CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
5x10 for BF loss (while maintaining strength)?

i know many of you will recommend to go paleo and/or reduce calories but i get between 2500-3000 calories a day and if i go much less i wouldn't be able to lift much intensity or volume. i eat very clean but i do indulge in a bit of brown rice, legumes, yogurt, cheese, sprouted grain bread, ice cream (gotta enjoy life a little!).

and i think some of you will recommend "why re-invent the wheel? just do CFFB" but i can only workout 3 times a week, and also i want to see if higher rep ranges will challenge me in a different way.

i'm on month 5 of 531, really like it, but the heavy weights are sometimes starting to wear on my joints/ligaments/muscles (on my last DL session i PRed and have some pretty harsh DOMS in the lower back). just wondering if it's better to continue to lifting heavy (high intensity/low volume) or mix it up and do lighter weights with more volume for a while?

i've added a decent amount of strength and my short term goal right now is to lose a little BF (16% -->12%) while maintaining strength.

BTW, i do the hypertrophy part of 531 (5x10) after the main lift. i'm just wondering if i should i drop the heavy lifting for a while.

i've had really good success in the past with hybrid programs like this:
mon - SQ, BBR, dips
wed - C&J, Snatch
fri- DL, OP, pulls/chins

5x10 on everything except O lifts on wed which are 10x2. add weight every week to bar.

thanks for your time.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 5x10 for BF loss (while maintaining strength)?

Pick a goal...

You want to lose fat, but you don't want to change your diet and you're concerned about recovery as it is. Do you see how you're going to have trouble hitting both those targets at once?

You don't mention any conditioning work, just strength. If you want to slim down while maintaining your current diet, adding a metcon or two would certainly help. But that won't make recovery any easier.

Katherine
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Pick a goal...

You want to lose fat, but you don't want to change your diet and you're concerned about recovery as it is. Do you see how you're going to have trouble hitting both those targets at once?

You don't mention any conditioning work, just strength. If you want to slim down while maintaining your current diet, adding a metcon or two would certainly help. But that won't make recovery any easier.

Katherine
I do short heavy met cons 1-2 times a week after my strength workouts.
if I had to pick a goal it would be to cut some BF right now, so do you suggest lowering calories while continuing with 3x5 strength training? or 5x10? but not be too concerned about increasing the weights for a little while?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
George Marrtinez

Profile:

5x10 would most likely create hypertrophy. 2 x 5 as heavy as possible will lean you out, and give you strength. 5x10 requires you to eat more, and 2 x 5 you could probably get by in a calorie deficit if you lift first thing in the morning. You may not even me lifitng heavy enough to tax your CNS, and see body changes. Weightlifting makes you lose weight slower, but the results are more tangible, and visible. Pavel deadlifts 505, and he's not a big guy. I've never known anyone to lose strength in the squat cutting calories, but it's likely you're doing too many reps. It is totally dependent on types of food you eat, if you ate a can of tuna versus a hamburger, the can of tuna has less calories, but can produce more energy in my experience, because your body isn't all bogged down digesting it. If you're lifting for hypertrophy you have to eat for hypertrophy, if you're lifting for strength you have to eat for strength. And despite what many people say I can't see eating 300 grams of protein ever, your body just cannot process that much protein in a day, so cut calories, lift heavy, lose body fat.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If you want to maintain strength as you lose weight you do strength work as George said.

Usually anywhere from 3-5 RM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Why not do the Jack S**t option of 531 (ie, do only the programmed 531 sets with no assistance). Decrease the incremental increases to 2.5 for presses and 5 for sq and dl.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Om Puri

Profile:

thanks guys, i will continue with 531 and do just the prescribed reps on the top sets instead of as many as possible, and will keep the assistance volume down, and keep doing short heavy (5-8 min) met cons after the strength workout.

so far in 4 months, my numbers have gone up:
DL 325 -->360
SQ 285-->310
BP 205-->220
OP 133-->138

got some serious lower back DOMS from a huge PR DL session. going to take a week off (haven't taken a deload week in 2 months as i've only been working out 3 times a week instead of 4).

will comeback stronger!