CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Rachel Baratz

Profile:
Re: CF Moms - Labor & delivery/birthing experiences?

Hi. I feel like I went through a similar thought process during my pregnancy. My son is 5.5 months old now, so it's all still quite fresh in my mind!!!

I did crossfit for a year before I got pregnant (in fact, I found out I was pregnant the day after I competed in sectionals 2010,) and my last crossfit workout was the day before my due date....obviously scaled as needed along the way. I was convinced that since I was in such good shape, I could handle a medication free labor and delivery.

Fast forward to 11/22/10 - 9 days past my due date...NO signs of labor. Low fluid levels led to the induction process 11/23 - pitocin and (sorry if this is too much detail) my doctor breaking my water led to labor going from 0-60 in 5 minutes. I *thought* I had a pretty high tolerance for pain. But those contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes, and were bad enough that I didn't want to stick around for the next one (dramatic, but that's where my head was at the time.) After 4 hours of that, I opted for the epidural, which was a good thing because my son turned out to have a shoulder dystocia (where the shoulder gets stuck under the pelvis at the very last second...serious emergency.) No pain meds at that point *might* have killed me...although they were seriously worn off by then. 2 hours of pushing, a whole staff of nurses, and my doctor, somehow got my 8lb 10oz son out healthy and safe. (I'm only 5'2" and 112lbs)

I had an easy pregnancy, worked out throughout the whole thing, and thought I was the perfect candidate for toughing it out drug free. When the time came, it just wasn't the right choice for me given the circumstances.

I think it's awesome to have a plan to go drug free, and surround yourself with the education and support system that you'll need in order to stick to that plan...but ultimately, my advice would be to keep your plan "loose," because things don't always go as you think they should.

Good luck, and I hope I wasn't discouraging...just wanted to give you my experience!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie Willhoit View Post
Thanks for your reply, Veronica! I didn't mean to imply that only CFers should respond and I'm glad that you did! It is reassuring to hear from someone who has experienced multiple natural births. It seems the women I have spoken to who have given birth more than once and went natural the first, opted for the epidural(s) for the rest - leading me to the assumption that once was enough! Lol.

I would like to hear more about your experiences but I don't know how much you're comfortable sharing/whether you want to on a public forum! But on the other hand, if there are others who might be interested in the info...so I'll just let you know what I'm curious about and let you decide whether to respond here or PM me.

How long did your labor and delivery last? Did you opt for an episiotomy? What about tearing? (*cringe* I think that is my biggest concern right now!) How quickly were you able to get back to heavy lifting? (I'm jonesing for some heavy, full ROM overhead squats, lol)

That's probably enough of a bombardment for now! Thanks again for your input!
I don't mind putting it here.

#1 - 5lbs 8oz, 4wks early. I was 19yo. After about 10minutes into having the pitocen (sp) drip, heavy contractions started and 35minute later, while the MD was on a coffee break, the nurse rushed me into delivery, 3 pushes and nurse delivered her head before the doc got there. No episiotomy~no time and no tearing.

I wasn't lifting at the time, but had been playing water polo & lap swimming. I didn't start weight training/intense exercise again for 2yrs or so, when I went back to work as a lifeguard, but was playing in a semi competitive rec volleyball league from the time she was about 1yo.

#2 - 7lb 8oz, right on her due date. My age: 27. Pretty strong 5min interval contractions started around 11:30pm, hospital by 1am. Tried to wait for water to break on it's own, took a shower, walked the halls, had ice chips and lifesavers. lol. By 3:30pm the next afternoon, bag was still intact, so had them strip it. 15minutes later - bam. No epi, no tear. She waited until the rain stopped before she graced us with her presence. I think I had asked for pain meds at some point, several hours in, but husband reminded me that I asked him to remind that I didn't want any. lol

Didn't start back to competing until she was almost 2yrs. But was regularly doing the whole bodybuilding/bodypart training split 5days/wk until I was about 6mo pregnant.

