for 1.00 per pound. He runs Battalia Fitness and these are some of his older personal plates. I picked up a set of 25, 20, 15, 10 kg's from him yesterday. He also had a bunch of other equipment including mats, treadmills, dunbells, good quality barbells etc. I forgot to ask him but he may very well have some kettlebells. He said that he also build lifting platforms and sets up small gyms (garage or apt type).

When I first contacted him he said that he would deliver weights to me, so that might be an option for some of you.

Note: I have no affiliation with this guy and I don't even know what type of plates they are. He assured me that they were good plates and the condition of the plates seems fine. I did see a stack of plates that had the little slugs that are used for fine tuning the weight but they may have been pound plates, I wanted kg.

Again, his name is Battalia Balamoundo and his number is 714-524-6330. He is VERY Italian and as such it is a bit hard to understand him at times. Tell him that Nick sent you and ask him about his training Lion's Den and his Olympic contentions. He will talk your ear off and hook you up proper ;)
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Paul Findley

Profile:
I would be there if it wasn't 1041.41 miles away. Sounds like you have hit the motherload. Calibrated plates are $$.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
Nick,
Good looking out. I am going to check out his wherehouse on tuesday. I'll get the same stuff you did... we'll see what he's got.

Once again, thanks!