CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Rod Gates

Profile:
Hi all! I have read through many old posts and while some people say olympic weight denomination doesn't matter, those with a preference seem to unanymously agree on kilograms over pounds. One poster said he was selling his pounders to get kilos. Unfortunately nobody ever really explains why. Both have plates that end with a zero or a five so adding up weights doesn't seem like an issue. Anyone care to educate a rookie...yet again...sigh! Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Metric is more standard worldwide, and simply a better system of measurement. If you're just doing stuff in the US lbs is fine, if not kg is better.

lbs needs to go away. Just the opinion of an engineer.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
John Vernon

Profile:
Kg's are a much better from a competitive standpoint. You want to get into the habit of using and understanding Kilo's so that the conversion comes quick, or you need no conversion at all. You don't want to be sitting around trying to multiply 65 x 2.205 to figure if it's safe to lift. I guess what I mean is, for O-lifting it's all kilo's, it's just the way the sport is.

I didn't get it at first either but now after a few years I much prefer Kilo bumpers over lb's.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Robert Dobo

Profile:
The Metric system is far superior to imperial measurements, just another engineers opinion
Old 07-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Kilo barbells and plates come in nice, round numbers. That makes loading faster and mis-loads happen less often. Also, the best equipment comes in kilo increments.

Besides - the 45-pound denomination for U.S. barbell came about because when revolving sleeve barbells (aka "Olympic" barbells) were first invented they were 20 kilos in weight. Rather than manufacture 20 kilo barbells AND 50 pound barbells, the manufacturers simply sold their 20kg barbells to the U.S. market as "45 pounds". So even if you try to buy in pounds you'll end up with some of it in kilos anyway.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
The flip side to all this is that I've seen more than one Iron Head do some slick addition with multiple plate sizes being swapped in and out on a bar.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Reality is though, that in the states, most equipment is driven by the scholastic sports martket. American football is a billion dollar industry, and it is the cornerstone of scholastic athletic sales. Most HS football coaches only understand lbs, and that is how the equipment manufacturers have responded. It would that Mac Brown, Pete Carroll, and all the other top football coaches at the collegiate level to travel to Texas, FL, and CA and start preaching that all weight training programs can only be successful if written in kilograms before affordable KG equipment will truly be available.