CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
Okay, I have finished my first two weeks of Crossfit. For the most part I stick with the WOD but I cannot get away from powerlifting altogether. Twice a week I do a little ME (Max Effort) lifting. I generally do flat bench once a week and closegrip bench once a week (5 sets of 5). This has not so far interfered with my pushups, HSPU, etc. Pullups are a challenge but otherwise I have a lot of upper body strength from years of powerlifting. I do need to learn the Olympic lifts better. Anyone near Chesapeake, VA who trains these lifts. My problem is endurance at this point. I get very winded in the long supersets. My concern is in my first two weeks I have been able to tighten my belt by one notch but I still gained three pounds. Is this just filling in of accessory muscles? I participate in NO-GI Jiu Jitsu and do not want to move up in weight class. I was hoping CrossFit would increase my endurance (looks promising) but help me drop weight. I am 5'4" and 194 lbs. At this weight I have a 34" waist and am probably somewhere around 20% so I know I have fat to lose. Is it possible to get more endurance, lose weight and not sacrifice any of my strength? I have an average game in Jiu Jitsu and have been able to do very well because of my strength. I do not want to give up this advantage.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Welcome to CrossFit, Timothy! I would strongly recommend looking at the Zone diet. Look at the CrossFit journal #21 for all the info you need to get started. Guaranteed to lose fat weight and improve performance. Continue with the WODs and your metabolic performance will improve with time and no worries, you are not going to lose strength, but will probably gain strength. Your recent weight gain is probably due to increased muscle fiber recruitment. Get on the Zone to lose the weight you want to lose. Stay with CrossFit to be a better, stronger athlete. I'll be interested to hear what happens to your "average game in Jiu Jitsu" after a couple months on the Zone and CrossFit workouts.

Other CrossFit Journals you might look at for info on Oly lifts would be #'s 4 (a good squat is the basis for all lifts and CrossFit workouts),5,11,12,33(contains a good article on CrossFit and Powerlifting). Also watch the videos for the Oly lifting moves on the website by clicking on "Exercises" on the main page and you'll find videos to multitudes of the exercises used in CrossFit WODS.
Good luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
Thanks for that info. Never followed much of a diet before. I have always just tried to make sure I got around my bodywieght in pounds in grams of protein. Other than that if hungry eat but not till I am full just till not hungry. I will check out the Zone diet.

As far as squats go I am not too concerned. Right now my best raw squat was 495 for 3. I have also been box squating 315 for sets of ten on a 12" box. While this was great I did not feel like I got any direct functional rollover to my game but it did make my knees hurt. I just seemed to have strong tight hips. Strong is good tight is not. I have tried the OHS but I have to get some mobility back in my shoulders from too much powerlifting. Found some good exercises on this site for that. My shoulders feel better in the last two weeks than they have in years. I must have been really imbalanced. The more pullups and cleaning type movements I do the better my shoulders feel. I also usually avoided deadlifts based on the squating and Good Mornings I was doing, this is a recommendation based on the darkside's conjugate method of training.. Again the lighter/higher rep squating and cleaning from the olympic lifts and Deadlift High Pulls have made my knees fell a lot better. I am getting older and ego lifting versus being able to climb the 3 flights of steps to my office without discomfort is starting to change my priorities.

Thanks again for sending in the Zone diet direction.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Timothy, that is definitely some impressive squatting! What do your other numbers look like?

To answer your question, I do think it's possible to maintain/improve your strength while using crossfit. Like you, I do some 5x5 work in addition to CF. I was using a 6 on 1 off routine (CF/CF/5x5/CF/CF/5x5/off), but have recently switched to 3 on 1 off (CF/5x5/CF/off). As it stands, I'm pretty close to a raw triple body weight deadlift. I'd say things are working well. :biggrin:

Also, I compete in judo/grappling and had absolutely NO endurance. At my last competition I was gassed after my first win ... and it only took 30 seconds. I have spent a couple of months focusing on my conditioning with crossfit and in my last sparring session I went 5 rounds (3-5 minutes, fresh man each round) and it felt like a light warmup.

Stick with it and I have no doubt you'll get to where you want to be.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

"Is it possible to get more endurance, lose weight and not sacrifice any of my strength?"

Most likely yes. Though no matter what, some compromise must be made somewhere. It/s up to you to decide where
Old 02-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
What do your other numbers look like?

Bench - I have always been weakest here. I have benched 310 for 2 recently. My best ever was 365 which at the time was over 2 times my bodyweight.

Deadlift - I have pulled a 425 in the past 2 months, My best ever about 10 years ago when I was in my mid to late 20's was 620. I have not focused on this in quite some time, just been doing speed pulls to keep form. I do not think a 570 deadlift is in my near future. Your 3X your bodyweight deadlift is impressive. Great Job!!!!! Maybe if I can get back to my competition weight of 165 lbs (powerlifting) I could think of the 3X bodyweight deadlift.

I had quit lifting for about 8 years and started back when my son tore his ACL and needed to do something to get in shape and rehab it the best he could until he has surgery. They want to wait until he is 16 and his growth plate is starting to harden before fixing his ACL. He is 14 now and hurt it when he was 13. So I have only been lifting heavy again for about 14 months. I will be 38 this month and while strength is important staying injury free is more important to me now. The little aches and pains when I was younger tend to be a little worse and I find myself a lot stiffer and I need a few more warmup sets than I did back then. Probably needed more back then but was too young and dumb to know better.

Training has evolved so much I am really impressed. Crossfit type training definitely makes me feel better. Learning Olympic lifts is new to me. I had previously tried mixing powerlifting with Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning but I like this format better.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Very impressive numbers, Timothy. I'm not quite at triple bodyweight for deads, I have another 15lbs to go!