CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: CF Moms - Labor & delivery/birthing experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie Willhoit View Post
I stand corrected! I just commented I hadn't yet spoken to anyone who had pitocin and made it through without and epidural. Maybe it's because it was such a short time. Other stories I have heard detailed hours of pitocin-induced contractions.

Oops, should have read all the replies before replying

Did you have pitocin for this one? I asked my doc about inducing by stripping the bag and she said she usually uses pitocin and stripping.

No pitocin. Find a doc that will respect your wishes. What is the medical reason for using pitocin when stripping?

I will have to be sure to ask my husband to remind me of the same thing! But he is already a bit leery of a medication-free delivery - he just doesn't want to see me in pain, so I wonder if he would have the resolve to help my stick by my wish.

Stress over and over that this is what you want and that women have done it for centuries. I asked a couple times. He kept asking me "are you sure? You said you didn't want anything." After a while he did give in, but the doc said it was too late. I'm glad he stuck it out with me.

I briefly considered a water birth, but I think that would have been a bit much for my family...and I was a little sketchy about it myself, lol. Maybe next time!

This was so so relaxing. It takes so much stress off your low back. Almost too relaxing. I think my contractions eased up a bit when I first got in the tub, but pushing was much easier. Thank goodness because she was big enough!

It took 3 times popping myself in the belly with the barbell for me to finally give them up. Lol! Switched to dumbbells for as long as I could, but about a month ago the O-lifts had to go; they were just too straining on my SI joints (I have issues from multiple past injuries). I still do skill work with the PVC pipe and occasionally some lightweight hang power cleans/hang power snatches.

I have awesome squat ROM right now, lol! But add any weight and I feel like my pubic bones are going to tear apart!

Exactly how mine felt!

Absolutely! Thank you so much!!
You are very welcome and best of luck! When are you due again?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #22
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Hell, after hearing about your 4 successful, medication-free deliveries, I want you as MY doula, haha! What an amazing experience to share with your sister!
Aww shucks. And yes it was a very rewarding experience. I had actually planned on flying in a week b4 and staying a week after her due date. I had calculated her due date to be about a week early than what her first MD told her and we went by that date. She later called and said she had a feeling Peyton would come early. She stopped pre-natal yoga and her walks on the beach (she lives on Maui) a week before I came out. The day I was to arrive, she decided it would be ok to take a walk. I arrived around 4pm, her water broke at 7ish, right after her midwife called to see how she was doing and if I had arrived safely. I had a very action packed day 1st day and I had so much more time to spend afterward with my new niece and help my sister get through those first weeks of the "OMG, how am I going to do this" phase of first time mom's.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
Andy Kauth

Profile:

My wife is 100#s (non-pregnant). Labor went very quick for her fr both of our childrem (no medication and not even an I.V.). She just birthed our second child (a son who was a week past his "due date" and weighed in at just about 8.5 lbs)--total time pushing was 4 pushes at 16 min. ... we didn't even get billed for a "delivery" since it was under 30 min. ... of course, she almost had our son in the parking lot ... Our first child (girl) was born "early" at 5.5 lbs and about 20 pushes and 1.5 hours.

Obviously, I can't come close to imagining what it feels like, but my wife would tell you that it feels like you are dying ... at the same time, it's easy to do. If that makes sense?

Labor at home as much as possible then hit it for the hospital--and just know that you can do this! I would never comment negatively about someone choosing to opt for pain medication, but, imwo (in my wife's opinion), you don't need it ... AND YOU CAN DO IT!

Her main source of exercise is CF, btw. ... and we eat a paleo diet, minus a cheat meal every week or so that usually takes the form of a pizza w/o cheese with potato chips smashed all over it.

And drink so much water that you have to use the restroom like twice an hour--annoying but necessary!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
Kim Thornton

Profile:

Andy,

such a cute avatar pic!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Doesn't it make you want to go have a baby RIGHT NOW?!
Whenever I feel that way, Rachel Baratz just starts telling me horror stories about fluids. That works.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kauth View Post
we eat a paleo diet, minus a cheat meal every week or so that usually takes the form of a pizza w/o cheese with potato chips smashed all over it.
Dude. Amazing.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
No pitocin. Find a doc that will respect your wishes. What is the medical reason for using pitocin when stripping?
I don't believe she would be opposed to my wishes. That is just her "usual" plan in the case that I haven't gone into labor on my own by 41 weeks. She seems very open to patient wishes, from allowing me to schedule an induction at 39 weeks if I wanted, to waiting 2 weeks (maybe a little more if I insisted) past my due date to go naturally if needed. But I'm already 50% effaced (I'll be 37 weeks Tuesday), so things *seem* to be ticking along as needed!

