CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
C2 resistence question

I set a record on 500m for myself tonight of 1:39. Not impressive, but good for me.

My question is when comparing my time to everyone else, how do I know what resistence others are using? I had mine set at 10. Is 10 what is always used in crossfit wod's?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Jesse Gray

Profile:
Re: C2 resistence question

Some guys who are real strong DLers like to set the resistance high but most good rowers put the damper setting at 2 or 3.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
David Reynolds

Profile:

Hey, from what ive heard, it is all personal preference. For example, I am no expert, but i hear that if you are a bigger guy, it is better to put it on 10, hence longer legs, longer torso, so forth. The longer legs you have and the taller you are, for an athlete, the more that wheel is gonna spin no matterwhat. Me, i have short legs and a long torso, so i would have to do like 2 or 3 row revolutions, to equal just one pull like my dad. My dad is like 6'4 260lbs. So 10 for me sucks, cause i can't spin the hell outta that wheel, so i put it on like 3 or 4 and just hall ***
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Setting the damper on 10 is a good way to hurt yourself if you're a smaller guy or if your form isn't perfect. Probably won't happen on a 500m, but I wouldn't want to do it for a 2K. Also keep in mind that damper settings can vary from rower to rower and are affected by temperature, humidity, amount of dust in the fan, etc. so finding the drag factor at a particular damper setting is a far more useful standard to go by.

This thread (WFS) was started by a former competitive rower and should answer all your questions.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Alex Bond

Profile:

Generally athletes more comfortable in endurance situations will prefer a higher damper, since they prefer the longer, slower, pull, whereas more explosive athletes will be better with a lower damper since they can really have a fast, explosive pull. Just setting it on 10 because there is more resistance is wrong, damper doesn't work like incline on a treadmill.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Most CFers have a tendency to just kick it up to 10, however I worked with a CF coach who was a collegiate rower and he was a big advocate of working in the 5-6 range. 10 seems harder, so CFers think they're getting the most intense workout that way, but really a lower setting just means you're going to have a higher stroke rate, therefore covering the same distance as you would at 10 (when your watts/stroke is going to be much higher). At least that's my primitive understanding.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bond View Post
Generally athletes more comfortable in endurance situations will prefer a higher damper, since they prefer the longer, slower, pull, whereas more explosive athletes will be better with a lower damper since they can really have a fast, explosive pull. Just setting it on 10 because there is more resistance is wrong, damper doesn't work like incline on a treadmill.
This. But EXACTLY the opposite.

Strong, explosive athletes will generally see more benefit from having the damper at a higher setting.

But to answer the opening poster's question, it doesn't matter what resistance people are using. 1 isn't going to be easier than 10. In fact, I bet you couldn't pull that same 500m time with the damper set at 1.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Setting the damper on 10 is a good way to hurt yourself if you're a smaller guy or if your form isn't perfect. Probably won't happen on a 500m, but I wouldn't want to do it for a 2K. Also keep in mind that damper settings can vary from rower to rower and are affected by temperature, humidity, amount of dust in the fan, etc. so finding the drag factor at a particular damper setting is a far more useful standard to go by.

This thread (WFS) was started by a former competitive rower and should answer all your questions.
If you haven't taken into consideration this post, I urge you to.

The link posted contains actual real answers, and not opinions nor preferences.

Use it at will.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

CRASH-B rules let you set the damper however you want before the race. In other words, the people who care about such things consider all times to be comparable regardless of damper setting.

(Note that changing the damper during the race is grounds for disqualification.)

Katherine
Old 04-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Great feedback. This helps a great deal.