CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-18-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I liked the idea of the hopper at the CrossFit Games -- it emphasizes the randomness -- but it occurs to me that it's still filled with "CrossFit exercises." You're still a trained individual who's experienced with jerks and pullups and snatches etc. If an endurance cyclist came in he still might argue, "you train with this stuff -- I don't."

How about going the next step? The true benchmark of versatility would be exercises you've never done, or at least not trained with. Fill the hopper, not with stuff from the Exercises page, but with tasks you make up or draw from real life. It doesn't have to be totally outlandish, but it should be things that are out of left field. Coach says "we blow you away at stuff neither of us does." Okay... isn't that the real test, then?

Next year I want to see a workout with paddling a canoe, controlling a parachute descent, and loading a pickup truck. Maybe that's a little hard to execute... but they've got a while to think up ideas :-)
Old 07-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Fireman's carries would be great in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Maybe use that oft-mentioned "shoveling gravel" example?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Alex McClung

Profile:
...wheelbarrow work, sledgehammer blows, haybale/sandbag tossing, hole-digging, split firewood, wade & retrieve, ladder climbing with implements, telephone pole dragging...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
If an endurance cyclist came in he still might argue, "you train with this stuff -- I don't."

He is only good at one thing. Crossfitters train at many. No matter what you did to accomodate an endurance athlete he would still lose any test of comprehensive fitness.

If you put "100 mile bike ride" into the hopper the odds are still excellent that the cyclist would get crushed in the Crossfit Games. If he got lucky and that workout came up - and the odds are not good - he'd still have to put up a Crossfit Total. He'd come in first in biking and last in the Total. And all would still be right with the world.

Shoveling HAS been posted on the WOD! As have wheelbarrow work and sledgehammer blows.

I like the loading of a pickup truck, that would be a great workout. For time move 50 sandbags onto a 36" platform 5 feet away. Excellent for anyone who lives in a flood area!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I'm not arguing that, Lincoln; I'm just saying that, technically speaking, CrossFit is our "sport," so if our real goal is to be good at all sports/activities, it seems most fair to test it in ways that are outside of everyone's comfort zone.

Nice ideas guys :-)
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Great idea Brandon!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yeah, I like it.

A hopper filled with benchmark workouts like "Fran", "Nancy", etc. and another hopper filled with uncommon workouts like gravel shoveling, truck load/unload, wading through chest-deep water while weighted down, the quarter-mile shotput, odd-object dragging, whatever. As long as it is functional, practical to implement in a large competition and pre-tested enough to be found safe. Chances are someone will have done it before but probably not all that often.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Hmmm, Lets run with this. Say they have part of the workout include gravel shoveling, brick moving, truck load / unloading, sledge hammer blows, large object tilt up like, I dont know, a framed wall ro something. Finish it all up for time and we just did a "Habitat for Humanity for time! It would be a great advertising tool. I'm just sayin.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Craig Loizides

Profile:
I like all the ideas here.

I'd like to see the CFT made random. Maybe 1 type of squat or pull from the ground, 1 press, and 1 pull all chosen randomly. I'd also weight the exercises so they all counted for roughly the same percentage.