CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
not sure if this fits better in WOD or "starting" but i just began following the crossfit method and WOD. today, oct 26, involved a 95 pound bar thruster. not being able to attack that out of the gate, i used 65 and was then humbled to discover i had to do it in blocks of 5 to finish the whole 21 reps etc.

my question is about people's experiences trying to obtain the 95 mark. i am going to try to add weight the next time, while still getting the whole requirement (21 in this case), even if i have to do them in singles. i wonder if anyone has also tried to get their numbers up to 21 in whatever weight they used, and then added weight.

i have a hypothesis that you would get different results depending on whether you try to get the benchmark weight versus getting the rep count and then moving on from a solid base of all the numbers.

i myself operate under the impression that it is more important in crossfit to get the benchmark and then work on getting reps up, as opposed to reps first then weight amount. thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I try to use the heaviest weight possible and ensure I get all the reps. For me, that'll probably be 75lbs when I do this workout in a few days (I'm 4 days behind now).

Old 10-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Closely look at this workout. All of the numbers are divisible by 3 (21=7x3, 18=6x3, 15=5x3, 12=4x3, 9=3x3, 6=2x3, and 3). It's that way for a reason. Almost everone has to break the larger sets up! First work up the weight so you could do 7x3@95# thrusters. Then reduce the rest times between the "mini" sets. Then perform straight sets with rest between exercises (ie between 21 reps of thruster and 21 reps of pullups). Then do straight sets with no rest (I'm not there yet!).
Old 10-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
The only thing I can add to Larry's post is to check your form when doing these exercises. Thrusters tax the entire body because they combine a deep front squat with a push press. In last month's CFJ it was noted the bar travels about 3.25 feet and uses a ton of energy to move it. If you're not getting deep in the squat (like me) you're not getting the full benefit of the exercise (like me). That said, I was wearing a heart monitor during yesterday's WOD and noted my HR shot up to over 160 each time I got to the thrusters. I was doing them with the 95# as Rx'd, but not going as deep as I should. Next time, I'll probably drop the weight and take my advice on form.
Hopefully that adds something of value to what Larry said. I always seem to break sets until they get under 10.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
About going deeper. . .I've been using my Dynamax 20# med ball, and sitting back onto it for squats and thrusters. Really just touching the ball. This makes sure your going deep enough and are always going to the same depth.