CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Carb Loading Pre-workout

I am cranking up my caloric intake another level & reassessing all together my diet in my quest to gain 20# by end of summer.

Today I am beginning pre-workout carb-loading & I am curious to know what an appropriate level of carb loading pre-SS workout would be. I am approx 170#, 6-1, somewhere in the 8% BF range, with a metabolism that makes women hate me (currently 5000/day with GOMAD).
Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Carb Loading Pre-workout

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing.

Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Increasing muscle mass.

*All links wfs*
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Covington View Post
I am approx 170#, 6-1, somewhere in the 8% BF range, with a metabolism that makes women hate me (currently 5000/day with GOMAD).
Now, I hate you too.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Why do you want to carb load prior to training? What is your macro breakdown like?

How are you training if you want to gain 20 lbs? Carb loading is done for prolonged endurance events. Such training is counterproductive to the goal of gaining 20 lbs.

In summary, what the heck are you doing?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
William A Cantrell

Profile:

No need to carb load before... carb loading after is the key here add in approx. 100grams of carbs with 50 grams of protien post workout. Also for weight gain dont foget to eat (or drink some milk and protein) right before bed and upon waking up...this will help greatly.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William A Cantrell View Post
No need to carb load before... carb loading after is the key here add in approx. 100grams of carbs with 50 grams of protien post workout. Also for weight gain dont foget to eat (or drink some milk and protein) right before bed and upon waking up...this will help greatly.
Agreed. Just drink some coconut water before the workout. I don't know about 100/50 after, but the 2:1 ratio sounds good. Maybe 70/35? Also, eating a large breakfast right when you wake up and a decent size meal right before bed is vital.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Are you on SS alone? Or are you on an SS/CF hybrid? If you're just doing SS alone, carb-loading is completely unnecessary. Carb-loading is typically done for aerobically demanding exercises and it's typically used in sports such bicycling, long distance running, etc. You can carb-load for CF, but like Will said, you do it after an instance of aerobic exercise (not anaerobic lifting). As you exercise for over 30min, you utilize a fair amount of your glycogen stores. If you take in a fair amount of simple carbs post-workout, your liver and muscle glycogen will be restored plus some. It's not quite the same with lifting, although you want to get both carbs and protein in your diet within an hour of finishing your workout. A 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein might be a bit extreme, but something around that would work just fine for maximizing protein synthesis and recovery.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Adam Stanley Farrah

Profile:

I know everyone else on here has said carb loading is completely unnecessary but there are a few things I played with a while back that might be worth looking at.

My best training time is in the morning on a an empty stomach. In the past I've tried using a High GI liquid carb source within about 1-2 hours of working out. When I really had this going I would make up the drink the night before. I'd usually wake up about an hour two early (on my own, usually to go to the bathroom) and drink the carbs down on the way back to bed. You can also try doing a dextrose/creatine deal. Those drinks are all over the place.

Something else you can try that I've done during a bigtime mass phase is eating a banana or two DURING a strength workout. I'd usually do that after my 1-2 heaviest exercises.

Basically, play with different scenarios like with and without creatine, different amounts of carbs, different carb sources and different timing. Keep a DETAILED journal and see what makes a difference.

Adam
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Good info guys and sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread.

William, Brent & Brent - typically I take in 25/35/20 ((p/c/f) whey + coconut oil + raisins) immediately post-workout, followed by a full meal an hour later; I am going to play with this a bit and bump that meal closer in to the workout, maybe workout +30min.

Adam - I can't hit it first thing in the morning and even moreso on an empty stomach; I tried it twice, I almost died(or at least felt like it).

Chris - I am trying to pump a few more calories in, hopefully get a bit more "OOMF" in my lifts, and not walkout of the gym with my belt a notch tighter than when I walked in as normal.

Again, thanks for the info and moving forward I think I will just stick with my handful of raisins pre-workout and bumping that 2nd shot post-workout a bit closer in, as I was very pleasantly surprised to find I have added 5# after 2 weeks on SS (I am doing plain old SS, not hybrid).
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
William A Cantrell

Profile:

If your only goal is to gain weight...forget what i said and eat whenever/whatever you can...Carbo loading is a term used by endurence athletes that gorge themselves on pasta and other carbs the night before a race... then dont eat anything race morning so they are "light". While I belive this can be done in a paleo way, and with constant grazing...im not running mega marathons (and im getting off topic)...so to each his own, However I am familer to strength and size gains and you are right you need to eat, eat, eat and then sleep, sleep, sleep as much as your life will allow. This dosent have to be crap but high calories none the less try adding olive/coconut oil to like everything...its any easy way to throw in some cals. Before a workout 3-4 hours out a meal would be good high in protien and moderate in fat carbs are fine but not needed. Post workout (within an hour) Im a believer in the 2-1 ration of carbs to pro . Experiment for yourself...Remember to get heavy (in a good way) Lift heavy, and eat heavy ( alot of clean food).