#3 - 6lbs 3oz, 2 weeks early (I rearranged my bedroom furniture all by myself - 2 dressers and a queen size bed. lol I had done the same thing with #2) Age: 32. I was at 2cm that afternoon when I had a checkup and MD said he wouldn't be surprised if I made it to my next follow-up. That night contractions started - again 11:30ish at night. Got to the hospital a little after 1am, MD came in stripped the bag and she was born at 1:49am. Again no epi, no tear.

I had been consistently olifting prior to this pregnancy and started heavy training for competition at 6weeks. Competed at the American Open Weightlifting Champs at 4months.

#4 - 8lb 2oz, right on her due date (I again re-arranged and entire room of furniture the day before) Again steady contractions started late at night 3-5min apart. Midwife called around midnight and arrived around 3ish in the morning. Walked around, took a shower, had my birthing music on. I was stuck at 8cm forever. Got in the birthing tub around 5:30am, again my waters wouldn't break, 6:30 I finally told the midwife to go ahead and strip them and again - bam! 6:47am - there she came. Again no epi, no tear.

With the last 2 pregnancies, I been training consistently prior and until about 5mo into the pregnancy I was olifting and squatting heavy. When the belly got in the way of the snatches and cleans I stopped. Heavy squats were uncomfortable on the hips, too. I have really lax joints to begin with. Another weightlifting mom said she had the best squats of her career when she was pregnant.

Oh and I'm with Tamara. If I could do this all over again, I'd have all home births, but with #1 I didn't have the insurance, resources and support. #2 & 3 again insurance wouldn't cover it and #4 I just said F-it I'm going for it. lol

Hope this gives you more resolve that you can do this, too.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 05-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Meghan Reid

Profile:

ALL of you are freaking incredible.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
ALL of you are freaking incredible.
Doesn't it make you want to go have a baby RIGHT NOW?!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Oh and I want to add that a little over 2yrs ago, my baby sis, was pregnant with her first child at the age of 39 and asked me to be her doula for her homebirth. She had 2 awesome midwives but wanted me there. Maybe it's in the genes, but she had a most amazing uncomplicated homebirth, no meds, no tearing, soft music playing in the background, I manned the camera and then the video when it came time to push so all those precious memories are preserved. She's not a crossfitter but stayed active with running and yoga and some dumbbell routines here and there. :-)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I wouldn't change a thing, but I am not lying when I say that my labors and deliveries were a million times more painful than any WOD could ever be.
I expect that to be the reality of it! Lol. I know pain perception is, like Matt stated above, based on past experiences in dealing with pain, expectations, and how you respond to it. Having these anecdotes from other athletic-minded individuals I think gives me a more realistic expectation than I previously had. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Baratz View Post
pitocin and (sorry if this is too much detail) my doctor breaking my water led to labor going from 0-60 in 5 minutes. I *thought* I had a pretty high tolerance for pain. But those contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes, and were bad enough that I didn't want to stick around for the next one (dramatic, but that's where my head was at the time.) After 4 hours of that, I opted for the epiduralI had an easy pregnancy, worked out throughout the whole thing, and thought I was the perfect candidate for toughing it out drug free. When the time came, it just wasn't the right choice for me given the circumstances.
This is a very common experience it seems! I have not spoken to anyone yet who had to be induced with pitocin/artificial rupturing of the membrane and made it through without the epidural. Several who tried, all of whom said they wish they had asked for it sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Baratz View Post
I think it's awesome to have a plan to go drug free, and surround yourself with the education and support system that you'll need in order to stick to that plan...but ultimately, my advice would be to keep your plan "loose," because things don't always go as you think they should.
I have my "ideal scenario" in mind, which I focus on so that I don't linger on all the possible (negative) outcomes! But I am definitely trying to keep an open mind and stay flexible. I have a friend who felt like a failure because she wanted to go natural and ended up having to have a C-section. If that's what happens with me, so be it! I have already made up my mind that if it turns out I have to be induced with pitocin, I will just go ahead and get the epidural instead of trying to suffer through it. Those pitocin stories are no joke!

