CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Michael,

Try Costco for the fish oil caps.

As for the caffeine addiction... I feel (or felt) your pain. I used to drink 3-4 diet sodas a day and went cold turkey last November. After about four days the headaches and, "out of it," feeling ended. Strictly water and various forms of it since. Nothing carbonated or sweetened.

Dan
Old 02-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
Ryan Heck

Profile:
Dr. G posted these a few months ago - very helpful
Attached Files
File Type: doc Planning_Your_Meals-25850.doc (35.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Michael Leach

Profile:
Ryan,

That list of food is or isn't Paleo? From what I've read elsewhere and then looked at that list, I'm seeing certain foods that it (that list) says are OK, but I read elsewhere to avoid. ie.. salt, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, etc.

Are most people being strict 100% Paleo? I've completely given up coffee, soda, tea, etc, but those lists seem to say its OK. However, I still drink Orange juice, Pomegranate juice, etc and that list says no fruit juice.

Also, no tap water... I have well water at home and a water softener (we do have Zephyrhills water at work), is bottled water that much better? I drink a couple gallons of water a day and that'd be a significant cost factor if I switched over to bottled water.

As far as cholesterol and stuff, I read a couple of those cholesterol myths and they say that you can eat as much bacon and eggs as you want, but then most other places say to avoid bacon and limit eggs to a few a week. Am I being too obsessed with looking to follow the diet so strictly?

aaaaah! :pokey000:
Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #14
Michael Leach

Profile:
Whats the deal on oil too? "The Paleo Diet" says canola oil is good, but I've heard its bad. Then that list says to avoid it. That document says to have like 1 tablespoon of olive oil with your meal and to limit your oils. I can put a hurting on some olive oil; sometimes I just grab the bottle and take a few swigs. Whats the general consensus - can you have too much good oils? and what are un-disputed good oils?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Michael Tong

Profile:
Michael... I am not sure that list is fully Paleo either. I am about 98% Paleo since I started. The 2% accounts for salt sometimes, some sweetener in coffee, cheat meals and other misc. In terms of whole foods, its all paleo.

I don't drink fruit juices, regardless of how much it says it is "100% fruit juice" or "all natural". I guess you could make your own fruit juice but, what's the point - you're then missing all the fiber in the fruit itself. Coffee - went from 2 big cups a day to about 2 small cups a week. I drink .5 gallon of green tea a day for its antioxidants.

I also agree that Canola oil should be fine. Canola has the best ratio of Omega 3:6. Far better than olive oil. Also, it doesn't break down like other oils when it is pressed. Other oils will break down in the manufacturing process, which is why some brands will tout "cold-pressed" (less break down when presses are kept to under 108 F)

Eggs should be fine. I limit my intake to a 6 egg omlete per week, and maybe 4-6 hard-boiled eggs as snacks. I use the high omega-3 eggs.

I think I can get obsessive, too. The important thing is to just start, whether that is 80%, 90%, 95%, or 100% Paleo. You're going want to tweak your meal plans anyway, so just get started and see how your body takes to it. You'll be so much better in the long run. I started noticing a difference within 2 weeks.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
Jason Steele

Profile:
Mike-

Go out and get some Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil, you will know it is fresh, etc. There have been numerous threads about this. I personally don't like Canola, I use walnut and olive oils.

If you are craving some fruit juice, make some paleo punch: 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup raspberries. Drop in the blender with 1/2 to 1 cup of water, blend and enjoy. I personally use frozen berries.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
Robert Thompson

Profile:
Some info regarding canola oil: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/conola.html
Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Mike you can get fish oil from the Carlson's site; (W/F safe): http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...6&categid=03a9

We have a store/source in CA that I know isn't a national chain so I just threw the site link in. What I think is interesting is the purity. See the label info below. We looked around a bit and I think this is the best tasting and strongest for the money.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Teaspoonful
Amount Per 1 Teaspoonful % DV
Vitamin E (as d-Alpha tocopherol) 10IU
Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300mg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (from fish oil) 1600mg
Antioxidant Blend 14 mg
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 500mg
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 800mg