CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Bob Haskin

Profile:
I have worked out since I was about 12.

Highschool I weightlifted.

College - use to do 150 push ups between chairs, hand stand push ups, V-ups, etc.... Mostly body weight stuff. 2 hours per day, 6 days per week. I felt great at that point. Also jump roped every day for 10 - 20 minuts.

Got into Karate and now have a 3rd degree black belt and just did Karate for a while but it was not enough.

At 32 I got back into weight lifting and am now 46. Last year I was tested and at 165 lbs I was at 7.6% body fat.

My work outs consist of:

Day One: 1 hour Karate
Day Two: 1/2 hour Karate
10 reps bench press 185
10 reps bench 205
10 reps bench 225
10 reps bench 245
3 sets of 10 reps of flys using machine
3 sets of 10 reps of chest using 80lbs
dumbells
3 sets of incline back pulls using 155#
Incline stomach crunches - 4 sets of 30
Stretching

Another 1/2 hour Karate at night

Day 3: 1/2 hour Karate
20 minutes plyometric exercises for legs
30 minutes stair climber
4 sets of reverse crunches 25 reps
Streching
1/2 hour karate at night

Day 4: 1/2 hour Karate
Dumbell curls each arm 50 lbs
Superset pulldowns on machine single arm
using 90 lbs
E-Z Curl Bar - 3 sets of 105#
Superset pulldowns on machine double arm
using 140 lbs
3 sets concentration curls using 60 lbs
Superset tri extensions using 35 lbs
3 sets Hammer curls using dumbells 50lbs
3 sets of 10 Wide grip pull ups
3 sets of 30 L ups with legs
Stretching
1/2 hour Karate

Day 5: 1/2 Hour Karate
2 Plyometric exercises ( I have many of
different ones)
3 Sets of 155 lbs Squats
3 sets of 50 V-Ups using Crunch Bench
30 minutes on Stationary Bike
Stretching
1/2 Hour Karate

Day 6: 1/2 Hour Karate
Sets of Bench Press same as Day 2
3 sets Incline Bench with Dumbells 75lbs
each hand
3 sets of Flys on machine using 200 lbs
Super set 3 sets of back using 160 lbs
by reversing fly machine
Hanging stomach exercises - 6 sets of
various using 20 - 50 reps each set
Strech
No Karate - Its Friday!

Lately I have been getting a little "thick" from the weight lifting. Arms a little too big and body too thick. I want to maintain more of a gymnast build. Also sometimes I get injuries to my shoulder and have to stop benching for a week - happens usually once a year.

As I age form some reason I think I would be better off going to more of the gymnastic approach and using body weight training like I use to in college. In fact I may stop weightlifing all together. Why? I think I can stay just as ripped and probably be in better shape although I may loose some size. But the strength to body ratio appeals to me more than size does. I see too many guys get big but loose definition.
I think the reason I have not lost definition is because my Karate and aerobic and ab stuff diminishes some of the size that I might have if I just did nothing but weight lift.

Thinking of going the planche push up and gymnasti routine route with some leg and ab exercises as well as aerobic stuff and continue karate but mostly give up the weights.

I have more of a gymast build than a weight lifter even though I have lifted heavy weights. But 1) I am somewhat worried about injury 2) When I run up and down stairs I can sometimes feel the muscles in my chest go up and down which feels like uncessesary weight - just the bulk with the chest and the arms seem like unessesary weight to me, 3) The bulk slows down my running and 4) I get so damn tired and sore I think I may be overtraining.

My diet is excellent - eat 6 times a day, take protein and glutamine. Eat mostly turkey, fish and chicken. Not too much sugar or pasta or bread.

Anyone just do body exercises only here? Should I give up the weights completely?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Why not just try Crossfit for a couple of months? If it doesn't work for you, you can go back to what you are doing or just do bdywt stuff.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
I do mainly only bodyweight exercises. I do squat and DL though since there is not much in the way of heavy resistance for legs using bodyweight exercises. DLs are there a lot for my lower back since I don't tumble or do vault anymore which takes away the intense plyometric moments that strengthen the lower back. So you might want to keep at least these two exercises. But a bodyweight routine for your upper body is awesome.

