CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Kevin McCahill

Profile:
After CFWF?

My goal was to build strength but continue with metcons...I am an endurance person so I needed the fix.

I have been doing CFWF for 5 weeks and it is a great balance between strength building and the freedom of metcons. I find my press (shoulder surgery 6 months ago) and bench stalling while the linear programming for squats, deadlifts, and power cleans are increasing steadily.

Do I continue on the program and keep the press and bench the same weight as the other lifts increase or is there a non-linear plan you would suggest?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: After CFWF?

5 weeks isn't long to maintain linear progression, depending on where you were when starting. Have you tried micro-loading (2# increases instead of 5#)? Also, have you reset your presses? Decrease your work sets by 10% and start in again, and consider micro-loading this time.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

I have not tried micro loading yet....I just reset the presses today and am looking at some ME-DE style workouts. The strength programs are new to me so i am playing around with ideas. Thanks!

Kevin
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

After only five weeks, is it a stall, or just a bad day? That is, did you miss your target for only one workout, or several?

Are you eating and sleeping enough? Poor recovery is a very common reason for early stalls.

Katherine
Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Microload first before switching programs. You can get alot of gains making 2.5 pound jumps when 5 pounds fails.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Where are your numbers at currently? It's very unlikely you've exhausted gains in 5 weeks.

Microloading is probably the way to go--keep in mind that 5lb jumps for press are proportionally much higher than 5lb jumps on squats. Do a 10% reset then work your way back up 1kg or 2.5lbs at a time. Or you could throw in some accessory work, like weighted dips or weighted ring dips. Have you been doing the dips on the program?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

I am eating and sleeping enough but I think I need to reset the presses and dump the bench. Rotator cuff surgery 6 months ago has reared its ugly head as I hit heavy weights for both bench and presses. It has been suggested that I do substitute exercises - incline pushups (I have a TRX system) and very light but high rep presses instead of my programmed 5x3 bench and press day on CFWF. Good advice? I do not do dips as part of the program but I def. will fit them into my weekly schedule.

I have a home gym so I will absolutely purchase some 2.5’s…right now I only have 5lbs as my smallest plate. Good advice.

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Small plates (1lb or 0.5kg) are usually absurdly pricey given how little material there is to them--see if you can find a fastener store where you can buy fasteners with a 2" inner diameter. A few of them glued together equals about a pound. Even 2.5lb plates won't do you that much good for presses, because a 2.5lb plate increase on each side obviously equals 5lb increases for each upcoming press day, and you won't be able to maintain that for long.

Wait, you said you don't have anything smaller than 5lb plates? So you've been doing 10lb jumps even on press? No wonder you stalled in a hurry. Before long 5lb jumps even on squats will be hard to maintain, so you'll definitely want 2.5lb plates for pretty much all your lifts.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

check out Rogue fitness for 1.25 and 2.5 lb plates: http://www.roguefitness.com/black-steel-plates.php (WFS)

For $16+shipping, you can get a pair of both and really make some huge gains.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Kevin McCahill

Profile:

NICE! I just ordered 1.5 and 2.5 from Rogue...Thanks Eric and Bry!