CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
John Phipps

Profile:
This week I am heading to fabulous Las Vegas for a conference. I will be leaving on Thursday and returning Monday. Does anyone have a favorite workout they would recommend? Something I could do in the room without much equiptment. I could bring my jump rope and ab wheel or something. I have some 4lb and 8lb sledge hammers I cut down and could put in my suitcase but I wonder what airport security would think. :wink:
Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
John,
Here are a couple of threads from the archive; give the search function a whirl and you might find some others too.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/3335.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/1502.html

Old 08-10-2004, 05:03 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, you could always give the bodyweight "benchmark workouts" a spin. Angie: 100 pullups, pushups, situps, squats; Barbara: 20 pullups, 30 pushups, 40 situps, 50 squats (5 rounds for time 3 min rest between rnds.), Chelsea: 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats (each minute, on the minute for 30 minutes). Of course if there is no pullup bar in sight subsitute another exercise (HSPU although not using the same muscles, gives a similar or harder challenge). With a portable bar or subs for pullups, you could do all of these in a hotel room.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

John:

Think squat thrusts . . . lots and lots of them. "Prisoner's Workout": do 20 squat thrusts, walk across room, do 19 squat thrusts, walk back, do 18 squat thrusts, etc. Guaranteed to wipe you out, unless you're in VERY good shape.

If the hotel has a gym, even a lousy one, you can do it down there and insert chinups, or one-arm DB snatches in between each set to really fry yourself.

Dave
Old 08-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

In Las Vegas, the Venetian has a real gym if you are interested. Of course there may be too many uh, competing interests in town to spend time making a trip there. But where else can you take a Gondola ride, pay $250 to have your body wrapped in seaweed (Canyon Ranch), and get in a good workout under one roof? GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

There are gyms nearby off the strip, but its real tough getting a cab to come out there to pick you up.

There is a playground on steroids type place type place next to the MGM on the strip with a huge climbing wall, I didn't get a chance to try it (you know, competing interests).

I'm with David, it is hard to beat burpees with zero equipment. Add a pushup in (six counts) and it's even tougher. Steve Maxwell adds a chin to each rep which makes it basically Chelsea.

You can do a less than ideal chin on the door. A doorjamb chin bar is worth packing though. And if you're going to take the chin bar, you might as well take a light set of rings. And of course it never hurts to take a couple sets of bands ...

Old 08-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #6
John Phipps

Profile:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definately try the prisoner workout one day but I don't know about starting the reps at 20.
Me and my son Joe, who is now at Fort Knox for his basic training, did tons of pushup and situps for his pre-basic training. We were working out together before he signed up so we continued to workout together with the other DEPs. I was the only dad there 98% of the time and could usually do more than most, except for the running. But we never did Burpees!

Question: does anyone have an over the door chin bar and would they recommend it and are the power rings linked to from Crossfit for $79.99 the ones to get?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
David,

I'm going on a short family vacation on Friday, and I won't have any equipment, so I will accept the Prisoner's Workout 20-rep challenge.
I glad I booked a large hotel room.

A question for everyone:

What do you all think of the idea of doing a really weight-heavy workout right before I leave in order to give the CNS something to remember me by?
I was thinking of doing the WOD from July 18th - the Deadlift/Bench Press/Clean triplet:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000482.html

Opinions?

Thanks,

Ross.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ross, I followed the WOD but pushed super hard for about a month prior to vacation. I don't think it's a bad idea to supercompensate and then use the time away as a rest.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:00 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
We found an interesting gym here in Marstrand, Sweden. It is a gym funded by the government for one of their drug re-hab programs. The people in the program are being trained as divers (not sure why diving...crazy Sweedes!) and they have 24hr acces to this gym. Loads of Ol-y gear with some anchient but beautifull Eliko gear. Bummer I can not sneak any of it into my carry on luggage!

I have had a good time messing around with this stuff and dodging some pretty nasty Jellyfish in the norsh sea. Sweden...85*....topless beaches...I may not return to the states!
Robb
Old 08-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
Remember the big hotels usually have plenty of steps in their stairwells.