CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:
any free workouts?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and to the workout world in general. I've started P90x exercise program and joined my gym, unfortunately, I need to do about 30-40 mins of cardio every day to keep my blood pressure healthy, which leaves about 30-40 mins for the workout.

I'd also like to grow my chest muscle and my posture. I'm about 6' 6" and tend lean forward more than I should.

Are there any programs you guys could recommend that can be done together with the running/cardio I am doing Mon - Sat (Fri and Sun off)?

Also, just ordered the EFX rings and would prefer that the program could be based around body weight exercises.

Can cardio be done on the rings as well (various jumping routines, etc..)?

Thanks all in advance.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: any free workouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kalinin View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and to the workout world in general. I've started P90x exercise program and joined my gym, unfortunately, I need to do about 30-40 mins of cardio every day to keep my blood pressure healthy, which leaves about 30-40 mins for the workout.

I'd also like to grow my chest muscle and my posture. I'm about 6' 6" and tend lean forward more than I should.

Are there any programs you guys could recommend that can be done together with the running/cardio I am doing Mon - Sat (Fri and Sun off)?

Also, just ordered the EFX rings and would prefer that the program could be based around body weight exercises.

Can cardio be done on the rings as well (various jumping routines, etc..)?

Thanks all in advance.
Have you tried CF? It's a pretty good program, from what I hear.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739

Bodyweight exercises, both WFS. I'd also recommend reading the FAQ and Start Here. And without knowing any more about your condition, I would guess that your "need" for 30-40 mins of daily cardio probably isn't a real need.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Have you tried CF? It's a pretty good program, from what I hear.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739

Bodyweight exercises, both WFS. I'd also recommend reading the FAQ and Start Here. And without knowing any more about your condition, I would guess that your "need" for 30-40 mins of daily cardio probably isn't a real need.
Well, I'm 33 yr old, but my blood pressure has consistently been in 140-150/90-100 range and doc said to either do cardio or medicine. Regular workouts have not helped the bp.

Thanks, I'll check out the links.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think you should try CF, they say it's pretty awesome; a paleo diet, and some fish oil.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I think you should try CF, they say it's pretty awesome; a paleo diet, and some fish oil.
Thanks, I looked at the workouts, but what i need is a day planner type of workout, outlining what must be done each day.

Is there such a workout available?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, I looked at the workouts, but what i need is a day planner type of workout, outlining what must be done each day.

Is there such a workout available?
http://www.crossfit.com wf/s with the exception of the comments section which can go either way.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Vladimir, more help than is being provided to you already cannot be given without training you personally every day. You're asking us to help you but you're not wanting to help yourself. You've been given a number of links with bodyweight exercises and we'd be more than glad to answer your doubts and questions, but please don't ask us to help you more than you're prepared to help yourself. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it seems like you haven't looked at the links that have been provided for you.
You want bigger pecs? Do push ups. Do sets of 10, 15, 20 push ups. How many can you do? Do them with feet on a bench, do them with feet on the floor, do them with hands at shoulder width, slightly closer, slightly more apart, fingers inwards, forward, outward (as much as feels safe). Do them in the morning, afternoon, evening. Do 100 a day. Do 200 a day. But do them.
Do burpees, do burpees with 5 push ups between jumps, do sets. This will work as cardio and build your pecs.

We're here to help you with any other exercises you'll need / want.

Diego
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Vladimir Kalinin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sommariva View Post
Vladimir, more help than is being provided to you already cannot be given without training you personally every day. You're asking us to help you but you're not wanting to help yourself. You've been given a number of links with bodyweight exercises and we'd be more than glad to answer your doubts and questions, but please don't ask us to help you more than you're prepared to help yourself. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it seems like you haven't looked at the links that have been provided for you.
You want bigger pecs? Do push ups. Do sets of 10, 15, 20 push ups. How many can you do? Do them with feet on a bench, do them with feet on the floor, do them with hands at shoulder width, slightly closer, slightly more apart, fingers inwards, forward, outward (as much as feels safe). Do them in the morning, afternoon, evening. Do 100 a day. Do 200 a day. But do them.
Do burpees, do burpees with 5 push ups between jumps, do sets. This will work as cardio and build your pecs.

We're here to help you with any other exercises you'll need / want.

Diego
Hi Diego,

I don't mind the harshness, but I do want more detail in the program. For example, I know that to prevent over training, I 'm not supposed to work on the same muscle group two days in a row.

So, what i was looking for is may be something like this:

Monday - pushups (3 sets), pullups (2 sets), dips, etc..
Tuesday - squats, jump squats, etc...
Wed...
Thur
Fri
etc..

I appreciate the workout links, but those just show the routines some people follow, and it's not clear if those are daily or weekly routines.

So, this is my dilema. I don't mind paying for the guides. I have the p90x, but the issue I'm having is that it requires free weights, it's about 1 hour each (and I need about 30 mins for cardio, as mentioned already).

Are there any routines that I any of you followed in the beginning that you want to share with me?

To answer your question, I can now do about 30-35 pushups (w/o resting), but I feel my tricepts are doing most of the work, my chest is barely noticeable. Also, being tall, I have a bit of a hunch back, which probably hides the pecks even more.

I've been doing a few p90x lawnmovers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIySNlUsLTU) and those helped with the back, but pushups seem to only work my arms and not chest.

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I don't mind the harshness, but I do want more detail in the program. For example, I know that to prevent over training, I 'm not supposed to work on the same muscle group two days in a row.
Most people here will tell you that's nonsense. It's certainly not at all unusual for the main page workouts to hit the same muscle groups on consecutive days.

As for "more detail," the basic program is that you go to the main page and do what it tells you for that day, scaled and with subs for equipment that you don't have if necessary. Constant variation is part of the point, so you're not going to find a day planner-style routine that you can follow week after week.

Moreover, what you're asking for is essentially a customized routine. Not only do you want a day planner, you want one that accommodates your cardio, and one that depends entirely on bodyweight exercises. For that level of detail, you either need to hire a trainer or program it yourself. It's a bit too much to ask people to give you that for free. Sorry.

Katherine
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

"Overtraining" is caused by people doing more weight than they should and the resultant poor form. CrossFit is universally scalable. Part of the program is knowing your limits and knowing how much you can push them without causing injury. Just like any new physical endeavor you need to "ease" into CF. Watch videos for every exercise and use the forums. Or better yet, find an affiliate and get some advice from people who really know what they're doing.