Thanks for your candor!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
about 10minutes into having the pitocen (sp) drip, heavy contractions started and 35minute later, while the MD was on a coffee break, the nurse rushed me into delivery, 3 pushes and nurse delivered her head before the doc got there. No episiotomy~no time and no tearing.
I stand corrected! I just commented I hadn't yet spoken to anyone who had pitocin and made it through without and epidural. Maybe it's because it was such a short time. Other stories I have heard detailed hours of pitocin-induced contractions.

Quote:
Pretty strong 5min interval contractions started around 11:30pm, hospital by 1am. Tried to wait for water to break on it's own, took a shower, walked the halls, had ice chips and lifesavers. lol. By 3:30pm the next afternoon, bag was still intact, so had them strip it. 15minutes later - bam. No epi, no tear.
Did you have pitocin for this one? I asked my doc about inducing by stripping the bag and she said she usually uses pitocin and stripping.

Quote:
I think I had asked for pain meds at some point, several hours in, but husband reminded me that I asked him to remind that I didn't want any. lol
I will have to be sure to ask my husband to remind me of the same thing! But he is already a bit leery of a medication-free delivery - he just doesn't want to see me in pain, so I wonder if he would have the resolve to help my stick by my wish.

Quote:
Got in the birthing tub
I briefly considered a water birth, but I think that would have been a bit much for my family...and I was a little sketchy about it myself, lol. Maybe next time!

Quote:
When the belly got in the way of the snatches and cleans I stopped.
It took 3 times popping myself in the belly with the barbell for me to finally give them up. Lol! Switched to dumbbells for as long as I could, but about a month ago the O-lifts had to go; they were just too straining on my SI joints (I have issues from multiple past injuries). I still do skill work with the PVC pipe and occasionally some lightweight hang power cleans/hang power snatches.

Quote:
Heavy squats were uncomfortable on the hips, too. I have really lax joints to begin with. Another weightlifting mom said she had the best squats of her career when she was pregnant.
I have awesome squat ROM right now, lol! But add any weight and I feel like my pubic bones are going to tear apart!

Quote:
hope this gives you more resolve that you can do this, too.
Absolutely! Thank you so much!!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Oh and I want to add that a little over 2yrs ago, my baby sis, was pregnant with her first child at the age of 39 and asked me to be her doula for her homebirth. She had 2 awesome midwives but wanted me there. Maybe it's in the genes, but she had a most amazing uncomplicated homebirth, no meds, no tearing, soft music playing in the background, I manned the camera and then the video when it came time to push so all those precious memories are preserved. She's not a crossfitter but stayed active with running and yoga and some dumbbell routines here and there. :-)
Hell, after hearing about your 4 successful, medication-free deliveries, I want you as MY doula, haha! What an amazing experience to share with your sister!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie Willhoit View Post
This is a very common experience it seems! I have not spoken to anyone yet who had to be induced with pitocin/artificial rupturing of the membrane and made it through without the epidural. Several who tried, all of whom said they wish they had asked for it sooner.

I have a friend who felt like a failure because she wanted to go natural and ended up having to have a C-section. If that's what happens with me, so be it! I have already made up my mind that if it turns out I have to be induced with pitocin, I will just go ahead and get the epidural instead of trying to suffer through it. Those pitocin stories are no joke!

Thanks for your candor!

*RAISES HAND* - my first was induced and ruptured. My remaining 3 no induction, but all the bags had to be ruptured before active labor began. Have you spoken to anyone that has had both pitocin and no pitocin? I don't know, maybe "time heals all wounds" and I don't remember as clearly. But the first didn't seem worse than any of the others. Then again #1 was a wee little thing. #4 @8lbs was huge for me (I'm 5'0", 110 pre-preg wt) and I swore my midwife was trying to pull her out of me. I knew I was done after #4. I didn't want to risk having a bigger baby!

To the second part, it's often the opinions of other people that lead to the feeling of failure, but do what you have to do and once you hold that precious little miracle in your arms ~ all will be well.