Since I have access to a pair of rings I usually do workouts along the lines of:

dips
pullups
rows
front lever progression holds & pullups
planche progression holds & pushups
flys on rings
cross pullouts
handstand pushups

You really only need rings for the flys and cross pulls. The rest will make you literally ripped and increase your strength to bodyweight ratio through the roof. I've gone to do weighted dips three times and I've dipped 70 lbs with a weight belt at the weight of 135 lbs.... without maxing out. Last time I went was 1x8 w/ 45, 55, 65 and then 70 pounds.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

If you're squatting with 155 and benching 240 that's a good sign of an extremely overdeveloped upper body/ underdeveloped lower body. You seem to think of weightlifters as having huge upper bodies because you are confusing weightlifting with bodybuilding. In fact, olympic weightlifting training puts most of its emphasis on the back, legs, and hips, the most powerful area of the body. Doing a lot of gymnastics is great but if you stop lifting weights and ignore the hips and thighs you will be making yourself less fit, not more so. My advice is cut back on the curls, flyes, and bench presses, and add pullups, handstands, ring work, cleans, jerks, snatches, squats, deadlifts, and metabolic conditioning. You could do this the hard way and come up with your own routine, struggling to make sure you aren't neglecting anything, or you could just follow the WOD and supplement it with extra work targetting your weak points and extra stuff you want to work on like gymnastics work.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was a gymnast, so no offence here but you need to integrate Weightlifting, Powerlifting, and metabolic conditioning to a gymnastics program. Throw in ketelebell exercises, dumbells, rope climbing, core work. Mix it all up and time your workouts for a challenge; sound familiar...it's Crossfit! Do the WODs for three months. Three months are not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. You will either be converted and never leave, or you will learn the program is not for you.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Bob Haskin

Profile:
Thanks guys. I think what I am going to do is combine a lot of the upper body gymnastic stuff with the WOD's. Going to make some paralettes and am currently working on planche pushups which I really want to do. On my third progression of holding them on the floor.

I use to do exercises similar to Steve's. I am finding heavy weight lifting leaves me less functional - builds too much bulk and slows me down.

By the way Russ its not that my legs are skinny - their very proportional - its just that with Karate you want to be as explosive as you can. This seems to be accomplished using lower weights and trying to explode against the resistance or do a lot of reps.

I find if I squat using heavy weight my legs tighten up even though I stretch them a lot (and I do full Chinese splits) - and it slows down my kicks because my legs get tired and stiff. Lower weights seem to work better for sports that require max speed. But I definitely am still going to do leg routines including weights. I really like the plyometric stuff and I have learned a program from a trainer at the gym using plyometric exercises for the legs.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
Bob,
If you want explosive power for your legs, it is best developed with the Olympic lifts. Shane Hammond is the top Olympic lifter in the U.S. At 5'9" and over 300 pounds, he can dunk a basketball! At the '64 Olympics they did testing on all the athletes. Olympic lifters had the highest vertical leaps and the fastest 40yd dash times; even faster than the sprinters. If that study is outdated, realize that if no longer the case, it's because the other athletes have advanced their lifting programs and are now using Olympic lifts. Nothing, but nothing, develops explosive power through the leg and hip like the Olympic lifts and their complimentary movements.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
John, do you have any reference material for the 64 olympics? I've heard people mention this before, but no one has ever shown proof. Not saying I don't agree with you, I just want to read the report!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Bob Haskin

Profile:
So John are you talking about squats or just general various leg/weight exercises done by olympic lifters?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
Rory Gibson

Profile:
Bob,
John's talking about the Olympic Lifts - the clean-and-jerk and the snatch. Both of these involve squatting and require very high levels of explosive power output.
Have a look in the "Exercises" section of the site for videos.