CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I recently procurred my first barbell (I am saving benjamins for a Crossfit set from Pendlay). I bought it through Craigslist, its a CAP barbell, and it cost me 5 bucks!

It used to be chrome (most of that is peeling off now), the collars dont spin too well, and I think that the diameter is larger than a std Oly bar. What do you expect for 5 bucks! Im just happy that I finally have a bar! Anyway, Im wondering how to go about livening it up a bit. Id like to remove the collars and lube the bushings / bearings (I dont know what it uses). Is this worthwhile, recommended? Is there a safe way to do it or do I just head at it with my allen wrench set?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Can you set it on end and let some 3in1 oil or WD40 seep into the bushings? For 5 bucks, that's awesome. Lots you can do with the empty bar if weights don't fit (d'oh).
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
It was way too light but I did my first WOD that required weight from home last night. My little garage gym is coming along so well that I will be able to cancel my globo-gym membership shortly! I even got my Speecy Spicy Squat Stands (SSSS for short) finished yesterday. Ill take some pics in the next day or so.

I will leave some oil to set in the collars today and see what it does.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Nick, I had an Ivanko bar that was rusted solid from lack of care (got it for a bargain)

I just poured oil in each end and dropped it a lot not expecting much and lo and behold it loosened up and is now as good as new.

If your bar has allen bolts in the end you'll probably find two things

1. It's easy to pull apart
2. They will constantly loosen on you during workouts so be careful and once you've got it lubed up consiuder some loctite for the threads.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Matt Smiley

Profile:
I too bought a cheap-o CAP barbell from CL a while back. Just a quick suggestion: weigh it and make sure it really weighs 45 lbs! Mine doesn't - only 31 lbs!

Certainly not a big deal, but it can be pretty disappointing to train on it for a while and then one day discover that all your PRs are 14lbs short of what you thought they were!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Suggestions noted. Actually, my bar, for whatever reason, feels like its more than 45#. Actually, I should restate that as the bar fels heavier than the bars I was using at the gym. Maybe THEY were lighter than 45#. That and the diameter is bigger than the bars I was training with at the globo gym. Whatever, I dont care, I can finally squat and clean at the house!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Nick,

For better results, remove the collars and clean out all the grit on bar and collars. Then apply white lithium grease to the areas it contacts. The grease will continue to lube it and should last a long, long time. I've done this with 2 bars I've purchased used. This is for the non-bearing type.