CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-16-2004, 04:47 AM   #1
Sebastian

Profile:

Just want to get your opinion on doing a workout other than the WOD. Let's say I stumbled across a workout I want to try, but it does not really mesh with the WOD. How would you guys incorporate it into the Crossfit? I was thinking I could just do the workout and then pick the WOD up the next day, heh, or the day after that if it really beats be down. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Sebastian,

Your idea of subbing a workout you want to try in place of the WOD seems OK to me. However, many have already commented on their admiration for Coach's programming ability. You may achieve better results if you try to 'match' the workout you want to try with the WOD you are subbing for. I think Dave Werner mentioned that the WODs can be broken down into three categories: Strength, Strength-Endurance, and Endurance. Although there's a danger of oversimplification, I'm going to argue that other distinctions can be made for a WOD as well. Is the workout you want to try a 'pushing' workout, a 'pulling' workout or a mix. It is primarily gymnastics-based, O-lifting-based or a mix. Other categorizations can be made. The point I'm trying to make is that if you try and match as many of these distinctions as possible between the workout you're trying and the official WOD the smoother and more effective the process is likely to be.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 06-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I find there is a tendancy to exercise "program shop". I've done it and most people I know have done it. Moving from program to program causes a lack of consistancy and, usually you see no progress. There is also a problem with the opposite, finding a prgram and sticking with it for the rest of your life, ie. bench on Monday, squat on Wed., etc. This is the beauty of Crossfit, look at the workouts for the last year. . .very few repeat (the "girls" and 5K run). You are getting exposed to new stimulas every day! I've been doing the WOD for almost a year and the workots still make me sore. You need to do the WOD but drop the intensity, Work up to full load/full intensity workouts over time.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
If you see a workout that intrigues you, by all means go for it. Experimenting with different modalities is not contrary to the philosophy of CrossFit. And if you find something cool, let us know.
Two years from now, I don't think your level of fitness will be permanently altered by missing workout #23423.
Jumping from program to program, like Larry mentions, is a recipe for getting nowhere. CrossFit has incredible variety, but everything is very complementary as well. You are always doing some form of hip extension, pressing, pulling, etc. Training functional movement patterns for a potent neuroendocrine response is something unique to CrossFit. I think this helps CrossFit carryover to everything you do. So as long as your substitue workout contains functional movment patterns at high-intensity, you should be fine.
As for integration, substitution would be the most obvious choice. Doing two workouts on one day or working in the rest day is another option. I know people will say that you might risk overtraining, but you can always take it easy on a subsequent workout if you feel overtrained.
Just out of curiosity, you say that it does not mesh well with the WOD. What is this workout?

Tyler
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
Sebastian

Profile:

Yeah, I kinda agree with what ya'll said. But, I do read different workout boards, sites, etc. and come across stuff that seems like it may be fun I have never done before. For a long, long time I subscribed to the bodybuilding workouts, chest and curls, and have only recently begun experimenting with other types of workouts. Before I came across Crossfit I believed I should vary the workouts constantly and use multi-joint exercises. Even though I like Crossfit and am having fun with it I still look around and like to do a little experimenting on my own.

Oh yeah, FYI, the workout I am going to do is 20 minutes of one lift, I am choosing deadlift, at about 60% to 70% of your max for 20 minutes. Perform many short sets shooting for 50 reps total and never reaching failure on a particular set.

For instance, if your max on deadlift is 300 lbs (heh like mine is) use 180 to 210, I will probably use 205. Then, if you can normally get 10 do a set of 5 or something take a breath and do another set, just making sure not to go to failure on any one set. I am a few weeks behind the Crossfit WOD so it just so happens I am on a 3,2,2... deadlift day so I will just sub this for it.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Sebastian,

The workout you describe sounded very Crossfittish to me. I could have sworn we did something almost identical to it in the past. I searched the archives and came across three WODs that were very close, IMO:

Sunday 031207
How many rounds can you complete in 20 minutes of:
Deadlift 10RM X 7
15 Push-ups
Post load and number of rounds completed to comments.

Friday 030926
Deadlift 3RM load maximum number of sets in twenty minutes.

Wednesday 030827
Deadlift 7 sets of 3 reps each.
Post loads to comments.

Ryan
Old 06-22-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
Sebastian

Profile:

Heh, I guess I did not start Crossfit long enough ago to do those workouts. Yeah, I thought it was pretty close, but did not see a workout on the horizon close enough so I just subbed for the 3,2,2... one. I am looking forward to a good time, like I do with _almost_ every workout.

*mutters something about those damn 5k runs*
Old 06-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
That workout was mentioned by Steve Shafley in his latest Get Up! article. The technical term is Escalating Density Training:

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm

I would say if you are going to sub for a 3,2,... then fine but you won't get the same stimulus that you would from that workout. So before you do sub you must make sure you realise that, nothing bad will happen it's just that you aren't doing the same thing.

If you're going to do it for a few weeks though I'd be quite interested in your progress.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #9
Sebastian

Profile:

Heh, I got it from Bryce's site and talked to him about it on his board. I realize it is not the same thing and will not be the same stimulus as the 3,2,2..., but I like a variety of stiumuli (or stimuluses, heh) and think it will be fun.

Admittedly, I like going to heavy triples, doubles and singles. I want to give this type of workout a fair shake, but want to continue on the Crossfit thing too. I will be getting a house and some equipment soon and that will make any workout much easier than kicking curlers out of the power cage at my current gym.

Quick question, though. If I want to keep doing these things maybe once or twice a week what do you think the best way to work it into Crossfit would be?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Replace a WOD that has a similar stimulus to the workout you want to do.