CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Cal Jones

Profile:
I've recently been feeling ill and turns out I have cystitis. Thing is I've been feeling fuzzy-headed, sometimes dizzy and generally run down, and whilst cystitis can make you feel unwell, it's not necessarily linked with those symptoms.

It occurred to me today, is it possible I've been drinking too much water?

I have a real water habit. I am always drinking something. I drink two large mugs of tea (English, with skim milk) before work. Two cups of green tea (no milk) at work, a couple of cans of diet coke (yeah yeah I know it's not great but I'm not ready to give it up just yet) and a couple more cups of English tea in the evening. On top of that I sip water constantly. I probably get through 4-5 litres a day. Maybe more.
The only time I am not imbibing fluids is when I'm asleep or if I go running outside. If I travel into town, I'll take a water bottle with me. My mouth gets dry easily so I drink all the time (and consequently pee all the time...the fact my pee is usually clear may have masked the cystitis!)
I will add that I don't have diabetes so it's not that.
Am I drinking too much, maybe? I'm female, 40, 5'7 and around 145-146lbs on average.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Excessive urination and/or clear urine is not bad, don't think it is. Back in my Boy Scout days I went on a few backpacking trips out in New Mexico and we used to go by the saying, "Clear and Copious," referring to our urine to make sure we were hydrated. However, I've been on the flip-side of the coin and suffered from electrolyte depletion once from drinking too much water too fast (near critical dehydration + chugging a lots of water = Darren gets made fun of for the next two years after he passes out 15 minutes later and meets Mr. Lactate IV drip). So yes, there is such a thing as over hydration and it really, REALLY sucks.

I'm no doctor, so I can't give medical advise, but most studies only recommended between 2-3 liters a day. And the symptoms for over hydration are very similar to dehydration, which sounds a lot like what you're experiencing. I'd cut back significantly for a few days. Only drink when you feel thirsty, and then see if you notice any
Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:
You might or might not be.

Lets play with math!

5 liters a day is 175oz in the UK (169 in the US). Most recommendations are .5-1oz per pound of body weight on a workout day. But added with the Coke and tea, (for argument's sake you are in London meaning you drink a real cup of tea not the American super-sized), so at 5.5oz per proper tea cup, that is 6 cups = 33 more oz + 24 oz of Coke (2 cans) is 57 oz of liquid for a approximate total of 232 oz.

Yes, that seems like a ton, and it is for your weight.

I'm 179 pounds, and I drink around 96 oz (92oz UK) of water a day, maybe 16-24 more oz if it is hot out while doing a WOD. When I get hit with the lovely military's random urine test I chug water and feel exactly how you do....fuzzy head, unable to think. Too much water for me.

So is it possible? Maybe. Try drinking less water until you feel you are drinking water regularly, but not "constantly". Caffeine is a diuretic it will help you lose water you have.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Connie Morreale

Profile:
cal, this may sound stupid, but a couple years ago i was "addicted" to water. of course that is not a medical diagnosis. i would carry my camel back with me everywhere i went. i wasn't drinking nearly as much as you, maybe 100-150 oz per day. it didn't make me sick feeling, but i had to slow down because it was impacting the quality of my life. how? i spent my life planning where i would be in relation to a bathroom every hour. i was getting up 4 times a night to go. car trips were agony. like you, my mouth would crave a sip nearly all the time.
we have heard the advice "when you are thirsty, it means you are dehydrated and you should drink." well, in your case, as mine, this is not true, as evidenced by the color of urine. as george suggested, try cutting back. chew gum if it gets difficult. i am now drinking about about 70 ounces a day now and life is easier.
one thing to think about when troubleshooting: have you increased your intake more over the last several weeks? is there a time correlation to when you atarted feeling ill?
and dont sweat the diet coke thing. its only a couple. its not that big a deal (GASP!!!)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Michael Tong

Profile:
Too much water can be deadly, as in the case of the California lady who died from water intoxication a few months ago. Although, she was drinking lots of water and NOT relieving herself. (see WFS link)

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23350

There often are days when I drink 1.5 gallons of water/tea combination in a day, with no ill feelings. Usually, I am at about a gallon. I weigh about 167 lbs., just for reference.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Rich Stackon

Profile:
^I was going to cite that example, Mike.
Cal, females are more susceptible to this infection, and some of the causes are cited here:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/cystitis.htm
Excess water intake can be bad, but I honestly think you may be drinking too much tea: "what you drink can stimulate the bladder and make it more sensitive, he says. Caffeine is a diuretic that stimulates the bladder muscle. Coffee, tea, soda drinks, chocolate -- especially dark chocolate -- have caffeine. Cut the caffeine, cut the problem."

I'd lose the tea or reduce it to one or two a day, and cut back on the soda. If your pee is clear, that is actually a sign you are properly hydrated and there is nothing wrong with that.