CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: any free workouts?

#1 - CrossFit IS cardio! Don't believe me? Go ahead and do 10 minutes of "Cindy":

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:
- 5 pullups (or body rows on rings - which can be made in about an hour for $15-$25)
- 10 pushups
- 15 squats

Let us know how you did and how you felt.

#2 - Head over to ************* (W/F/S) and READ READ READ! Then read some more. NUTRITION is, most likely, the primary cause for your HBP. Fix your nutrition, throw in some CrossFit, and you'll fix your BP issues.

#3 The links to the "routines" that Eric posted earlier are LISTS of countless bodyweight WODs (Workouts of the Day) that incorporate CrossFit principals. Start at the top of the list, and work your way down. Or randomly pick them from the list. Doesn't matter. When you get through all of them, start over. Don't repeat the WODs you like, repeat the ones you hate.

#4 Read What is Fitness (W/F/S), the FAQ, and Start Here. Come back here with all of your questions. We'll answer every single one. But you have to show the initiative that you're willing to help yourself by getting educated on the topic.

- Alex
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
#1 - CrossFit IS cardio! Don't believe me? Go ahead and do 10 minutes of "Cindy":

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes:
- 5 pullups (or body rows on rings - which can be made in about an hour for $15-$25)
- 10 pushups
- 15 squats

Let us know how you did and how you felt.

#2 - Head over to ************* (W/F/S) and READ READ READ! Then read some more. NUTRITION is, most likely, the primary cause for your HBP. Fix your nutrition, throw in some CrossFit, and you'll fix your BP issues.

#3 The links to the "routines" that Eric posted earlier are LISTS of countless bodyweight WODs (Workouts of the Day) that incorporate CrossFit principals. Start at the top of the list, and work your way down. Or randomly pick them from the list. Doesn't matter. When you get through all of them, start over. Don't repeat the WODs you like, repeat the ones you hate.

#4 Read What is Fitness (W/F/S), the FAQ, and Start Here. Come back here with all of your questions. We'll answer every single one. But you have to show the initiative that you're willing to help yourself by getting educated on the topic.

- Alex
Thanks Alex, I'll see what I can do. Just to make sure I understand, I can technically perform the same exercises you recommended 5-6 days a week? My doc said that I need at least 30mins of cardio. Will working out only 10 mins/day be sufficient for cardio?

Also, when you recommended the max 10 min sets of 5pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats - are these random numbers or do they mean anything? I'll go in my garage shortly to perform those.

FYI, I can do 9max pullups (without extra jerking that I see in CF exercises), 35 pushups, don't know about the squats, perhaps 20-30 max.

Thanks for the links and I appreciate the help. I'm driving my wife crazy with all the programs I'm buying (p90x, 10 min trainer, trx suspension, rings, etc..)

I don't know if my gym has rowing machine, perhaps time to look for a new gym. Thanks will let you know.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Vladimir, the numbers are goals to reach. There are other exercises which ask you to go to max reps. That one is a toughie, and it's all in the brain, but with the 5, 10, 15 numbers you have to force yourself to get to them. In this case you have to move from exercise to exercise with no rest. You'll see by round 3 that it isn't as easy as it appears to be on paper. That is one of the reasons CF is so bada$$ :P

Regarding your doc, one thing I've learned through experience (unfortunately for me) is that they may know a thing or two about medicine, but generally have no clue whatsoever on how to rehabilitate you. I, for example, got recommended by my surgeon to do leg extensions to help recover my bad knee after surgery. I did that for a year and a bit. But what has truly helped it get stronger has been squats. Doctors might have a general idea on what you should do, but they rarely hit the mark because their recommendations are for a general type of public and not specific. It's always good to take their exercise advise with a bit of skepticism and a pinch of salt.

I'm sorry to hear you're buying so much stuff. CF really is the only thing you need. You'll see that in time.

Good luck with today's workout!

Diego
Old 10-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Vladimir,

Many people have tried to explain Crossfit to you. The workout is posted each day on a three day on, 1 day off schedule on http://www.crossfit.com (wfs) What you see posted each is the workout that you do that day, after an appropriate warm, usually about 10-20 or so. From the Crossfit FAQ page:

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.

I like to work on double unders as part of my warm. That is a good cardio pump for me.

If you are not able to do the WOD (workout of the day) as posted on the website, you should scale to your ability.

This website: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ wfs has each day's WOD scaled for "Big Dawgs", "Pack" or "Puppies". Pick a scaling level and do the WOD with good form and as intense as you are able. If you are unable to do 3 days on, 1 off then start with 1 day on, 3 off but give that one day your most intense effort. Work to 2 on, 2 off, then to 3:1.

