CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
richard kilpatrick

Profile:  
my ? is how far can you modify before it is no longer the wod? On yesterdays tgu workout it took me 30 min to do 2 complete rds, 21 reps 45lb bar. I notice alot of people either cut the reps way down or went to a 25lb bar or a dumbell. I'm sure I could have done a much better time had I modified the workout but is that the point? Should I lighten the load or reps so that I can bang out 5 sets in real good time or just struggle through the wod as rxed. It's my understanding that coach sets these workouts up to address specific weaknesses, so if your cutting the weight or reps in half isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the wod? Curious what others think on this.
Rick
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I've only been here a short time, but this has got to be the most popular question I've seen. :-) Some people say you should keep the weight (I try to do this when I can) and others say you should keep the time frame (~20 minutes).

I think both methods should work well and in slightly different ways.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yep there are two sides to this argument and I think it will never ever be resolved. So I will go out on a limb and say: If you want to be hard and tough as nails then do as prescribed 6x a week. If you want to have elite athleticism then scale to your fitness level and gradually increase intensity.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
GEORGE FISH

Profile:

Richard - My advice is simple and age old. Listen to your body and alter the WOD to suit your personal needs. If you are new to Crossfit, using a say 10kg DB on the TGU WOD will provide a good WOD as will perhaps doing a shorter WOD. I believe it is all about shifting the intensity of the WOD to push your personal threshold. For those who have followed Crossfit several months the WOD as set is an excellent test, that said having been a dedicated Crossfitter, almost to the point of obsession since Feb 04 I occassionally will listen to my body and lower the intensit of the WOD. In short so long as the individual is being pushed the altered WOD is a winner - and probably safer!