Quote:
Stress over and over that this is what you want and that women have done it for centuries. I asked a couple times. He kept asking me "are you sure? You said you didn't want anything." After a while he did give in, but the doc said it was too late. I'm glad he stuck it out with me.
I used the "women have been doing this w/out medical intervention for 1000s of years" argument the other day...followed up with "you don't even like to LOOK at a needle and you want me to let them put one in my spinal column?!?" Lol It's hard to counter his "I just don't want to see you in pain" but I'm getting the impression that he's going to see that regardless!

Quote:
When are you due again?
I'll be "full-term" this Tuesday, May 17th, and my official due date is June 7th. Almost there!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
total time pushing was 4 pushes at 16 min. ... Our first child (girl) was born "early" at 5.5 lbs and about 20 pushes and 1.5 hours.
Oh, if I could be so lucky! Lol. I did just learn that my mom had quick deliveries for my older sister and brother; hopefully there's a correlation between mom/daughter L&Ds!

Quote:
my wife would tell you that it feels like you are dying ... at the same time, it's easy to do. If that makes sense?
Yeah, makes total sen- wait, what? Lol. You mean, like, excruciatingly painful, but worth it? Or, yeah, it hurts like hell, but you know it will be over soon so it's easy to suck it up?

Quote:
Labor at home as much as possible then hit it for the hospital
My husband and I were just debating at our appointment Thursday how long to wait before heading the the hospital (assuming we're at home). Doc recommends waiting until the contractions are 5 min apart for an hour, but we live 25 minutes from the hospital so we're curious about timing...

Quote:
just know that you can do this! I would never comment negatively about someone choosing to opt for pain medication, but, imwo (in my wife's opinion), you don't need it ... AND YOU CAN DO IT!
I'm more confident after reading all the stories here!

Quote:
Her main source of exercise is CF, btw. ... and we eat a paleo diet, minus a cheat meal every week or so that usually takes the form of a pizza w/o cheese with potato chips smashed all over it.
Mmm...carbs topped with carbs. My cheat meal is usually tacos from Tijuana Flats...or pizza loaded with extra cheese!

Quote:
And drink so much water that you have to use the restroom like twice an hour--annoying but necessary!
Noted! Thank you!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Thornton View Post
Andy,

such a cute avatar pic!
I agree!! I have a maternity shoot in a week and a half; I may have to steal this staging for a pic or two! Different attire, though; people might wonder why the hell I'm wearing a fur-lined parka in May when I live in Florida.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #30
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
But I'm already 50% effaced (I'll be 37 weeks Tuesday), so things *seem* to be ticking along as needed!

I'll be "full-term" this Tuesday, May 17th, and my official due date is June 7th. Almost there!
I have a maternity shoot in a week and a half;

You may not make it that long!

I did just learn that my mom had quick deliveries for my older sister and brother; hopefully there's a correlation between mom/daughter L&Ds!

Seeing as how my Mom almost had my sister in an elevator at the hospital and my sisters and my deliveries went pretty quick once active labor began, I'd say "it runs in the family"

Yeah, makes total sen- wait, what? Lol. You mean, like, excruciatingly painful, but worth it? Or, yeah, it hurts like hell, but you know it will be over soon so it's easy to suck it up?

Exactly! :-D

My husband and I were just debating at our appointment Thursday how long to wait before heading the the hospital (assuming we're at home). Doc recommends waiting until the contractions are 5 min apart for an hour, but we live 25 minutes from the hospital so we're curious about timing...

I'd as your mom again, how long it took for her deliveries. I know for me as soon as my water broke it went quick. For my sisters, it took a little longer after their water broke, but once they felt the urge to push it took less than half an hour.[/quote]

I'm excited for you! I'll be looking for updates here soon!