IF YOU DO THE ABOVE, YOU WILL GET THE BENEFITS OF "30-60 MINUTES PER DAY" OF CARDIO EXERCISE AS RECOMMENDED BY YOUR DOCTOR. IT MAY NOT BE EXACTLY 30 TO 60 MINUTES, BUT YOU WILL GET THE PHYSIOLOGIC BENEFIT THAT YOUR DOCTOR RECOMMENDS. (Caps added for emphasis, pardon the "shouting")

The program will be different EACH WORKOUT. That is the benefit of the program is that you are CONSTANTLY VARYING your exercise regimen with FUNCTIONAL EXERCISE that you perform AT HIGH INTENSITY.

I know that this next suggestion will not be "free"....find a Crossfit affiliate in your area and follow their programming.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #25
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kalinin View Post
Thanks Alex, I'll see what I can do. Just to make sure I understand, I can technically perform the same exercises you recommended 5-6 days a week?
If by "same exercises" you mean different WODs (rep/time schemes) with similar exercises (pushups, pullups, etc...) then yes. But what you don't want to do is repeat the same 5/10/15 WOD (called "Cindy") 5-6 days per week. That's why you have the entire list of WODs to do.

Quote:
My doc said that I need at least 30mins of cardio. Will working out only 10 mins/day be sufficient for cardio?
Again, try going for a 30 minute jog...then the next day do the 10 minute WOD I listed above. Tell me which one gives you a better "cardio" workout.

Quote:
Also, when you recommended the max 10 min sets of 5pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats - are these random numbers or do they mean anything? I'll go in my garage shortly to perform those.
They are random in the sense that it could just have easily been 4/8/12 or 6/12/18...but that particular rep scheme is how Greg Glassman designed "Cindy" and it happens to be a damn good choice (which is probably NOT an accident or "random" :-)).

Quote:
FYI, I can do 9max pullups (without extra jerking that I see in CF exercises), 35 pushups, don't know about the squats, perhaps 20-30 max.
Those are pretty good numbers to start off with, and they'll go up significantly once you've started CrossFitting and really dial in your technique. Speaking of technique...CrossFitters don't "jerk" they "kip" which is a legitimate technique to increase power output and improving several of the 10 components of fitness.

Quote:
Thanks for the links and I appreciate the help. I'm driving my wife crazy with all the programs I'm buying (p90x, 10 min trainer, trx suspension, rings, etc..)
The good news is that you've found CrossFit...the bad news is that in 2 months you're gonna want to build your own garage gym...LOL

Quote:
I don't know if my gym has rowing machine, perhaps time to look for a new gym.
I couldn't agree more (all links appear to be W/F/S):

- Bulldog CrossFit 10-15 min
- CrossFit Chicago 20-25 min
- Windy City CrossFit 20-25 min
- Atlas CrossFit 20-25 min
- CrossFit Dupage 20-25 min
- CrossFit Roselle 20-25 min
- H.O.T.SIDE CrossFit 30-45 min
- Impact CrossFit 30-45 min
- CrossFit Will County 30-45 min

- Alex
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
Beck Randelin

Profile:

Hey Vladimir - just jumping in here but I think I know where you're coming from - I'm a newbie here too, been lurking for about a month and reading everything I can find. (I'm just a regular person exercising for health -- I've lifted/worked out/taking classes/done videos, etc for about 10 years - losing 65#s in the process.) At first, I was looking for the same thing you were -- a detailed schedule because that's what I was used to seeing from "programs".

Instead, I've found that if I just wait for the WOD, these guys are really, really good at developing broad-based fitness -- including cardiovascular health.

Even the "strength" training WOD's are intense enough to have your heart working nicely - and sometimes downright hard. I bet if you commit to following the program as they advise, your doc will be pleased with the results Maybe schedule some 6-week BP test to ensure your progress as you try this new approach...

Good luck! JMHO... Becky
Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #27
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I'm 33 yr old, but my blood pressure has consistently been in 140-150/90-100 range and doc said to either do cardio or medicine. Regular workouts have not helped the bp.
Do Crossfit right and you'll get a cardio workout.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Do Crossfit right and you'll get a cardio workout.
This. As others have said, try actually doing a few CF metcons before you decide whether you need additional cardio work.

Katherine
Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #29
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Smells like Trolls in here to me. No amount of explaining seems to do much. He's wasting your time.